Mac or PC? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx bolling View Post

i had a professor in college who said you were either hemingway or fitzgerald...

Now that is my kind of debate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM

I go with PC's for a few reasons. The main reason is that I like to play alot of games. It seems eazier, if just in my area, to go with PC. Another is the price. Because I like to build my own computer, I find it alot friendlier to go with PC's. MAC's usually do better with graphic building, but I don't do alot of that. They things I use my computer points me to the PC side.
#33 Old 06-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

but I can get much nicer interfaces for GNU/Linux.

All hail Fluxbox!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbLover View Post

I like PCs...cheaper, more compatibility, easier for me to use because I'm used to them. I took several graphic design classes in college and I also worked on the newspaper, both of which only had Macs available, so I learned to use the Mac. The Macs we had were not that great. They crashed and froze all the time. I've heard that Macs don't network very well and perhaps that's the reason I never witnessed any of this supposed higher stability.

I experienced the freezing very often when I used an old performa running OS 9. my G3 doesn't do it unless I throw something really intense at it. As to the networking problems, I never experienced that.
#35 Old 06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the PC i built because when I am not mountain biking I am playing computer games.
#36 Old 06-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Gaming nerd here...

Triple Boot: XP Pro, XP Pro 64 Bit Edition, & Fedora

Nothing beats making a custom rig for less than manufacturers can offer.

AMD 64 Newcastle 3000+ Watercooled to 2.6Ghz

DFI NF3 UT Mobo

1GB Samsung TCCD Chips, 2-2-2-5 @ 220Mhz

6800GT Overclocked to 400/1.1Ghz

2x160GB SATA Drives in RAID-0 w/ a 160GB PATA for Extra Storage

Getting a little dated, so I may end up selling it, but it's still my baby.

P.S. IE? Bleh! Firefox baby... firefox...

Edit: I'm still a MAC kid too though, I own an iPod and dabble in a bit of Final Cut Pro 4 when I'm working with my friend's DV Camera, hehe.

Edit2: Besides... you can make a PC as pretty as a Mac, yeah?

That's my PC below... yessssssssssssssssss.
#37 Old 06-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I HATE MACS! I only have one because when I started college a Mac was recommended for my major.

Reliable?

I bought a G4 Powerbook in Sept of 2003 and it is crap! Currently, it is at Apple because diagnostic tests at a local Mac shop can't figure out what's wrong with it. It's been freezing every time I use it for weeks!

Security reasons?

Please! Do you know why there aren't many viruses that Macs are susceptible? Because only about 5% of computer users use them! You have to buy special EVERYTHING to use on your Mac.

Macs: Overpriced, overrated.

I hate Mac.
#38 Old 06-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriskyCat View Post

Security reasons?

Please! Do you know why there aren't many viruses that Macs are susceptible? Because only about 5% of computer users use them!

I hate Mac.

Wrong! The reasons virus' are uncommon is because it's been damn well designed, Windows is fundementally insecure. I call PEBCAK.
#39 Old 06-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

Wrong! The reasons virus' are uncommon is because it's been damn well designed, Windows is fundementally insecure. I call PEBCAK.

Wrong! Linux and BSD are fundamentally insecure too. People are inconvenienced by viruses because of MS, people have their credit card and social security numbers compromised due to *nix. I'm not sure I see Microsoft losing the security battle, frankly.
#40 Old 06-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

"I need to do some more research on movie-making/editing software for PCs."

-----------

I tried out a bunch of trial versions of what I'd call "affordable" movie editing apps. I thought that this one was the best in this price range by far;

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=932

Sony Vegas Movie Studio

It's the only one in the price range that I found that you could set a zoom, pan , rotate for the start of a film segment and the end too and it transitioned between them (all visually or by numbers). Everything sems to be customizable (effects etc).

It's essentially a lite Vegas 6.
#41 Old 06-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Wrong! Linux and BSD are fundamentally insecure too. People are inconvenienced by viruses because of MS, people have their credit card and social security numbers compromised due to *nix. I'm not sure I see Microsoft losing the security battle, frankly.

1: Having an email network with 50,000 users grind to a halt due to a virus outbreak is quite a bit more than an inconvenience.

2: From what I can tell, quite a few more credit card and SSNs are compromised on a daily basis due to basic insecurities in Microsoft software than misconfigured Unix systems. Most of the bulk SSN thefts that I know about have been social engineering attacks taking advantage of human error.

3: Microsoft Windows made some bad design decisions in regards to security early on, and still have not fully caught up on the issue. A number of their security policies including witholding information about known vulnerabilities, delaying fixes for vulnerabilities until after they are exploited, and ending security support for legacy OS designs are irresponsible.
#42 Old 06-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

1: Having an email network with 50,000 users grind to a halt due to a virus outbreak is quite a bit more than an inconvenience.

2: From what I can tell, quite a few more credit card and SSNs are compromised on a daily basis due to basic insecurities in Microsoft software than misconfigured Unix systems. Most of the bulk SSN thefts that I know about have been social engineering attacks taking advantage of human error.

3: Microsoft Windows made some bad design decisions in regards to security early on, and still have not fully caught up on the issue. A number of their security policies including witholding information about known vulnerabilities, delaying fixes for vulnerabilities until after they are exploited, and ending security support for legacy OS designs are irresponsible.

Now that the nits are picked, are you prepared to claim that *nix is an order of magnitude more secure than windows or better or do you essentially agree with me that they are comparably secure and that the common sense of the administration dwarfs the actual operating system choice in terms of making a box secure?
#43 Old 06-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

Now that the nits are picked, are you prepared to claim that *nix is an order of magnitude more secure than windows or better or do you essentially agree with me that they are comparably secure and that the common sense of the administration dwarfs the actual operating system choice in terms of making a box secure?

Well, I'm not certain how you evaluate "orders of magnitude." I will say that UNIX administrators have more tools at their disposal to prevent, isolate, detect and repair intrusions than currently exist under Windows, I will also argue that the production processes behind some UNIX distributions, in particular, OpenBSD, is considerably more likely to prevent the kinds of buffer overrun vulnerabilities that are central to quite a bit of malware. In addition, the open review processes of these systems make it more likely that a buffer overrun will be discovered as part of code review, and fixes available as soon as it is announced.

Certainly, common sense has a lot to do with it. On the other hand, I do think you need to take basic operating system design, the tools you have available to lock down your system, and the basic ecology at work out there into account.

What you call "picking nits" I call some things that I think are pretty darn critical to think about before I start hanging open ports out to the world with a "kick-me" sign.
#44 Old 06-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Banned

OTOH, better documentation and training exists for windows since it isn't as much of a moving target, so to speak. Microsoft also sponsers education and exams leading to certification in administration of its operating system that is more comprehensive than what is available for *nix administration.
#45 Old 06-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Banned

Quote:

OTOH, better documentation and training exists for windows since it isn't as much of a moving target, so to speak.

I'm not so certain I agree with that. One of the nice things about UNIX is that the basic standards have not really changed in 20 years. Many of the basic ideas such as read-only filesystems, secure authentication, packet filtering, user and group permissions, and chroot have been standard on UNIX since before Windows was Windows. Even the newer protocols such as SSH and IPv6/IPSEC have 10 years of history behind them. In fact, I would argue that Microsoft is more of a moving target than UNIX, with substantial differences between 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP. (A "required" Media Player update just changed the context menu on me again.)

In addition, Microsoft has always tended to treat its file formats and protocols as trade secrets. This can make it difficult to figure out exactly why a given interaction is choking.

If the included documentation is not sufficient, a glance at my local bookstores reveals that there are just as many good titles on UNIX administration as Windows administration.

Quote:

Microsoft also sponsers education and exams leading to certification in administration of its operating system that is more comprehensive than what is available for *nix administration.

Well, part of that is due to market forces. Sun, IBM, and Red Hat offer certification programs for their products BTW, and I got better UNIX training than Windows training. If you want comprehensive UNIX training (although now it is rapidly converging on just Linux) there is no shortage of ways to get it.
#46 Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I HATE MACS! I only have one because when I started college a Mac was recommended for my major.

Reliable?

I bought a G4 Powerbook in Sept of 2003 and it is crap! Currently, it is at Apple because diagnostic tests at a local Mac shop can't figure out what's wrong with it. It's been freezing every time I use it for weeks!

I'm sure it's got something to do with your specific PowerBook. I've only had a problem with a mac when I used a Performa that was several years old with it's original ram running current system software (It was current then). Other than that I've never experienced anything bad on my other macs that I haven't noticed to be wrong that wasn't worse on my dad's PC. [/QUOTE]

Quote:

Security reasons?

Please! Do you know why there aren't many viruses that Macs are susceptible? Because only about 5% of computer users use them! You have to buy special EVERYTHING to use on your Mac.

I hate Mac.

I partly have to agree with you on the thing about viruses, but I'm sure that if Apple had the market share that microsoft has, it still wouldn't be as bad on a mac as it is today on a pc.

as to the "special everything" there are many things that work for both platforms at the same time. so it wouldn't be "everything" it would be about half the things availible at the most.
#47 Old 06-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha.
#48 Old 06-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

PC. If you are smart about it, you will have no problem defending against spyware and viruses. I've never liked using Macs.
#49 Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancNSpin View Post

PC. If you are smart about it, you will have no problem defending against spyware and viruses. I've never liked using Macs.

Too bad that if you use Windows XP you get spied on anyway, oh but Microsoft are good aren't they, no problem with them getting data about your machine.

PC is so vague though, what operating system? I'm guessing you're talking about Windows because you mention spyware & virus'.
#50 Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Friendster doesn't have features you can't use, but the format is way ****ed up on a mac. Actually, I haven't tried it in Safari, so maybe it would work better then.

Sounds like a very badly-coded site that would break on other platforms too, including *ix's
#51 Old 07-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_art View Post

"I need to do some more research on movie-making/editing software for PCs."

-----------

I tried out a bunch of trial versions of what I'd call "affordable" movie editing apps. I thought that this one was the best in this price range by far;

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=932

Sony Vegas Movie Studio

It's the only one in the price range that I found that you could set a zoom, pan , rotate for the start of a film segment and the end too and it transitioned between them (all visually or by numbers). Everything sems to be customizable (effects etc).

It's essentially a lite Vegas 6.

Did you look at VirtualDub? It and heaps of plugins are freeware.
#52 Old 07-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Security reasons?

I've recently seen a 16% figure, FWIW.

Quote:

Perhaps, but OSX gives me a tolerable *ix machine that I don't have spend hours on end messing with. As Apple transitions to x86 processors, the bang/buck ratio should increase. If/when the Linuxes stop their ludicrous balkanization and grow up a bit, they might be an option, but for now they fail in terms of stability and stagnation.

As for being 'proprietary'. I use a lot of freeware, for my job and for personal stuff, but in the end I just want to get things done. iTunes works great out of the box. It syncs to my iPod effortlessly, and will be around for years.
#53 Old 07-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

anthony11: Well actually, Apple does provide good bang/buck. But I don't know if Apple is going to really bother trying to compete with the Wallmart $300 boxes.
#54 Old 07-02-2005, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=kirkjobsluder]anthony11: Well actually, Apple does provide good bang/buck. /QUOTE]

Their increases in speed in the last several years have been nothing like those of x86 boxes. With the G5, maybe that's IBM's fault, but the G4's in the laptops are behind the times, too.
#55 Old 07-02-2005, 06:00 AM

Mac surpasses PC with flying colours.
#56 Old 07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

There's more to computing than processor speed...
#57 Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm still going to hate Macs for ever and ever.
#58 Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm still going to hate Macs for ever and ever.

Knock yourself out. I'm sorry that a Mac did something so evil to you when you were a child that you have to hate them for ever and ever.
#59 Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

MAC all the way, no comparison.
#60 Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
cyk
Veggie Regular

I like PC's better because I'm more used to them.

Here is my experience with macs (I still like them, they look cool!)

ipod - Would get stuck until battery drained

ibook - battery died

My sister's Powerbook - Won't start

But to be fair I did see a pc computer blow up... The one I traded my cousin for the ibook. That was kinda funny with sparks and everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page