Widescreen monitor - stretch problem - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a new 22" widescreen monitor thinking this would be a big improvement over my 19" CRT monitor.

However its complete rubbish. The screen is stretched so everything is the wrong size, the text is fuzzy and photos and everything else are less sharp.

I've tried changing the resolution to different settings with no joy, the picture might get sharper but the text becomes tiny. But the real problem is the stretched out picture. I just want to revert to a normal width screen, not widescreen.

I've googled to see what to do, but I can't find any way of doing it. I am very close to dumping this 6 hour old monitor in the wastebin and re-setting up my 5 year old CRT. Can anyone suggest anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

No much idea..

I guess you use Windows... so no idea (BEEN over 8 years Linux only... my last windows was 98 SE (stuggled with it because Millenium sucked)

Try to check the config of your graphic card.

But do not throw it away! Return it
#3 Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you try 1680 X 1050? Usually works for a 22" widescreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#5 Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Definitely sounds like a case of not running in the native resolution. There's only one acceptable resolution on these widescreen monitors, anything else looks like crap.
#6 Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

You do not have the right driver installed. I have seen this problem many times. The right driver will make the display look absolutely fabulous.

Then you need to select the right resolution. Most 19" widesreens run at 1440x900 or something similar. Check the box your monitor came in. You need to know its native resolution is and set it to that.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the new monitor. You just need to get it set up properly.

Also, check for dead pixels. If there are only a couple, that is normal. More than 5, most manufacturers will replace it.

How do I install the right driver? I don't really know what a driver is but anyway!

NB. This is a 22", not a 19".

I checked the dead pixel tester, thanks.

I really am totally clueless when it comes to computers, so appreciate your help here.
#7 Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Any luck finding out what resolution is recommended for this monitor? Right click on the desktop and go to Properties, and the go to the Settings tab. There should be a slider to select the resolution. If the monitor was detected properly, the highest resolution available is the correct resolution to be using. The correct resolution is so very important with these wide screen monitors.
#8 Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Any luck finding out what resolution is recommended for this monitor? Right click on the desktop and go to Properties, and the go to the Settings tab. There should be a slider to select the resolution. If the monitor was detected properly, the highest resolution available is the correct resolution to be using. The correct resolution is so very important with these wide screen monitors.

I have tried all settings and they're all rubbish. I think if I can solve the root problem of the stretchedness, then the resolution will fall into place.
#9 Old 11-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

I am very close to dumping this 6 hour old monitor in the wastebin and re-setting up my 5 year old CRT. Can anyone suggest anything?

Usually, when you buy a monitor it comes with an instruction booklet that includes a web address from which you can download the latest driver or drivers. If you have lost or cannot find an instruction booklet, who is the manufacturer of your monitor? What is the model number? Try visiting their website or Googling for that information.
#10 Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually you can find drivers on the manufacturer's website, using various numbers you find on the monitor for the model and such. Assuming it's not your video card needing them, then you'd have to find out what that is (run > dxdiag should tell you).

Once you have the right drivers, the maximum settings for resolution is the right one.
#11 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone.

Its a Samsung T220. I have downloaded the correct drivers and amended the resolution to 1680 x 1050, and the stretchedness has gone, thank god!

The only thing I don't like is that everything is so much smaller. Do you know how to make it bigger again?
#12 Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

You could potentially see if there's any other screen resolutions that when you divide them are either 1.6 (1680/1050) or .625 (1050/1680). Actually that's a good thing if you do full screen games within the game itself (making the screen resolution right). While the screen would be bigger.... the things shouldn't be "stretched" as much as say if you picked a resolution that's not the same number when divided. Some display adapters show you a mini monitor for what the monitor should look like -- some aren't widescreen, some are a different sized widescreen (widescreen TVs for your home are like 16:9, computer monitors are 16:10)

But as for my monitor... text is really small overall I just had to get used to it (it appeared to be about 50-70% the size of my old monitor). There might not be a good solution.
#13 Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I've tried all the other resolutions, they all make the text fuzzy and stretch out the screen again.

There must be a way of making everything a bit bigger without the stretchedness?
#14 Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Not unless there's a "adjust font size DPI" somewhere.... I know vista has it (in the "appearance and personalization" area (so probably in the display settings or something in others).

Basically, vista has 96 (default) and 120 (larger) size ---- I believe it just increases the font sizes, while keeping the screen resolution the same. Whether it looks funny or not, I haven't a clue as I've got everything as the default.
#15 Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

In the properties (right click on desktop in xp) "appearance" tab you can change font size.

Although, unless you actually have trouble reading it, you will eventually get used to it.
#16 Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

In the properties (right click on desktop in xp) "appearance" tab you can change font size.

Although, unless you actually have trouble reading it, you will eventually get used to it.

Agree 100%. It always takes your eyes awhile to adjust going to a higher resolution. But well worth it with all the work space you gain. I remember back in the day pushing 17" CRTs to 1600x1200 and people in my household standing behind me with their eyes watering trying to see my screen
#17 Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Right, thanks everyone as I have finally got it all absolutely perfect.

I changed the DPI setting from 90 to 120, but noticed that the text size on the internet was still the same tiny size, so I increased that to a larger size.

However I then noticed that when I opened a new internet page, the text had gone back to the small size and had to be increased again manually. So then I changed the internet settings to a minimum text font size of 14.

Now the stretchedness has gone and I can actually read the screen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page