iPod, Zune or MP3 Player? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I need some sort of music player to use when running and I have NO IDEA what the differences are between them!! I heard if you get an iPod you can only add music to it with one computer and I'm moving in about 4 months so I won't be using the same computer. Is that true or is there an iPod I can buy where I can download music from more than one PC? Any suggestions or opinions on what to buy? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Ipods can be a bit of a pain but i love mine anyway. You can authorize your ipod to play on 5 computers (though i dont know how to unauthorize them). I would get a zune or someother mp3 player.
#3 Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM

I love my ipod, but yes there is a downside to the fact that you can only use one computer to put songs on it. If you decide to use another computer you have to erase all the songs you have on it and start all over. I didn't know this when I bought mine unfortunately... although I'm sure there's probably a way around it. If you are going to use it just for jogging I would suggest getting an ipod mini or just look around at other small mp3 players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't have to start all over, its possible to authorize multiple computers using itunes. It's all possible to back up your music so if something happens to the computer it wont erase all the music next time you sync.

Try Best Buy for mp3 players, mine has a pretty good selection of non-ipod players. Nearly all of them are small enough to take running.
#5 Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

Ipods can be a bit of a pain but i love mine anyway. You can authorize your ipod to play on 5 computers (though i dont know how to unauthorize them). I would get a zune or someother mp3 player.

That's nice to know.
#6 Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you go into the iTunes store via iTunes, and login to your account on the top right, and then click "view account", you will see where it says "Computer Authorizations" and by it is the button to de-authorize all 5 computers.

Unfortunately, you can only de-authorize ALL of them, not individual machines.

What's more obnoxious is that you can only de-authorize ONCE per calendar year.

(I just found this out after replacing my hard drive on my laptop. So, I'm stuck looking at my songs til the end of May, when I can de-authorize and then re-authorize and hear my friggin' music! )

Other than the above situations, I enjoy having my iPod and use it almost every day.

ETA: The above iTunes directions are for the Win version, not the Mac version, which is probably different.
#7 Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

I HATE iPods, iTunes and Apple. I have that annoying shuffle and I can't give that thing away, it's valueless and old technology now I guess. A friend bought me some albums from her iTunes account and because they are M4p, I can't take them off iTunes and put them on Windows Media Player and/or burn them onto disk. So I had to download the albums over again on a torrent site. Hate, hate Apple.

The boy bought me a Zune and it seems to be great so far.
#8 Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Ipod. Nano or shuffle for running. I love my ipods and would not be without them. I think the fact you can only add music on one computer is totally false. I have never had an issue with mine or anyone elses ipods with adding music manually at least. If you set it to automatically update then yes i spot a problem, but otherwise it's pretty easy.
#9 Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Ipod. Nano or shuffle for running. I love my ipods and would not be without them. I think the fact you can only add music on one computer is totally false. I have never had an issue with mine or anyone elses ipods with adding music manually at least. If you set it to automatically update then yes i spot a problem, but otherwise it's pretty easy.

You can authorize 5 computers per iTunes account.

If it's music you own (like a CD or something) you can share it all you want.

It's just purchased music that you can only share so much.
#10 Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

If you go into the iTunes store via iTunes, and login to your account on the top right, and then click "view account", you will see where it says "Computer Authorizations" and by it is the button to de-authorize all 5 computers.

Unfortunately, you can only de-authorize ALL of them, not individual machines.

What's more obnoxious is that you can only de-authorize ONCE per calendar year.

(I just found this out after replacing my hard drive on my laptop. So, I'm stuck looking at my songs til the end of May, when I can de-authorize and then re-authorize and hear my friggin' music! )

Other than the above situations, I enjoy having my iPod and use it almost every day.

ETA: The above iTunes directions are for the Win version, not the Mac version, which is probably different.

Thanks! Don't know how I kept that button. I adore my ipod and use it every day but if I got a new mp3 player I would NOT be getting an ipod. I've also stopped buying music from itunes because of the authorization issue.
#11 Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Zune and love it, you can d/l on 2 computers and still sync them and for a monthly fee you can load up you player and computer but you can't burn them to cd. Zune software is easy to use and it keeps track of songs played and it can sync wirelessly as well as communicate and "send" songs to other Zune users!
#12 Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome!! Thanks guys!! Seeing as my computer/tech knowledge is limited to here, MySpace and my email I understood about 1/2 of what everyone said but you guys defnitely answered my question!! Thanks!! Peace & Love!! MUAH!!
#13 Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

What have you decided to get?
#14 Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't really decided yet. I'm going to go actually look at them and I'm still a little confused as what the differences are. Do they all do the same thing? I see MP3 players for 30 bucks and iPods for about 70. I don't even know how the hell you get music on them... I'm tellin' ya I'm REALLY technologically declined
#15 Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

An ipod is like the diamond ring of the mp3 player world except that apple makes sure they are a pain in the ass to use. They all play mp3 but have different extra features. Getting the music onto them is usually pretty simple. Hook up the cord to the player and your usb port and add the music to the folder of the player or use the software it might come with.
#16 Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

An ipod is like the diamond ring of the mp3 player world except that apple makes sure they are a pain in the ass to use. They all play mp3 but have different extra features. Getting the music onto them is usually pretty simple. Hook up the cord to the player and your usb port and add the music to the folder of the player or use the software it might come with.

So ipods ARE mp3 players? iPod is just the brand it's not it's own entity??
#17 Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep
#18 Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

I HATE iPods, iTunes and Apple.

Well, at least your objective.

Quote:
I can't take them off iTunes and put them on Windows Media Player and/or burn them onto disk.

I've never had trouble burning to a disc. Select songs, push one button. I'm not sure how much easier it can be.

For the record I'm on my second iPod (Mandy now has the first, I outgrew it) and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if anything should happen to this one. I love it.

If you're looking at one of the less expensive models (Shuffle or Nano) and money is a factor I'd probably just go with something cheaper. With Apple products part of what you're paying for is the name and styling.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Well, at least your objective.

I was being objective. I have experience with all things Apple and I despise them. Not sure what the problem is with that... it's an opinion.

Quote:
I've never had trouble burning to a disc. Select songs, push one button. I'm not sure how much easier it can be.

Burning to disc was never the problem itself. The problem is that I want to convert the songs from M4P to MP3. If the songs are in M4p form when you burn them, they are in M4p form on the cd as well. So I can't take the cd and put it in Windows Media Player (the only player I use) because it doesn't reconize M4p, only iTunes does. I can't convert my music. And as I stated in my post, a friend bought the albums for me on her account and I can't access her account, so I am stuck with having them as M4ps.
#20 Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

There'll be a converter somewhere on the internet. I've got one that takes avi or mpeg and converts it to mp4 so there should be one that goes backwards.

I got an iPod 'classic' for christmas. I was going to get the 8gb nano but it was only £20 more for the 80gb classic so I thought I might as well lol. I don't think I'll ever use that much seeing as it's bigger than my laptop's hard drive lol. I absolutly love it, music for on the way to uni, movies for breaks inbetween lectures.

I haven't used iTunes to buy tracks though, and never plan to. I'd rather buy the album on CD and have the hard copy and cheaper than iTunes.
#21 Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

There'll be a converter somewhere on the internet. I've got one that takes avi or mpeg and converts it to mp4 so there should be one that goes backwards.

I believe that you can purchase a program that will allow you to convert the files but I don't have money for that. Anyway, I already downloaded the m4P albums from a torrent site as MP3s so I don't even care about converting them anymore. iTunes can have them. I am going to delete my iTunes account when I get my Zune downloads finished and I've gotten rid of my Shuffle. I just dislike how iTunes/iPod are so un-user-friendly. It's insane how you get absolutely no manual at all. My Shuffle was an [unwanted] gift, so I didn't really get to choose what kind of MP3 Player I wanted to start with. There are enough different brands of players out now that everyone should be able to find one that suits them.
#22 Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

An ipod is like the diamond ring of the mp3 player world ...

You mean like shiny and expensive, but not the most practical investment?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
#23 Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Exactly! Pretty but full of problems
#24 Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

You can authorize 5 computers per iTunes account.

If it's music you own (like a CD or something) you can share it all you want.

It's just purchased music that you can only share so much.

I have no experience of itunes store music and never will! For most people itunes store should not come into it when purchasing an ipod it's about the music you already own or will download from elsewhere (legal or possibly not). I was referring to the fact that when you swap an ipod between computers it will NOT wipe the whole thing and put the itunes playlist of that computer on there. This is the myth everyone uses as an excuse to not buy an ipod, or at least it's the one i hear the most, the only issue i've come across on a new classic was swapping between a mac and a PC.

I have to agree with whoever said they don't like apple as a company, but the ipod is a great product, no one who knows anything can deny that. If you use itunes as your primary music player it's so user friendly and idiot proof. Even my 53 year old mother who is a total technophobe has one and uses it confidently. It's well designed from both a look and user friendly perspective, it's an intuitive product to use and it is one of the best music players out there. I've used a few and the ipod is the best i've come across.

By the way Nickle as i said before, if you are buying the player for running/exercise i highly recommend getting an Ipod nano or an Ipod shuffle as these use flash/static memory. I used to use my Ipod classic when i ran and it did have a few issues at times (nothing major). They're also smaller so work well for exercise too.
#25 Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I got a nano for Christmas from my FIL and I love it!! I haven't actually even used itunes for downloading music yet. I put all my favotite CD's on it, put (legal) music from my BIL's ipod on mine which everyone told me ipod made impossible since his computer got stolen and all his itunes were lost. It's actually very user friendly.

It takes me a minute to learn a new program but this was really really easy. I'd had a Sansa prior to this that I never ever used. I found it mislabeled and miscategorized everything. Not intuitive at all which is what I would think you would want. A major plus, for me at least, is the podcasts, which I assume you can get everywhere but itunes makes this simply one click. It's really nice. The MP3 player I had before was impossible to figure out, imo. And yeah, it would make running so much more enjoyable
#26 Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you would be happier with either an iPod or a Zune, not a generic MP3 player. Both iPod and Zune work in a similar way. I personally am on my 2nd ipod (1st one was stolen) and I would buy an iPod again.
#27 Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I got my son's hand me down 30g iPod Photo for Xmas 2006 and I absolutely love it. I have never bought any music off of iTunes and have mainly ripped my CDs to put them on the iPod. I rip them at the highest bitrate, so I can only fit about 3700 songs on my iPod. I only put my 3, 4 and 5 star rated songs on it.

I love being able to have the music I love anywhere I go.

I'd get another iPod, but I'd probably check out other players as well to see if they have different features I want.

I have all of my music and books on CD on my work computer (60+ gigs) and will have to purchase an external hard drive to put it on if I ever leave.
#28 Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to add one more thing I don't know about other MP3 players but I love all my ipod accessories. Being able to take my ipod into the car and have it play on the stereo, then into the house and play on that stereo is so awesome I love it's portability with the transmitter. There's lots of cool stuff like that so take that into consideration too.
#29 Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I got my first iPod recently and I like it a lot. I got the FM transmitter so I can play it in the car and that just rocks!! I have my own collection from downloads and CDs on it as well as songs purchased from iTunes. It is easy to use and I would recommend it. I got the 3rd generation (newest) Nano which can play videos. So cool!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#30 Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I forgot tomention with the ZUNE you can play videos, podcasts and it also has a FM radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page