Online photo gallery - ok html experts, come out of the woodwork ;-) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

My husband and I run a punk-rock webzine... we have for several years. But... we are not exactly the greatest at webdesign. I can do simple HTML, but that's about the extent of it. I'm not afraid of programming, I do a lot of it at work actually, but I just don't know HTML terribly well and don't have a lot of time to become an "expert" especially with java and other languages taking over ;-)

A fan of ours helped us spiff up the site early on - we now have "templates" we use to post CD reviews, show reviews, interviews and so-on. We also have thumbnails on the reviews so people can call up pictures we've taken at shows, etc.

What I'd really like to do is make a really simple photo gallery. We have thousands.... thousands.... of pictures. They are all on the website server, in different directories, but I'd like to be able to just link those locations to a simple template for a nice looking photo gallery that I can organize by band/date. Anyone know of a good template I can use (legally - I'm not wanting to copy someone's work who wouldn't want me to ;-) )?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

It shouldn't really be that hard. It would just be a table. I could probably write a very basic layout. Is there an example somewhere of what you want?

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#3 Old 03-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.elated.com seems like it might have some interesting designs on it. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, though.

I had to make a whole website based on a fictitious company as my final project for a web design class a few years ago. I still have the book for it, with all the coding, etc. One of the pages on the project was a gallery page. I'm pretty rusty with all of that, so I don't know how much help I would be, but if you needed anything, I could try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

Thanks for the offers of help, guys!!! So sweet of both of you. I don't really have an example of somewhere what I want... do you have a snapfish account? I'd just like to be able to have "albums" based on the show and the date, where people can look for the ones they want. Really simple.
#5 Old 03-05-2006, 12:01 PM

Try Web Album Generator. Free and Simple. Makes thumbnails and does all the coding in basic html (no java or css). There's a sample webpage as well, follow the...

LINKAGE: http://www.ornj.net/
#6 Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like you want something that will pull the images right out of the folders for you, but most don't work that way. Usually you either have a php gallery and upload the photos to a MySQL database, or you use an offline program to organize and create the whole thing, then upload everything afterwards. Here's one: http://jalbum.net/

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#7 Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM

I'd investigate flickr.com if I were you. They've done all the work for you. You just have to upload the pictures.

http://www.flickr.com
#8 Old 03-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never used this, but I've seen more than one photo album using this software.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page