Password protected windows xp account - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I just moved out of my parents house and my computer was password protected. I made an account for my mom too so she can see me on yahoo with the webcam and also because I don't want her to use my account. But I can't remember the password and i'd give her mine but I don't want her to see personal things there and I know she'd be nosey enough to look around. So is there anyway to get to her account without knowing the password? Or even erasing everything and starting over? She may take it to someone that would know which means she'd most likely look at my account too if she had the chance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM

There's an easy way to do it using a linux live boot disk. If you download backtrack from www.remote-exploit.org and burn it to a disk I can probably walk you through it if you need help. The following are the steps going from memory:

1) Load and boot from the backtrack disc

2) Mount the windows partition as read-write, it should be something like mount -o rw /dev/sda1 or mount -o rw /dev/hda1 (depending if it is an IDE connected drive or sata)

3) change directory into the folder holding the sam database, it should be something like cd /mount/sda1/windows/system32/config or /mount/hda1/windows/system32/config

4) run the chntpw command, this is a script that launches ntpasswd with an easy to use interface, if I remember right, the command is "/pentest/password/chntpw -i ./SAM" - Let me know if this does not work, I'm going off my bad memory

5) from here my memory gets foggy, there's a command to see available users(it should display what the commands are when you run chntpw) and then you specify the user you want to reset the password for, it will ask you for the password you want to change it to, or I think you can type in * to make it a blank password. It will let you know the exact syntax.

6) save the changes and reboot by running the init 6 command, this should auto eject the cd for you

7) log into windows with no password or the password you just saved it to
#3 Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned

did you set yourself as an administrator? if you did, you can log in as you, just go right into the control panel, select her account, and change her password.

if the problem is distance (you can't get to the comp) and you have another computer perhaps remote assist could help with doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you can just change her password as long as you are the root user (administrator).

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#5 Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Oh yeah, that would be easier. I misread it the first time and thought the poster had access to the PC but no rights to login.

If you don't have physical acccess, Windows XP and Media Center have terminal services and remote desktop(home edition does not). Whether or not it is enabled is a different story. I believe by default it is turned off so this may not work.

If the PC is behind a router, you'll need to make changes to turn on port forwarding to port 3389 to the PC you want to access. If you have a direct connection(usually cable modem) you won't need to make any adjustments.

You'll need to know the IP address of the computer(with no direct access to the PC, you may have to call the ISP). Open up remote desktop on your computer through the run dialog box(click start, run - or hit the windows key + r) and type in mstsc and hit enter. This will open up the remote desktop client. Enter in the IP address of the remote PC and it should let you connect if terminal services is enabled on it. This will allow you to log in remotely and change the password for that user.
#6 Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there anyway to just erase everything? We aren't exactly on good terms and I don't want to go change it in the house and i'm not sure how they would react about me coming back.But i'd rather do that than taking a chance on her being nosey and looking around my account if she can get to it. If she can hire someone to overide the password she could look through all of my stuff. I didn't have time to clear out everything before I left like I wanted to. Its a very old computer so I think its better to clear it out and start over. My mom has a new laptop and a computer upstairs , walking up the stairs is hard on her knees so she tries not to if she doesn't have to. So really she has 2 working computers so theres no need for mine, she would be better off just buying another one if she really wanted to.

So, there is a way for her to hire someone to get through the password?
#7 Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 PM

If someone has physical access to a PC, there is no security that can keep them out. It's just a matter of if they know how and if they're willing to go through the trouble. Laws vary by state, but Texas just adopted a law that would require anyone to bypass security to snoop for data to have a Public Investigators license. There are at least two other states I know that are the same way. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remote wipe a machine.

Chances are though, they aren't going to go through all that trouble. Just tell them the PC was having problems before you left and it needs to be replaced or be reloaded. If you don't have a Windows CD handy, you might want to burn a linux disc. I know Ubuntu has a pretty straight forward install and it will do a low level wipe of the drive. If all that they want the PC for is for web surfing, Ubuntu will work fine with no linux experience.
#8 Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Banned

wouldn't reformatting erase everything?
#9 Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM

A format does a low level erase, but the poster will still need a boot disc in order to do a format. An OS disc is usually the easiest way as it leaves the computer usuable after the installation is finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page