Mac or PC?? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWvolution!!! View Post

i just wanted know if u have a mac or pc...and wat type?

Hmmn. I'm "bi." I have both PCs and an iMac.

I might have to edit back in all the technical details, which I will have to look up. I'm basically a PC user. I have a Dell Dimension 8100 Desktop 1.3GHz Pentium 4, running WinME, with a 17" monitor. It's about 3 years old now, but I still like it. I also have two Pentium 1s, a 486, and a Dell Inspirion P2 laptop running Win98 on loan. I learned computers on a PC.

I have an iMac Power PC G3, 333 MHz, OS 9.2. I picked it up used and through odd circumstances, so don't really know that much about it (I never met or talked with the prior "owner.") I am partly color-blind, but think it is an "orange." I just haven't had the time to use it that much. I need to work with people who are Mac users, so that is my main interest in using the iMac.

Most of the Mac-using people I have met are very nice people.

ETA: I think it's a "tangerine," revision D.

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/...model=imacrevd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-27-2004, 03:35 PM

Once my PC can run Half-Life 2 with full detail and 8xAA/16xAF at 60+fps then I would consider getting a Mac if I had spare money laying around I like messing around with every kind of computer/OS, so it'd be cool to have one.
#33 Old 07-27-2004, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I think people who can remember seeing the original movie in theatres (or in my case at the drive-in) should get extra points for recognizing the reference.

<<< also saw the flick at a drive in (at a theatre that actually still exists). Double bill - Tron/Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 PM

lol...in my haste to put up this thread...i forgot linux and unix and the various other operating systems that run out there...

forgive me for being an idiot bout that...

and for all u who r buying cps...i would recommend a mac for anyone....they r built so much better..and easier to use, and they look better. lol, thts case closed for me

RAWvolution!!!
#35 Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm currently using a PC running Libranet Debian. I'm happy enough with it at the present, but I'm going to be be buying a Mac in two or three months. There are things I love about Gnu/Linux and things that really frustrate me. I'm totally enamored with OS X though, so I think I'll be happy to be getting back to a Mac.
#36 Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Banned

The original post was worded as though we were discussing hardware but this has turned into an OS discussion, I use GNU/Linux in that case.
#37 Old 07-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a Commodore SX-64, the world's first portable color computer:

My baby - http://www.howdymedia.com/c64

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#38 Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate them both, I use both daily for about 6 hours a piece.

Macs have a horrible candy shop GUI, PC are full of security holes and hole-filled patches. I only with Amiga's defeated the world of computers...

Oh, I have a nice tribute to Aimga here: http://aimga.howdyspace.com

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#39 Old 07-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDever View Post

Once my PC can run Half-Life 2 with full detail and 8xAA/16xAF at 60+fps then I would consider getting a Mac if I had spare money laying around I like messing around with every kind of computer/OS, so it'd be cool to have one.

No hardware that is available now is going to let you do that. Well, not if Half-Life 2 is as resource intensive as Doom 3.
#40 Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 PM

That's why I won't be getting a Mac anytime soon Although one of these might do the trick for HL2. http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm
#41 Old 07-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

No hardware that is available now is going to let you do that. Well, not if Half-Life 2 is as resource intensive as Doom 3.

Tell me more about Doom 3, please. When did this come out? I thought Doom fizzled out with Doom 2 in the mid-'90s. What kind of resources are needed to run it?
#42 Old 07-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Is there any good freeware for the Mac? In particular, freeware that will run on OS 9.2? URLs, please.
#43 Old 07-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Are you looking for any particular type of software, Joe? ZDnet and Jumbo.com are good places to start hunting for something new and free.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#44 Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM

Doom III will be out in like a week or so. I played the Beta version of it, and I was really impressed. It's really freaky/scary. The graphics are excellent, and it'll take it a hell of a lot of power to run it as good as it gets, but I'm sure you can tune the graphics to fit your specs.

Here are the official specs:

Minimum:

P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent).

384MB of RAM.

64MB graphics card (see below for chip details).

2GB of free hard drive space.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3).

Supported cards:

GF 4 MX.

GF 3.

GF 4.

GF FX (and higher).

Radeon 8500s, 9000s and higher.

PC Gamer were the first to review they themselves recommend:

2Ghz CPU.

512MB RAM.

Radeon 9800.

5-channel sound card and speakers.
#45 Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 PM

MAC's are okay, but I prefer PC

I have a PC.
#46 Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an AMD self-built box at home running Fedora Core Linux. At work, some craptastic Gateway w/ Fedora Core also. My goal is to have an iBook or PowerBook of my own, or a G5 at my desk at work, within a year. I fell in love with OS 10.3 / Panther, as it appeals to my Unixy side, and my sense of aesthetics.

ETA: Windows XP is too vanilla for me, though I'm going to be running it again when I upgrade systems (due to games..HL2, Doom3, FarCry, etc.). Gnome and KDE (the Linux environments) are too utilitarian / crap-in-a-can non-polished for me, but OSX is a perfect blend of the nuts-and-bolts of Linux and the "hired a design firm" polish that I appreciate.
#47 Old 08-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Beginner

I use a PC (pentium III 733), but I prefer Macs, to be honest. The problem is that they are quite expensive, though, and programs are sometimes hard to come by.
#48 Old 08-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

a PC w/Windows XP. I like Windows 98 better but can't seem to get it back
#49 Old 08-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

My new iBook only costs $1099, unless you're a student. That brings the price down to $999. Great deal, great computer. I'm loving it.

'Course, I use a Dell at work. I do miss the easy keyboard action in Windows, but that's about all I miss. I love my Macs.
#50 Old 08-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I think people who can remember seeing the original movie in theatres (or in my case at the drive-in) should get extra points for recognizing the reference.

Yea! I saw it 2x in the theatre, and I laughed when I saw your "End of Line" statement.

I run a Pentium 4 laptop with XP right now. I have decided that this will be my last Windows system- I've just had too many problems.

The next thing I buy will be a Mac.
#51 Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, Mac!
#52 Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I use my computer for games, and I'm sorry, there's no such thing as a mac gamer.
#53 Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

I use my computer for games, and I'm sorry, there's no such thing as a mac gamer.

Haha, that's not true at all. Some of the best games I know are Mac-games.
#54 Old 08-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, there ARE some good games on the Mac, but no one buys a $2.5-3K machine for the handful of games. Neverwinter Nights, Quake3, soon Doom3, etc., are all good games, but when I buy my Mac, it will be because of the non-game user experience. Browsing web, programming, multimedia, and usability are all far superior on OS 10.3 in my opinion.

Have I ever owned a Mac? Nope. So you know my reasoning is objective.

ETA: You have to appreciate a window manager and environment that is so cool and futuristic looking that it belongs in a B sci-fi movie, yet is powerful, flexible, and usable.
#55 Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauskubus View Post

Haha, that's not true at all. Some of the best games I know are Mac-games.

You mean to say "Some of the best games have been PORTED over to the Mac".

Macs purposely dont give the users/programmers the manipulation of its software that PC/Windows machines do. For that reason Macs have less crashes and problems, but much less options when it comes to software.
#56 Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

You mean to say "Some of the best games have been PORTED over to the Mac".

Macs purposely dont give the users/programmers the manipulation of its software that PC/Windows machines do. For that reason Macs have less crashes and problems, but much less options when it comes to software.

Minor newflash: Mac OSX is based on a modified version of BSD (A flavor of Unix). Thus, it is about 10000x more customizable than Windows ever will be. Trust me, I have run Apache, crontab, mysqld, CVS, PHP, Python, gcc, and many other programs on OSX at work than would ever be possible on a Windows machine.

Two or three years ago, yes, OS 9 would be a dumbed-down operating system. But it's a whole new playing field now.

Schmeebis

Your trusty local unix programmer analyst geek
#57 Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schmeebis View Post

Minor newflash: Mac OSX is based on a modified version of BSD (A flavor of Unix). Thus, it is about 10000x more customizable than Windows ever will be. Trust me, I have run Apache, crontab, mysqld, CVS, PHP, Python, gcc, and many other programs on OSX at work than would ever be possible on a Windows machine.

Two or three years ago, yes, OS 9 would be a dumbed-down operating system. But it's a whole new playing field now.

Schmeebis

Your trusty local unix programmer analyst geek

I stopped paying attention to Macs when the big thing was the Imac, so I still have that image in my head since Apple was like that most of its life.

Switching to a Unix base is an interesting turn, but still the regular user isnt going to hit the command line and start mucking about in the OS.

Also I'm sure Apple isnt going to let thrid party programs start rearranging as well (thats what I meant about programmers). In the Windows environment anything goes. Program A has access to whatever it wants regardless of other prgrams that may running or installed or even the OS (just look at the spyware/adware nightmares that keep popping up).

Thats sort of the difference I meant.
#58 Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Well it's true that it's Unix, but as you probably would see from following Unix over the last 10 or so year, various flavors of Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) have graphical user interfaces. For instance, I'm now posting from a Linux machine using the Gnome environment, posting from the Firefox browser. I also run Windows XP in a little Window through a tool called VMWare, but that's another story.

So no, the average OSX user rarely would open a command shell and "muck around," but a Windows XP user would rarely do the same. Only "advanced" users do this sort of thing.

That being said, OSX has one of the most professionally-delivered and beautiful interfaces I've seen in the scores of OSes I've seen over the years. It is not only simple to use, but it is powerful. The graphical enhancements and effects are quite amazing. It's hard to not be impressed by fully scalable PDF icons and terrific font smoothing.

As for your being sure that Apple isn't going to let third-party programs do X, Y, and Z, I'm happy to report that you are wrong there. We programmers can do anything we like to the OSX interface. A good buddy of mine has replaced the Dock with a folder-based application launcher, for instance. There's nothing really stopping you, from a system architecture standpoint, of rearranging or customizing just about anything on OSX, trust me.

It's ironic that you think Windows XP is more customizable than OSX. In OSX, you can customize anything except for the window manager. In Windows, that's the only thing you can customize!

I could go on for days about my first-hand experience programming on, supporting, and playing with Mac OSX, but I don't really see the point in trying to explain a richly complex OS. It's better that you just try it out some time.
#59 Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Beginner

I likada PC's. Macs really annoy me. All thier bubbly let me help you interfaces hurt my squishy brain. But seriously, I think PC's are more best because you can customize/update/upgrade/do-more-things with them. Kay!? *tilts head to side in erratic manner*

...then again, we had a bunch of iMacs linked to the net over my entire high school so they sucked really bad and gave be a bad impression of them...
#60 Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think basing your impression of modern Macs on old ones running OS9 is like basing your opinion of PCs on computers running DOS.

The new OS X is incredibly customizable and much less crap is done to your system that can never be cleaned up. The only way to truly clean up a PC after multiple installs and uninstalls is to simply start all over again with a fresh Windows install. It's a mess. OS X is elegant, user friendly and programmer friendly, IMHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page