Are we alone in the universe? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

#1 Old 02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Vegan as f**k

Are we alone in the universe?

Hi all,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on whether or not we are alone in the universe?

I personally think that we are not!

Also, if there were other intelligent life forms on other planets, how do you think they would view the ways in which humans treat non-human animals?

I would like to think that if sophisticated/ advanced extraterrestrial life forms existed, then they would see things very differently from the average human and be more inclined to treat all living things with respect. I think this because I hang onto the hope that as societies/ civilisations advance, speciesism is more likely to diminish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 AM
Oryzatarian

I think its almost inconceivably improbable that earth is alone. We have no clue how big the universe is, despite what theoretical physicists say, we only know what we can see from earth. What we can see is another 10000000000000000000000000 stars (give or take a zero). Thats a heck of a lot of chances for life just in our miniscule corner of the big everything.
I dont assume that technologically superior races will be more moral. Some might, but just take a look at the history of man to see what more 'advanced' cultures often do.
I do know one thing for sure tho... eating space aliens isnt vegan
#3 Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Impeach the gangster

I think it highly unlikely we're alone in all creation.
Rhei likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Hey you started it, well done!

I think if we are not alone then why have we not discovered otherwise so far? So since there is no life on any if the planets in our solar system then you think there is outside of it? I think if there is other life they would not need physical nourishment to survive I'd like to think they would not need to kill to live, perhaps they also wouldn't reproduce so uncontrollably as humans, that may regulate their population. So basically I'd hope that everything we are doing wrong they'd do differently...

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#5 Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Him aside,

I would love to think there is and I would love to be alive when/if evidence is found.
otomik and no whey jose like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
I think if we are not alone then why have we not discovered otherwise so far? So since there is no life on any if the planets in our solar system then you think there is outside of it? I think if there is other life they would not need physical nourishment to survive I'd like to think they would not need to kill to live, perhaps they also wouldn't reproduce so uncontrollably as humans, that may regulate their population. So basically I'd hope that everything we are doing wrong they'd do differently...
I think the answer to that is the Goldilocks Theory LINK which says that the Earth is the only planet in this solar system where conditions are just right for life to flourish. I don't doubt that there is flourishing life in other solar systems.

Suppose the nearest intelligent life is 1,000 light years away, then they'd have to wait another 900 years to pick up our first radio transmissions. Personally I think that we'll probably be extinct before any communication is made.

Last edited by leedsveg; 02-23-2015 at 02:49 PM.
#7 Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Haha that's the spirit leedsveg! Let's hope that if there is another life out there our great great great grand children will still be around to witness it...and let's hope it will be a positive experience for them

#8 Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Lovable misanthrope

The goldilocks theory confirms the mozismyshepherd theory

#9 Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Oryzatarian

Yup, the theory goes something like: at least 10% of stars have planets, roughly 10% may have a planet in the goldilocks zone, roughly 10% of those would have a planet there which is in an age range appropriate for life, and perhaps 10% of those happen to have evolved life, and perhaps 1% of those have intelligent life (the last two numbers are speculative, the previous ones are based on science)
By those numbers our own galaxy would have 40,000,000 planets with life and 400,000 alien civilizations. Of the stars we can see from earth, 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 would have intelligent life. Even if that math overestimates the occurrence of intelligent life by a factor of 100,000 we still shouldnt turn our planets stereo up too loud, we apparently have at least 3 neighbors

I'm not personally convinced that earth is the only planet with life in the Sol system. We've barely even tested he moon, much less other planets.

Quote:
I think if there is other life... I'd like to think they would not need to kill to live
This is biologically plausible. Photolithotrophs, organisms that eat only rocks and sunlight, are the foundation of all life on earth. With the inherent biochemical inefficiency of 'higher' life forms, the photolithotrophs stand as the replenishing source of biological materials that keeps all other life from eventually starving. Something to be grateful for next time you see a blob of goo on a rock.
River and no whey jose like this.
#10 Old 02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Has anyone seen K-Pax?

You don't think if there was intelligent life in our solar system we'd know by now? Even if our technology isn't advanced enough to reach them theirs would be?

#11 Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Oryzatarian

Thats a good movie, particularly for people who dont need sex and explosions. I like how much it leaves open to interpretation.
And I love the banana.

There could be life on other planets in the solar system without it being intelligent. But even if intelligent, theres many ways in which we wouldnt know about them. Intelligent cave dwelling sand mites on mars. Intelligent cohesive gas clouds on venus. People not up to radio technology yet. People way beyond radio technology. A civilization that just thinks we're too filthy and annoying to bother with... I have a neighbor that I wouldnt let know about me except he sees me in my garden...
#12 Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Lovable misanthrope

That would be so sad if the way we are has completely put aliens off contacting us

#13 Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I agree with the posts above: I'm pretty sure that there is intelligent life on other planets, given the size of the universe and that we know other stars have planets around them. I'm not so sure we've been visited, though. Even if there is a way to travel faster than light, we now know that the space between stars is not empty: brown dwarfs, almost certainly things like comets, meteoroids, and small asteroids which have left their original orbits and now are drifting in interstellar space...

Maybe there is a way to travel via another dimension and get around this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

This thread got me thinking of the best television series ever--The Twilight Zone, (and Night Gallery) by one of my favorite vegetarians-Rod Sterling. From two great ones:
To Serve Man-
Start with what is perhaps the most famous TZ tale about aliens: “To Serve Man” (adapted from a short story by Damon Knight). The Kanamits just want to share the benefit of their knowledge with us suspicious humans, right? Wrong. We’re the main dish on the Kanamit menu. They’re fattening us up for the dinner table.

Or take “People Are Alike All Over.” The astronaut played by Roddy McDowall is appropriately skeptical at first, but the natives seem so accommodating that he relaxes. Too late, he realizes he’s become the main exhibit in their inter-planetary zoo.

https://thenightgallery.wordpress.com/tag/to-serve-man/
Tom and LedBoots like this.
#15 Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Impeach the gangster

A. C. Clarke speculated about life-forms living in the thick clouds of a gas-giant planet like Jupiter. We don't know too much about what's under that cloud cover.

Does life necessarily have to be arranged around carbon, as is the "life as we know it?"
Tom and River like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#16 Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Interesting thread!

I am convinced we aren't alone, the universe is just too big! We haven't explored even a fraction of it yet, so I think it is extremely likely that there aren't other life forms (humans or non-humans) out there.

The universe is just too large for any of us to really comprehend, so it hurts my brain to think hard about what could be out there. Whether we meet these other life forms or not, their lifestyles will be completely different. The thought of their being a vast amount of completely unknown information (different history, culture, religion, infrastructure, species, diet and politics etc) interests me so much.
LedBoots likes this.
#17 Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 PM
No flesh since 99'

I feel it is a extremely low probability that we are 'alone'. The visible universe is almost beyond comprehension with the number of galaxies, stars,solar systems, planets, moons, even asteroids where life may have taken root. We are also quite arrogant to believe life can only exist within the confines of how we here on earth have evolved (carbon based). We also know there is more than the visible universe out there, and even are now beginning to understand our universe may be part of an infinite multiverse. Will we ever be able to contact other lifeforms? Will we even be able to perceive all the different forms life may have taken? I don't know, but I do strongly feel we are not the only life out there.
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#18 Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Him aside,

I would love to think there is and I would love to be alive when/if evidence is found.
This guy's a nut lol. The more episodes in this series, the nuttier he became. PERHAPS HE'S AN ALIEN!
River and Purp like this.
#19 Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Oryzatarian

My recurring nightmare is that the universe is more hideously newtonian than any scifi fan or theoretical physics nut would dare imagine, no warp drive, no hyperspace travel, no worm holes, no TARDIS.
But physics does tend to get strange in the very small scale, the smaller you go the less newtonian it seems. Perhaps our contact with aliens will be 'by phone' lol (subspace communication for the trekkies). That in itself could make for interesting contacts. I trade food and medicine seeds over the net with people in places I'll never go. Perhaps our first encounter with alien life will come from sharing genome data on a interstellar BBS and then cloning alien orchids and babies in test tubes from the raw biochemical data.
I wonder what chilli peppers aliens would like in trade.
Tom and Purp like this.
#20 Old 03-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Alone equals all one. (Al-One) Any of you guys ever feel alone? Like a loner?
Purp and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
#21 Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksupervegan View Post
Earth is the loneliest planet of all
Purp likes this.

#22 Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM

Alone because of our lifestyle? Since it isn't mainstream.
Purp likes this.
#23 Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksupervegan View Post
Been reading the Dr. Bronner bottles?

I am most definitely a loner and feel a need for a race that isn't so needy.
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#24 Old 03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
That would be so sad if the way we are has completely put aliens off contacting us
Have you SEEN what most humans do to other beings?! (yeah I know, I was just expressing). If you were a compassionate and advanced alien race, would you even WANT to meet this species? We are all veg*n here for precisely the same reason that you commented about. And yes, it is sad, but as a species, we are hands down the most barbaric and disgusting examples of sentient and "intelligent" life. (not saying you disagree with that considering what everyone here knows about what we do as a species)

Anyone care to post the famous "I don't wanna live on this planet anymore" pic.
Purp likes this.
#25 Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think we are alone, but I'm pretty sure if aliens were going to contact us, you'd be able to hear them laughing at us.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#26 Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that, the universe being as big as it is, it is highly improbable that there is no life elsewhere in the universe. What form(s) that life takes is anyone's guess.
Purp likes this.
#27 Old 08-11-2015, 04:14 AM

The universe is infinite because its always expanding so I say its impossible for us to be alone in the universe.
#28 Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegi View Post
The universe is infinite because its always expanding so I say its impossible for us to be alone in the universe.
Interesting POV!
Purp likes this.

#29 Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I love that the picture for this thread is that crazy Ancient Aliens guy!

Even most cosmologists believe there's life elsewhere in the universe. It might not be intelligent life. It might be bacteria or some other very simple lifeforms, but it would still be very exciting to discover!
Tom and rasitha.wijesekera like this.
#30 Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 AM

There is definitely life in the universe besides us. I think it is so far advanced ahead of us that they couldn't be bothered with us. Sort of like how we can't be bothered with an anthill. We are only interested if in the hill is the way of of our progress.In a way that is probably a good thing. I hate to think what would happen if we caught their attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page