Need help for a video game - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackBoxed
  • 2 Post By nr32
  • 1 Post By Thekiltedcook

#1 Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Need help for a video game

Well, i apologize if this isnt the right place to do this, and even more so if its inapropriate alltogether. Im WAY into the game Stardew Valley, and im going to start streaming it on twitch. However i love self imposed challenges, and i came up with one. Play it as a hardcore vegan. The thing is, im not vegan. Not even vegetarian. So i need help figuring out what i can or cannot do. Obviously i know i cant have cows or chickens and sell the products, no bee hives for honey, and no fishing. There are mines with monsters you would have to kill, so im skipping that too. However its the smaller things i need help with.
1. What about having pigs that produce truffles?
2. In the spring they have an easter equivilent egg hunt, do i sit it out?
3. If there are sea shells or coral on the beach, can i take them since any life involved is gone?
4. There are treasures burried all over, marked by "worms" wiggling on the surface where you should dig, do i have to leave them alone too?
5. Since im not allowed to refuse gifts, if one isnt vegan what do i do with it?

I might have more as things come up but these are the main ones before i start. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

I don't get it, are you simply trying out a new gameplay?
You're not going to learn anything very realistic about veganism from a video game.
I could understand someone already vegan doing this, but your scenario makes no sense to me. Why?
#3 Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Veganism is about not exploiting animals. You should try it, or go vegetarian in real life.
Get back to us when you're interested in really learning, and not just playing a game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 PM

Its just meant as a challenging way to play the game. While i have no desire to become vegan or vegetarian myself, i want to do it justice and play correctly. On top of that, im asking to learn right now, so.......?
#5 Old 06-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

We're happy to talk about being vegan, but this is a forum for those who are vegetarian/vegan or have a sincere desire to be.
I'm just afraid playing a vegan on a game that's not equipped to accommodate true outcomes kinda unfairly skews the results
Vegans avoid things that are obtained from animals, as much as possible and practical. We believe all animals should have the right to live their lives with as little human interference as possible. Of course we understand the limitations.

Vegans avoid products that use animal testing, animal obtained ingredients (animals include insects and slaughterhouse by products)
Circuses, zoos, animals bred as pets. Anything that involves the use of animals or slaughterhouse wastes

Vegetarian is a much looser definition and can include dairy and egg products, and references diet. Individuals choose their own path
#6 Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know anything about this. I would think maybe the pigs are companions? I personally am ok with that, but never on a large scale, which is where most exploitation lies

Yes. Hens really lead horrible lives, as well as the male chicks that suffer cruel deaths. It's quite different than thinking of picking up a random egg- egg laying hens are bred with very cruel mutations and horrible environments that only serves the businesses greed

3. If there are sea shells or coral on the beach, can i take them since any life involved is gone?
Again, on a small scale theres no harm, however it's been found quite tragic on a larger scale. There are many ocean inhabitants that rely on these leftover shells. Shells are used used in industries where they're bulldozed causing quite an environmental disasters

4. There are treasures burried all over, marked by "worms" wiggling on the surface where you should dig, do i have to leave them alone too?
See that's just a game thing.Worms don't mark treasure. Vegans simply leave others alone.

5. Since im not allowed to refuse gifts, if one isnt vegan what do i do with it?
Again, it's just a game thing and has nothing to do with being vegan. I guess give it to someone needy,or put it back into the environment
#7 Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekiltedcook View Post
Well, i apologize if this isnt the right place to do this, and even more so if its inapropriate alltogether. Im WAY into the game Stardew Valley, and im going to start streaming it on twitch. However i love self imposed challenges, and i came up with one. Play it as a hardcore vegan. The thing is, im not vegan. Not even vegetarian. So i need help figuring out what i can or cannot do. Obviously i know i cant have cows or chickens and sell the products, no bee hives for honey, and no fishing. There are mines with monsters you would have to kill, so im skipping that too. However its the smaller things i need help with.

I might have more as things come up but these are the main ones before i start. Thank you!
1. Not practical. Pigs eat a lot and only find a few truffles.
2.If the eggs are bird eggs, sit it out. Plastic ones filled with treats are ok.
3.Yes you can take them.
4.Can you dig without hurting the worm? If so, then ok.
5. Re-gift non-vegan stuff.

Try Meatless Mondays IRL! Might surprise yourself...
#8 Old 06-10-2016, 03:08 AM

Firstly, I love the idea! I like that you're exploring the idea and introducing it to others. Even if you don't intend on going vegan, knowing about it is a good thing imo.

It will be a bit tricky to play the game entirely as a vegan because the limited scope of the games design doesn't really accommodate alternatives, but the restrictions you've imposed so far seem about right. As for your list, LedBoots has covered that nicely.

Basic rule of thumb is: put someone you love in place of the creature you're interacting with and then make a decision based on that. Bit tricky for things like eggs and wool, though.

FYI: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...atives-for-all
#9 Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 AM
Bean Queen

Quote:

lol... the convert alert

I think it's always pretty fun to try and play vegan in games that might even possibly allow for the option. I love for my sims to be vegetarian. I think most of the answers are pretty straight forward since the only question to really ask is "would this hurt an animal in some way?" if the answer is yes then it's not vegan. Treat your animals well if you need them as companions, only fight if your life is actually in danger, the shells and worms are fine.

I've lately been of the opinion that if you do happen upon something non-vegan, it should still be put to use. Otherwise you're just wasteful. Others might disagree, so at this point it's personal preference. I would say gifted items that may possibly be non-vegan might be okay if it's something you will actually get use out of, and assuming that they didn't specifically buy it for you or that you didn't buy it yourself from the shops as this implies that you're creating a demand.

Good luck!
LedBoots likes this.
#10 Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 AM

I love Stardew Valley. Veganism, even in a game, isn't a complicated concept. If you have to kill a conscious creature to obtain a resource, you can't use it. Simple.

Why? While in a game it doesn't make sense, in real life:
1) It's ethical.
2) It's healthier.
3) It's environmentally friendly.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#11 Old 06-10-2016, 08:11 PM

Ok, thank you all for the input and help. If anyone is interested i stream on twitch under the name VikingSnakeman, thats where im doing the vegan challenge. From here is seems chickens and cows are no go's (eggs and milk), but sheep and pigs seem to be a grey area, so im going to skip animals all together, and maybe later on have just one "pet" pig, and treat him well, if that is acceptable. Again, thank you for the help.and support
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Here's a challenge for you,@thekiltedcook

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page