Wi-Fi - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I got a laptop with wi-fi last year and have been trying it out at various restaurants.

I guess I don't really understand the whole wi-fi phenomenon and was wondering if some of you computer-savvy types could clue me in.

I've been using www.speedtest.net to test wi-fi speeds at local places. There appears to be a huge variation, like on the order of the fastest being 70 times as fast as the slowest.

Many of the places that have wi-fi do not even advertize that they have it--not even a sign on the door. You have to ask.
I don't understand why this is so. Isn't it a marketing tool?

AFAIK, the relative speeds are not advertized at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Speed depends first of all of what the customer ( the restaurant guys ) is paying for.

One restaurant can have crazy speed because they pay big money, and another crappy speed because he has a slower but cheaper contract.

Second you have the guy who sells the speed, if you live in a city you will have better speed than in a lost place simply because of the material technology necessary than can not yet be available in the middle of a desert, but it is changing very quickly.

Third, you have the other customers, there is a limit to the box speed, if twenty restaurant customers are downloading movies, you will be slower than if they are reading their mails ( yes people don't hesitate to download stuff in other people places, it can be blocked by the restaurant bosses. )

Therefore speed is atm varying a lot, until we reach technologies that will offer us more speed than we can use.

Few advertise having wifi because one it is nowadays a normal thing at least in cities and two they do no always want people to use it abusively ( not everybody likes having people for 3 hours using the net while only buying one coffee, especially if they have little sitting )

Advertising a certain speed while you have another one ( and you will always have another one ) is also, basically, criminal, and people, especially in countries such as the US, will not hesitate to sue you :-)

But you can advertise "high speed" if your contract is "high speed", but few bother and customers will always at least complain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#3 Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Speed depends first of all of what the customer ( the restaurant guys ) is paying for.

One restaurant can have crazy speed because they pay big money, and another crappy speed because he has a slower but cheaper contract.

That is true, but does not really explain much. Why is the fastest speed I found in my survey 70 times as fast as the slowest? What motivates the owners of the "fast" restaurant to pay for that fast a speed?
Quote:

Few advertise having wifi because one it is nowadays a normal thing at least in cities and two they do no always want people to use it abusively ( not everybody likes having people for 3 hours using the net while only buying one coffee, especially if they have little sitting )

The first thing is not really true where I live, where maybe only 1 out of 10 restaurants have Wi-Fi.

As far as people sitting for three hours and buying little or nothing, many places have time limits on Wi-Fi sessions to prevent that. Also, many places have outdoor seating and tables but leave their Wi-Fi on 24/7, so you can sit outside and use their wi-fi during hours when you could not be buying anything from them even if you wanted to--because they are closed.
Quote:

Advertising a certain speed while you have another one ( and you will always have another one ) is also, basically, criminal, and people, especially in countries such as the US, will not hesitate to sue you :-)

But you can advertise "high speed" if your contract is "high speed", but few bother and customers will always at least complain.

You did not read my earlier post carefully. No one advertizes or publishes wi-fi speeds where I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 PM

Why would you ask a question, get an accurate and lengthy response, and then basically tell the responder they don't know what they're talking about?

grin.gif

#5 Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

Why would you ask a question, get an accurate and lengthy response, and then basically tell the responder they don't know what they're talking about?

grin.gif

That is not what I said.

His response may be accurate for the area in which he lives, but the situation where I live is not the same.
#6 Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

So how many forums are you cross posting this question on? tongue3.gif

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#7 Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

So how many forums are you cross posting this question on? tongue3.gif

I've posted it here and on VV.

I didn't realize there was any rule against cross-posting on different boards. grin.gif

(Also, the posts are not quite the same since VV let me upload an attached file tabulating my speed test results in conjunction with the post, while I could not find that option here today, although I know VB had it in the past.)
#8 Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Maybe they don't advertise wi-fi bc many devices like the iPhone have a notification when there is a network available. Also some biz owners have found people come in just to use the wi-fi, taking seating and slowing the wi-fi speed from the regular customers. You could also ask the businesses why they don't advertise wi-fi, this will ensure the most accurate answer to your question.

And as the previous poster explained, speed has to do with the how much they pay, how much is available by the provider, and how many other users their are.
#9 Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

What motivates someone to pay more to have more is a question of funds available, funds he is ready to use, personal usage and customers usage, as well as available contracts in his area. It can also vary according to his personal prefrences such as provider X or Y because he had a good or bad experience with X or Y, and becauise he has been manipulated by an awesome advertisment for a crappy provider :-)

Perhaps is he even using a small local provider rather than a big conpany :-)

So what motivates X exactly depends on X. Ask him :-)

never seen time limits on wifi sessions, too easy to go around by changing your ip and/or your mac adress i suppose, it also supposes a certain knowledge, time, and policy that few people are willing to implement as far as i know on the old continent.

Leaving wifi 24/7 is either a "i don't bother/i don't know" how to limit it to the opening hours, or a policy to have people around even when you are closed, good for your image and some people can come one day when its open to buy a coffee as a thanks or because they feel guilty ( don't underestimate the machiavelism lol )

I did read your post, and my response stays the same :-)

There is no such thing as stable wifi speed when more then one person is using it. Even when only one person is using it, it can be unstable, especially when the service is new.

What do you want to advertise ? "Here we have a 20M/s speed" ? are you as a business owner ready to deal with the hordes of lawyers who will sue you because your 20 customers don't have this speed ? Or do you think that because it is written if your contract you will be ok with the lawyers and will only have to deal with one or two customers complaining every single day, possibly making a scene and complaining to their friends ( good for your biz reputation ) ?

Again, wifi speed can hardly be advertised, and will not be until speed is such that nobody cares about it anymore. Only exceptions will be something like high speed wifi in some hotels who are ready to use their skilled lawyers against the crappy customers, and those who can guarantee that they have such speed that even shared it stays high ( so either very geeky places and/or places with few people coming ).

I believe i responded to both the abscence of advertisment per se and the speed advertisment.

I don't get what part you don't get :-)

P.S. : some people perhaps just didn't think or didn't bother to advertise it on their doors. In the end, when you go to these places, just ask them :-)

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#10 Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

About speeds:

The speed depends on the usage as well as the technology. So one part is how many people/devices are using the service and what are they doing (sending emails, watching movies, etc). The more people/devices and the more heavy the usage (downloading movies, sending email attachments, etc) the slower the speed. But there's another component: technology. Each of those businesses that offers wi-fi has an ISP (internet service provider) and some ISPs are really good/really fast and others aren't. That is, some are going to use the newest/ best technology and they're going to repair anything that breaks whereas others are going to use old stuff and jerry-rig it. Sometimes the technology just has to do with the part of town you're in. Newer developments are generally going to have better wires (yeah, the wi-fi you use in the business is wireless but if it's high speed chances are it's going to a nearby router that's wired to fiberoptics or T1 or cable or dsl or something fast). The higher the speed, the better the technology. In some cases, the low speed in an old neighborhood will cost the same as high speed in a new neighborhood simply because that's what's available and that's how the market works. This article may help you understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_access

About advertising:

Well, if you haven't noticed, a lot of businesses do a lot of stupid things. And a lot go out of business. So I wouldnt really wonder too much about why people don't advertise something you think would make sense to advertise.

About why some businesses might give away something you think maybe they should charge for or should limit to business hours, eg "the whole wi-fi phenomenon":

It's called a draw. It's something that gets customers into a place or talking about a place or feeling good about a place that brings in more money than it costs. Like how you can buy stamps or pay the electric bill at grocery store XYZ. The grocery store usually doesn't make any money for that service and it actually costs them in labor, but it's something that makes you want to go to the grocery store because it's more convenient going there than going to the other grocery store that doesn't offer that service. Or it's something they'd do anyway, like having an awning on the entrance to a building. That awning is there all the time, even when the business is closed. But people may still enjoy the shade. It doesn't take anything away from the business to keep the awning up all the time, in fact it's easier to just leave it on. And people who stop for a rest in the shade on a hot day when the business is closed will likely still appreciate the shade and may think happy thoughts about the business and may come back later when it's open. Most businesses these days are going to have internet for themselves anyway, so to add a wireless router and offer free wi-fi to customers is an easy add-on that doesn't cost much. I have a membership at a place where they offer "free" wi-fi and coffee. It's one of the perks that keeps me there instead of taking my business elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page