Blizzard prohibits "gay-friendly" guilds in World of Warcraft! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
POPULAR MAKER OF ONLINE GAME WORLD OF WARCRAFT CITES A GAMER FOR HARASSMENT FOR USING THE TERM 'GLBT'; OTHER GAY GUILDS REQUEST CLARIFICATION

Sara Andrews thought it was a big misunderstanding when she received an e-mail from a game master in Blizzard Entertainment's popular online role playing game "World of Warcraft" citing her for "Harassment - Sexual Orientation."

Andrews had posted that she was recruiting for a "GLBT friendly" guild in a general chat channel within the game.

Believing that her notice had been accidentally flagged, she e-mailed Blizzard to correct the problem. Blizzard, to Andrews' surprise, upheld the decision.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.innewsweekly.com/innews/?...icle_code=1172

I don't even play WoW (nor am I gay), but that sucks. I can kind of understand their point, in that they feel like those guilds will get harassed, but it's a double standard--they allow religious guilds, etc.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Vegan Police Officer

If someone said they were recruiting for a "heterosexual friendly guild"... what would be the reaction, I wonder.

I suspect it would raise a big outcry.

I think sexual orientation should be left out of game guilds.
#3 Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a minefield, and Blizzard is going to come out looking badly no matter how they decide. I can understand their desire to keep sexual orientation out of the game, but I'm not sure they'll succeed. I'm interested in seeing how this develops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm...their reasoning seems very flawed to me.
#5 Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

this is an abuse of their authority and gamers don't take kindly to occasions when the benevolent invisible hand of the GMs become an iron fist.

GLBT? doesn't that mean any guys or girls that play characters of the other gender need to stop because they are transgender roleplaying?

Quote:
Stonewall Champions and The Spreading Taint, two large gay guilds are currently formulating a letter they plan to submit to Blizzard requesting a more detailed explanation as to the intent of this reinterpretation and execution of the sexual harassment rule. As the spirit of the harassment rule seems to have been reinterpreted from protecting GLBT players, to keeping them silent.

totally.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#6 Old 01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it's an abuse of their authority. As a parallel, I have a friend who runs a website that absolutely bans any real-world political or religious talk. Recently he had to warn people who were quoting scripture in their sigs. His rule was, it doesn't matter if you portray it positively or negatively, it doesn't belong here.

I see Blizzard's position as the same; this is a site for playing a game, not talking about your sexuality, positively or negatively. Roleplay your character however you like, but leave real-life stuff out of it. If that's what they want to do, it's their right to. And, of course, anyone who dislikes that policy has a right to take their business elsewhere.

My only problem right now is that Blizzard seems very vague on what it wants to do. The roleplaying nature of the game adds another difficult aspect to the debate. Which is why I said I'll be interested in seeing how this progresses. This kaffuffle is good because it will force Blizzard to clarify their too-broad guidelines.

Incidentally, I write World of Warcraft roleplaying supplements for Sword & Sorcery, a very gay-friendly company that Blizzard decided to license WoW to. (Sword & Sorcery is owned by White Wolf, one of the first companies to strike sexist language from their books and use homosexual characters in their literature and game book examples).
#7 Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I might care if it wasn't gamers and windows users.
#8 Old 01-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, gamers are people too!

I can't comment on the Windows users.
#9 Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Incidentally, I write World of Warcraft roleplaying supplements for Sword & Sorcery, a very gay-friendly company that Blizzard decided to license WoW to. (Sword & Sorcery is owned by White Wolf, one of the first companies to strike sexist language from their books and use homosexual characters in their literature and game book examples).

rock on, i love Ravenloft. White Wolf also made the first really really bad prime time vampire soapopera and first extremely inane lawsuit from an RPG company that thinks it invented modern vampires.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#10 Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

White Wolf also made the first really really bad prime time vampire soapopera

Ah yes...I remember it...good times, good times.

I love Ravenloft too.
#11 Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Err.. what if they are roleplaying gays and want to meet other gays? WoW sucks! Come play Achaea!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#12 Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Proprietary software sucks, go play nethack.
#13 Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Blizzard isn't too nice of a company. First they flex their proprietary power by shutting down the bnetd project which implemented a free service similar to bnet. Now they have this no gay policy in WoW.

I agree with saytagraha give up the opressive software and join us in using software that protects our digital freedom.
#14 Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that freecraft thing was really bad, I can't believe they were actually able to get it shutdown.

I need to learn to play nethack one day actually, I hear that it's great.

There are things like planeshift, and the mana world and a couple of other free-software RPGs, but not enough. The real problem is finding artists.
#15 Old 01-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

Yeah, that freecraft thing was really bad, I can't believe they were actually able to get it shutdown.

I need to learn to play nethack one day actually, I hear that it's great.

There are things like planeshift, and the mana world and a couple of other free-software RPGs, but not enough. The real problem is finding artists.

I think the reason games don't take off in the free software world like applications do is because games are somewhat disposable. When someone starts a project it is usually to accomplish a particular task. But games don't solve anything, they just provide entertainment. So once the entertainment is received one would want to move to another game. So it seems like it might not be worth a developers time to create a game that takes 2 years to develop to provide 6 months of play time.
#16 Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I have seen that theory argued. I think that a game just needs to be good and can be continually updated and improved.

When I can program well enough I hope to start building a large RPG game combining elements of many other types of games. The big problem really is artwork.
#17 Old 02-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I play World of Warcraft and I'm bisexual. I'm a member of an excellent guild, and I guess probably most of the members are hetero but I've never taken a survey. I absolutely think that LGBT guilds should be permitted. If they want to prohibit guilds that bring in controversial real life issues, they should band all guilds that have religious and political affiliations. I think it's discriminatory to only prohibit gay friendly guilds.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#18 Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I would still like to know what would happen if someone opened a guilt which was "heterosexual only". Would they not be accused of being discriminatory and homophobic? Perhaps the administrators are trying to avoid that kind of problem... they are perhaps seeing things from a different viewpoint and see areas which could cause trouble in the future.
#19 Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I would still like to know what would happen if someone opened a guilt which was "heterosexual only". Would they not be accused of being discriminatory and homophobic? Perhaps the administrators are trying to avoid that kind of problem... they are perhaps seeing things from a different viewpoint and see areas which could cause trouble in the future.

Was the guild gay only? or GLBT friendly?
#20 Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Was the guild gay only? or GLBT friendly?

If I understood correctly, it was a "GLBT Friendly" guild.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#21 Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

If I understood correctly, it was a "GLBT Friendly" guild.

So then there isn't any discrimination. If there was a hetero only community then that would actively discriminate against the GLBT community. Now if there was a hetero friendly guild (and honestly what guild isn't?) then it also isn't discriminating.

So Diana I am not sure what your point is. Can you explain further?
#22 Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

The part that I find discriminatory is that guilds that have political and religious affiliations are allowed, Christian guilds and the like, but a guild that reaches out to GLBT players is banned. If all guilds that had affiliations with external groups were prohibited, that would be fine. Some people feel that outside considerations like religion, sexuality and politics don't belong in a game environment, and I can understand that belief. But it's discriminatory to call a GLBT guild offensive, IMHO. I don't really see what the big deal for the non-GLBT people is, anyway. If you're not GLBT/friendly, don't join a GLBT/friendly guild.

#23 Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

wow that's rediculous. it's not like they said heteros can't join. who's business is it what kind of guild they make as long as it's not harming anyone else. racist guilds for example shouldn't be allowed. then again can you imagine what would happen if someone started an african american only guild? they wouldn't have the guts to shut that one down i bet!

some people prefer to leave the real world out of gaming, yes, but not everyone. some people might enjoy chatting and getting to know their guild members, so having a guild of people with similar lifestyles could be a good thing for those people. i've seen guilds for people who live in the same area, for example. anyone who doesn't like it can just not join that kind of guild. it's not like there's a lack of choices there

silliness.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#24 Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't like the requirements, then don't use the software.

No-one is forcing you to support these ethically lacking companies, you all choose to do it out of your own free will.
#25 Old 02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

some people prefer to leave the real world out of gaming, yes, but not everyone.

Which is WoW sucks as a RP game.

And ditto to what Satyagraha says. Play something from a half-way decent company.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#26 Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

The RP servers are full immersion and OOC is not allowed except in the general channels. Even then, it's discouraged. And you can always leave general if that bothers you. All /says, /tells, and /p is supposed to be IC. Guilds have the option to be light rp, moderate rp, or heavy rp as far as their guild chat is concerned. One of my rp server guilds is heavy rp and everything is IC. Another is more casual and allows some OOC in guild chat as long as it's tagged OOC.

#27 Old 02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

#28 Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

well, you can tell me not to play WoW all you want but i like it and can't see quitting based on your dislike of certain software companies. myself i just can't seem to give a crap.

ceryna i thought about starting a char in an rp server but i don't think i'd be able to keep up with it i've made a couple pretty good friends outside of the guild though, just people i quested with a couple times and now we group and/or chat almost every time we're on. there's also the odd non-game related conversation in PD guild chat when they're not all doing some big raid. i've been thinking about looking for a more casual guild though, they're usually too serious and too busy for the likes of me

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#29 Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Geez... That above google video is even funnier now after reading that.
#30 Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
A Blizzard spokesman said it was only trying to enforce a policy designed to protect all WoW members from being harassed. And in fairness, in a gaming world where many players are young, male and prone to hurling insults, that the company wants to avoid potential problems makes sense.

Quote:
"We encourage community building among our players with others of similar interests, and we understand that guilds are one of the primary ways to forge these communities," the company said in a statement. "However, topics related to sensitive real-world subjects--such as religious, sexual or political preference, for example--have had a tendency to result in communication between players that often breaks down into harassment."

Makes sense to me. They're game-makers, not babysitters.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page