3Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Dwarf Planet news (Pluto, Ceres, etc)

I thought some people might be interested in discussing these. Here are two links about Pluto and Ceres, both of which are in the news lately:

http://time.com/3954477/nasa-pluto-new-horizons-planet/

http://aviationweek.com/blog/dawn-pr...entation-issue

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Vegan since 1991

Wow, the Dawn space probe has ion engines http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/ion_prop.asp . Just like TIE fighters (TIE = Twin Ion Engines), though not nearly as strong.

According to the NASA webpage, Dawn's ion engines delivery a thrust of only 90mN (about 0.02 pounds). The ion engines' weak thrust is still very effective for making trajectory adjustments, and it is powered by electricity from Dawn's solar panels. I feel this is nerd-tastic.

NASA photo of ion engine (not sci-fi, but real stuff!):

Humanity is amazing sometimes (but not usually). Not sure how exploring Pluto is going to help solve our fundamental socioeconomic problems.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.
#3 Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Pretty soon, New Horizons will be starting its pre-programmed flurry of activity during its close approach to Pluto. I initially thought it would be going into radio silence for this because its onboard computer would be so busy, but evidently, it's because it needs to orient itself towards Pluto and Charon during the flyby, and won't be oriented for transmission to Earth. It will send messages/images to Earth on Wednesday, but considering it went into partial shutdown ("safe" mode) about a week ago, this will be a nervous time at NASA. But if I remember right, it will take New Horizons WEEKS to transmit all the info it will be collecting over the next 24 hours.

It's amazing how much more detailed the latest images are compared to even two weeks ago.
LedBoots likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33524589

#5 Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Riot Nrrrd

A while ago they let people vote on names for the physical features we'll be seeing in closeups. I voted for a bunch, but I'm pulling for Z'ha'dum (the planet of the Shadows in Babylon 5) and セーラープルート (Sailor Pluto from Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon) make the cut.

Now that I think about it, BOB would have been appropriate. Too late now. Mount BOB. Sea of BOB. That'd be cool. Or just call something the Black Lodge. Dang, NOW I think of it.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Z'ha'dum would have been cool. Wasn't BOB the name of the planet that the Titan ship made at the end of "Titan A.E."?

A lot of the names that have been entered for newly-discovered features on Pluto seem to be from mythology or horror (Cthulhu was suggested as a name for that whale-shaped pattern, for example.)

#7 Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Riot Nrrrd

They had a number of categories of name origins they wanted people to consider. I remember mythology, "the underworld", explorers, and fiction. I forget what that last one actually was called, but included the media type references.

Here's a bit on the names NASA has been using informally, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

And here's another update from the Ceres mission:

http://news.yahoo.com/dawn-probe-bac...223658980.html

I have to admit Pluto had most of my attention lately, but there's something fascinating about the asteroid belt, and particularly about Ceres.

#9 Old 09-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Water, water everywhere!...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/15/93...bsurface-ocean

Okay, this isn't about dwarf planets, although Ceres is suspected of having water. Tis link is about the growing evidence for water beneath the surfaces of several of Jupiter and Saturn's moons.

#10 Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

And now, back to PLuto news...

This link is to a video simulation of a flight over Pluto, created from a number of still images (taken by New Horizons during its flyby), and put together by one of the mission scientists, I think:

http://www.space.com/30593-new-pluto...ges-video.html

You have to sit through a commercial for a minute, but the video is well done and ponts out some of the newly discovered and named features of this dwarf planet. Pluto is turning out to be a very interesting place- and come to think of it, so is everyplace else our probes have been visiting lately: Mars, Mercury, Ceres, the moons of the outer planets...

Last edited by Tom; 09-23-2015 at 03:27 PM.
#11 Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This link is to a video simulation of a flight over Pluto, created from a number of still images (taken by New Horizons during its flyby), and put together by one of the mission scientists, I think:

http://www.space.com/30593-new-pluto...ges-video.html

You have to sit through a commercial for a minute, but the video is well done and ponts out some of the newly discovered and named features of this dwarf planet. Pluto is turning out to be a very interesting place- and come to think of it, so is everyplace else our probes have been visiting lately: Mars, Mercury, Ceres, the moons of the outer planets...
Wow, that's very cool! I have always loved distant Pluto.
Tom likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page