Takes 4Ever to Shut Windows Down - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I attempt to shut my computer down using the normal routine...(click start menu, select turn off computer)...it seems to take forever to shut down Windows. As a matter of fact, I have to repeat the shut down process several times. I've attempted Control-Alt-Delete to access the task manager to see if something is still running, but have had no success. At times I have had to resort to holding the power button until my computer shuts down. My computer is less than a year old, with minimal use. I've got the appropriate virus software and popup blockers installed. It is almost as if an application is continuing to run and holding up the shut down process? How can I determine what might be hanging up the works?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm no techie, but I'll take a stab at this: Perhaps there's spyware messing up your computer. Do you also have anti-spyware software installed? If not, go to http://www.lavasoft.com and install Ad-Aware. They have a free version for personal use. I run it on both my home and work pooters every week.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 02-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Get rid of Windows, it's a pile of trash.

http://www.ubuntu.com this is nice and easy to use and is free-software. Oh it also doesn't get virus' or spyware or any of those other problems that Windows suffers from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 PM

This happens to me all the time. I've just grown to accept it even though it's annoying as crap. Do you also have to close programs, only to find you still have to go to start shutdown again and again? Same thing with ctrl+alt+del a program. It freaking takes forever.

By the way, I was dual-booting ubuntu for a while, but I got tired of grub having ubuntu be the default OS, because I would usually boot into windows, so I had to sit and wait for my computer to get to grub so I could select windows. So I uninstalled it. I'm thinking later I will install it again, though. Other than that minor annnoyance ubuntu was pretty sweet.
#5 Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

It's actually possible that a program that you installed didn't completely remove some things when it was done.

Might sound a bit strange... but there are some PCs that if a program was installed, for some reason the shutdown/log off took over a minute. A new program was installed, and the shutdown/log off took under 15 seconds. Like an installer glitch with things.

Actually, it could be the anti-virus or firewall that isn't closing down and causing the problems. Many windows PCs that I've seen can run up to 10x quicker if they don't have virus protection on them.

You could just bring up the task list (ctrl-alt-del) and check the number of processes... generally, with anti-virus programs/etc that the computer runs by default, there's between 40-50 processes running. Over that, and something might not of closed properly, under that, and well, you probably don't have any unnecessary programs running.

Any programs such as boink (program that shares processor usage for projects) should probably be closed prior to exiting the PC. It takes a few extra seconds to a "program isn't responding" popup sometimes. Likewise, any programs in the system tray, that you don't use, should probably be closed. Many of them just sit there and screw with the startup/shutdown of the pc.
#6 Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robofish77 View Post

This happens to me all the time. I've just grown to accept it even though it's annoying as crap. Do you also have to close programs, only to find you still have to go to start shutdown again and again? Same thing with ctrl+alt+del a program. It freaking takes forever.

By the way, I was dual-booting ubuntu for a while, but I got tired of grub having ubuntu be the default OS, because I would usually boot into windows, so I had to sit and wait for my computer to get to grub so I could select windows. So I uninstalled it. I'm thinking later I will install it again, though. Other than that minor annnoyance ubuntu was pretty sweet.

Just change the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to make Windows the default OS.

ETA: You'll see a line that says default=0, 0 is the first listed OS, 1 is the second, etc. You'll just need to change it to default=1.
#7 Old 02-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww you beat me too it rainbow.

I was going to say you just have to change one character to make it boot Windows first.

Kubuntu might be perferable for people that really like Windows, but want to get rid of its problems but have a similar system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page