Mac or PC? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you use? I choose the mac for security, and ease of use reasons. Also they are very reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Macs are more reliable, but I like using PCs much more. There are still so many non-Mac-friendly websites, still, too....

My computer's a PC and my fiance's is a Mac. I'm using his right now. We're an integrated household
#3 Old 05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I much prefer my old Mac - and no matter WHAT people say, the two just AREN'T compatible in everything - but since Grandma bought the kids a PC - we're constantly at odds as to which works better for what... I'd love to be an integrated household!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM

This is a Macintosh household.
#5 Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Gee!...This doesn't seem like an advertisment :P

My house is maxed out with Macs. Seriously, it's iPods galore. I use an iBook G4, downstairs is the old Centris, the G3, and the prettiful G5. We even have an old Powerbook around here somewhere. You can't walk around the house witch out tripping over one of our million white cords.
#6 Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Linux.

I use it because its very customizeable and free and fun to play around with. And because I am a geek.
#7 Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

There are still so many non-Mac-friendly websites, still, too....

Hmmm.... I don't think I've seen one in the last year.
#8 Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Obviously you don't use Friendster.

The blogging site I use has a TON more options on PC...as does the site through which I'm building my wedding site.
#9 Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Obviously you don't use Friendster.

The blogging site I use has a TON more options on PC...as does the site through which I'm building my wedding site.

No. I do not use Friendster.

And I assume you mean that they have IE only features?
#10 Old 05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I use IE on Austin's mac, but I still can't do a lot of things on my blog when I'm using it....

Friendster doesn't have features you can't use, but the format is way ****ed up on a mac. Actually, I haven't tried it in Safari, so maybe it would work better then.
#11 Old 05-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Beginner

I'm a Linux based PC guy, no windows dual boot. Mac's are still too proprietary (I will never own an iPod for this reason) and I love to build my own computers.
#12 Old 05-27-2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicallips View Post

Gee!...This doesn't seem like an advertisment :P

My house is maxed out with Macs. Seriously, it's iPods galore. I use an iBook G4, downstairs is the old Centris, the G3, and the prettiful G5. We even have an old Powerbook around here somewhere. You can't walk around the house witch out tripping over one of our million white cords.

Heh. It was like that when I lived with my parents for a bit after college, and my sis was still there too. Two Performas, a G4, two iMacs, three or four laptops of various models, a CX (I think)...and a partridge in a pear tree. (not to mention an old Apple II)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 05-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

GNU/Linux, I don't see how anyone could want to support that evil monopoly. Besides their products are crap. I'll never use proprietary software, I like to be in control of the things that I own. Windows is horrible, & well OSX is just Unix with a fancy interfacy, but I can get much nicer interfaces for GNU/Linux.
#14 Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a bit ticked off at the fact that Apple is switching to intel processors. I personally don't like them, but I'll have to live with them now. I wanted to buy an iMac g5, and squeeze as much out of it as I did my g3; but I don't think it will last me as long now, with the switch. I'll just wait until 2006 or 2007.
#15 Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

There are still many non-Mac sites and obviously software. I deal with it, but it was a pain that I could only use a music gift card from my birthday on my work PC, then had to burn it to CD and bring it home to rip into my Mac.

I've got no problem whatsoever with the Mactel switch.
#16 Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

At the moment, I'm running Linux and Windows. If I had the funds to satisfy my hardware lust, I'd probably pick up a Mac because my EPIA 900 is starting to show its age crunching some datasets. It's hard because there is not really anything headless between the mini and the dual g5 right now.
#17 Old 06-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i mainly use a pc running linux, just because that is what is available to me.
#18 Old 06-15-2005, 07:38 PM

I've been a Mac user for years and years. Back when I started college they had just gotten a lab full of the original Mac 128's. I was hooked from the start. Before that, I had an Apple ][+, complete with a 300 baud modem and a Compu$erve account. What a geek.
#19 Old 06-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I use a PC because I like having two mouse buttons.

It's the age-old question, and it really depends on what you want your computer for.
#20 Old 06-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee View Post

You can use a two button mouse with OSX.
#21 Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee View Post

It's the age-old question, and it really depends on what you want your computer for.

I'm using a two-button mouse with an included scrolling ball.....on my Mac.
#22 Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

You can use a two button mouse with OSX.

I do.
#23 Old 06-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Please note - the two button line was a joke

I did a short course on Dreamweaver a few years a go and the college that offered it had Macs. They had the standart Apple one-button mouse and it drove me completely NUTS. I hadn't used Mac OS in a very long time. So if anyone asks me about using Macs, I always joke that I prefer PC because it has two mouse buttons.
#24 Old 06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to use a Mac at school (which, btw, has only one mouse button -- grr), but my home computer is a PC.

I want to get a laptop and I HATE Macs, but I really like the Final Cut software and I'd like to make some movies with my Creative Writing students, so I'm torn... I need to do some more research on movie-making/editing software for PCs.
#25 Old 06-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Full free GPL'd video editting software, http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 but it's probably much too advanced for use in a school enviroment & I don't think it runs on Windows or Mac OSX.
#26 Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

If you're looking at not so cheap film editing software for PC Adobe premiere is good. I've always found it pretty easy to get on with and its possible with a little thinking outside the box to do anything with it.
#27 Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I like PCs...cheaper, more compatibility, easier for me to use because I'm used to them. I took several graphic design classes in college and I also worked on the newspaper, both of which only had Macs available, so I learned to use the Mac. The Macs we had were not that great. They crashed and froze all the time. I've heard that Macs don't network very well and perhaps that's the reason I never witnessed any of this supposed higher stability.
#28 Old 06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hell, iMovie comes free with OS X and it handles HDV natively, among other formats. Very easy to use, and more powerful than ever. Granted, I'm on Final Cut Pro myself, but most people don't need that many features.

CarbLover: Macs network fine in my experience. Your college may not have had enough RAM installed in your 'puters. You said they were not that great. Your newspaper was probably using a ping pong paddle to compete at Wimbledon, so to speak.
#29 Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Beginner

I've noticed that the Macs that schools usually buy tend to be short on RAM, personally.

I think I saw recently that Steve Jobs decided to base their computers on Intel now, so maybe the Apple OS will be more compatible in the coming years. I love their OS though.
#30 Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM

i'm definitely a mac person. grew up in a die-hard mac family, using a mac plus as a kid in the 80s. i always love these kinds of discussions though... mac or pc, LA or SF... i had a professor in college who said you were either hemingway or fitzgerald...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page