Favorite podcasts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering what kinds of podcasts anyone listens to. I started downloading them to listen to at work.

For example I listen to Erik Marcus's Diner at http://www.vegan.com/diner/eriksdiner.rss

And the Infidel Guy at www.infidelguy.com/infidelguy_shows.rss

I've looked at many of the directories, but it's hard to know what's good without just downloading and listening. Any good review columns out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what a podcast is (don't own an iPod or anything like one) but I do know mp3 downloads. I do like to listen to radio theater, both new and old stuff and found the site RadioLovers for the old stuff. Lots of cool old shows, both American and some British. Gotta love being able to listen to Vincent Price as The Saint, or H.G. Wells' Journey to the Center of the Earth

For modern radio theater, I highly recommend ZBS. Get any of the Jack Flanders ones or the Ruby series.

Sorry I couldn't post specifically for podcasts, but iPods are for mp3's anyway, right?
#3 Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

"Podcast" ?

Didn't Mork from Ork land on Earth in a podcast ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

so, if I download a podcast, I might end up with Mork or any other residents of Ork instead?
#5 Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

"so, if I download a podcast, I might end up with Mork or any other residents of Ork instead?"

------------

I believe the appropriate response to that is .... Nanu Nanu!
#6 Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I think we've sabotaged this thread enough

Still, can we get a definition of "podcast" for those of us not perpetually in the loop on this lingo? Thanks!
#7 Old 07-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

NPR's "On The Media"

The Al Franken Show

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

I don't know what a podcast is (don't own an iPod or anything like one) but I do know mp3 downloads. I do like to listen to radio theater, both new and old stuff and found the site RadioLovers for the old stuff. Lots of cool old shows, both American and some British. Gotta love being able to listen to Vincent Price as The Saint, or H.G. Wells' Journey to the Center of the Earth

For modern radio theater, I highly recommend ZBS. Get any of the Jack Flanders ones or the Ruby series.

Sorry I couldn't post specifically for podcasts, but iPods are for mp3's anyway, right?

Thanks for those. That's the sort of thing I like to listen to at work.

Ceryna- Yeah, I listen to those. Thanks.

Podcasts are audio RSS feeds. (RSS feeds, if anyone doesn't know are an updatable list that software or webpages can load so you can read multiple blogs, news, etc all on one page) You need software to download these podcasts. Many are from shows already on the radio like the ones ceryna mentioned. Many many others are just made by people who want to do their own radio show. I guess they are like audio blogs. It was invented by Adam Curry of MTV fame. Remember him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
#9 Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

I would love to listen to Loveline, I found a "subscription" but I don't think it's updated. Technically that's probably not a podcast but still.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Thanks for those. That's the sort of thing I like to listen to at work.

You're welcome You might also look at the links given on the site weirdomusic as that's where I found the radiolovers site. And the following one (that is my current fav) is archived through the Internet Archive, I believe: Comfort Stand

Quote:
Podcasts are audio RSS feeds. (RSS feeds, if anyone doesn't know are an updatable list that software or webpages can load so you can read multiple blogs, news, etc all on one page) You need software to download these podcasts. Many are from shows already on the radio like the ones ceryna mentioned. Many many others are just made by people who want to do their own radio show. I guess they are like audio blogs. It was invented by Adam Curry of MTV fame. Remember him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

And thanks for the wiki link. I think RSS is a bit beyond me for truly understanding it, but then again, I'm still "old fashioned" and prefer radio live as it's happening, whether broadcast or internet-style. (Sure that internet radio feed might very well be pre-recorded, but it's usually just music to begin with and no dj interruptions ) And, I don't know who Adam Curry is because I only watched the first year of MTV when they started. That was their best year ever, before they went commercial and the last year I paid them any more attention. Do they air or even know of Mike Oldfield or Kraftwerk these days?

Anyway, thanks again for the info. And enjoy the links, eh?
#11 Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Kentauros is right, RadioLovers pwns the big one. I love Orson Welles & The Mercury Theatre on the Air (original broadcasters of War of the Worlds).

The best MP3 you can possibly download is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series. Everyone needs a copy... now. I believe the first 3 phases are available at mininova.org.
#12 Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Animal Voices has a podcast as well.

I started podcasting last week, but got extremely tied up at AR2005 over the weekend, so I hadn't noticed that the iTunes Music Store is finally showing my podcasts for download!

Search for "animal" under the podcasts section, and you'll see several options show up. Mine is An Animal-Friendly Life. I have one lame intro post and my first "produced" show, which is about 9 minutes long and somewhat rough, being my debut with the format. There's a couple of glitches, and some downright dumb, off-the-cuff comments that I would have liked to have had more time to redo or edit (frankly, I probably sound like an idiot, but it was good practice.). This is much easier to do with text!

Still, if you want to hear epski's real voice and get an idea of where I hope to head with my website, I hope you'll subscribe through iTunes. If you don't use or don't want to use iTunes (which is completely free for Macs and Windows machines), you can visit http://aafl.blogspot.com/ instead.

Now that I know this is being properly syndicated, I'll get to work on my next podcast! (these things are a pain in the ass to produce, upload, and syndicate, but if I get some good feedback, I will be much obliged to continue.
#13 Old 02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just started listening to podcasts, too, and so far just The Word Nerds: http://thewordnerds.org/ I'll check out the other ones mentioned.
#14 Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

I think RSS is a bit beyond me for truly understanding it

Just to explain RSS a bit more, because it's really cool, it's kind of like an email newsletter, if you will. You "subscribe" to an RSS feed (or many), and the content gets sent to you automatically whenever it's updated. Instead of using an email client (like Outlook), you use an RSS aggregator (some browsers have it integrated, or you can get a stand-alone client). It checks your "feeds" every few hours for new content, and downloads it. If it's a blog you're subscribed to, you get all the new posts. If it's a podcast (and your RSS client has the ability), it can automatically download the podcast to your computer.

RSS is great because if you have a whole bunch of news sites you like to read, you don't have to physically go to each one anymore, all the new stuff will already be on your computer and you can quickly skim through it without having to wait for it to load. Like an email client, it remembers which posts you've read, so you don't have to search through websites trying to find the new stuff, or read stuff twice because you forgot you already read it, etc.

For sites that don't get updated often, it's even better, because you always know which sites have new stuff without having to visit them.

To clarify "podcast," it's a bit of a misnomer. More correctly they'd be called "webcasts," but podcast has become too familiar. You don't need an iPod, you can listen on any mp3 player, but you don't even need that. They're usually just mp3 files, which means you can listen to them right on your computer or anything else that can play mp3s.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#15 Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

my friend does zoe radio (( www.zoeradio.com ))... Don't be put off by the fact that she's 15; she knows more about music than most 40-year-olds.

i also listen to the project runway podcast by Tim Gunn... (i'm a dork)

and, um, the vegan freak podcast sometimes.
#16 Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post

Podcast: Someone had the revolutionary idea of taking a compressed audio file and putting it online. Yeah, doesn't sound so sexy when I describe it for what it is, does it you morons? It would have been a great idea if streaming audio wasn't already around for over a decade before the word "podcast" entered the lexicon. Man, I can't stand the word "lexicon." Talking about all these ****ty words has made me start using ****ty words. I'm so pissed, I just slammed the door shut on some kid's nuts.

Stupid trendy words.
#17 Old 03-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

how about "podfading"?
#18 Old 03-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

how about "podfading"?There's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page