Anyone miss the computer components of old? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently destroyed my computer keyboard with Diet Coke (don't ask) and had to pull out a very old AT keyboard from the 1980's era to temporarily take its place, and seriously I'm actually enjoying it! This thing weighs a ton and makes my fragile little fairy of a keyboard embarrassed by comparison. It makes a wonderful click when I hit the keys and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that. Anyone else miss the old style components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I use an AT keyboard as well. No Windows keys, no multimedia keys, great

However, computer technology from the '80s is modern computer technology for the most part. Computers from back then are just boxes with chips. Current PCs are just boxes of chips, too, they're just faster, better graphics, better sound, more RAM, larger storage capacity: Simply more of the same.
#3 Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I miss the old Commodore 64 from childhood, and the games : ) . The dot matrix printer would make the high pitched ripping sound, and there were only about 8 colours : ) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

deleted
#5 Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

+1

Yes. Brings back memories. We had all sorts of games: china miner, Gilligan's gold, Beam master, Cave Fighter, kokotoni wilf, Gumshoe, and this Barbie game my mum bought me, though I used to put Barbie in weird outfits and make her late for her date on purpose.

The games had really weird, surreal things in them.... like manic vacuum cleaners chasing you and rooms full of different dinosaurs....
#6 Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Banned

I miss my old Tulip VGA monitor. It was great you could display your colours as black on yellow or yellow or black. Oh, the fun I had with that!

Twin 'floppies' were great too. Fortunately Hippy has a set of those, though she is not happy when I get all nostalgic and cover them in 1's and 0's using a permanent marker pen.
#7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Banned

I used to have a Texas Instruments home computer that had no hard drive (this was the early 80's). I learned Basic programming on it. To store my programs, it had a cassette recorder (yes, cassette as in music cassette tape) that recorded the program to it and sounded just like a dialup modem. To store a couple dozen lines of code, it would record for about a full minute. Efficient, huh?

Also, I hate these new keyboards today. Especially the slim ones that came with the new desktop computers we got for our office last year. To use the function keys, like F5 to refresh, you have to hold down a "Function" key and then press the F-key. My example, the F5 key without holding down the extra function key, puts your computer to sleep. What a stupid idea, Lenovo!!! Other function keys dim/brighten your screen, turn the volume up/down, etc. The keyboard I use at home is by Saitek. It's about as close to an old fashioned keyboard that you can get. It has full sized keys that you can press on. It's not like a laptop keyboard.
#8 Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I miss the old Commodore 64 from childhood, and the games : ) . The dot matrix printer would make the high pitched ripping sound, and there were only about 8 colours : ) .

Yeah! I didn't have a printer, but I did have a disk drive (1541 II) that took 5.25" floppy disks. And a cassette player, of course. The cassette player took ages to load stuff, and sometimes it failed and I had to start all over. For some games, I had to put the cassette player upside-down or push on the lid while loading. (I seem to remember I even fashioned some device with screws and bolts to do the pushing for me...) So when I got a disk drive it was a huge step forward. And this was before the advent of Internet-for-everyone, but I would swap software on disks using snail mail. I had tons of games and other software. The game music was fantastic and I still to this day go around whistling tunes from that era and listen to remixes and sometimes originals too. Anyway, those were the days!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#9 Old 05-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes. Brings back memories. We had all sorts of games: china miner, Gilligan's gold, Beam master, Cave Fighter, kokotoni wilf, Gumshoe, and this Barbie game my mum bought me, though I used to put Barbie in weird outfits and make her late for her date on purpose.

The games had really weird, surreal things in them.... like manic vacuum cleaners chasing you and rooms full of different dinosaurs....

I only had one game: Family Feud. It kept me entertained for hours though.
#10 Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I miss the flouecent orange or green text on black screens.

Remember when screen savers were actually necessary? I used to spend a lot of time searching for good ones.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#11 Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Remember when screen savers were actually necessary? I used to spend a lot of time searching for good ones.

Remember when monitors used black silk over the glass to make the screen blacker?
#12 Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was called amber.
#13 Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree about the keyboards. Nothing like a good sturdy 5 pound IBM keyboard with clicky keys!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

For the Commodore 64:

#15 Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

#16 Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Those are great memories! My first computer was a Mac Plus with one megabyte of RAM, expanded to 5. Lol.
#17 Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I agree about the keyboards. Nothing like a good sturdy 5 pound IBM keyboard with clicky keys!!

Except when your trying not to wake everyone in the house up.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#18 Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

Ah, I never played any of those, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised as there were thousand and thousands of games for the C64.

Quote:

Except when your trying not to wake everyone in the house up.

I think it could be a great way to assert your authority in an open plan office though. It could even help me get an office of my own once everyone is fed up

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#19 Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually like and miss crappy old midi music. There was something adorable about it.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#20 Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

deleted

#21 Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

I actually like and miss crappy old midi music. There was something adorable about it.

I agree. I remember just a few games that used it tho. One of the Dizzy games (Magic Land?) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I only had a few games for the C64. My mom subscribed to a magazine that printed code so we could put the games in ourselves. We spent hours together where she would read out the code and I would type it in. I remember spending hours typing in code that would do simple little things. My favorite was Lemonade Stand.

Very progressive, your mom :-) I've done that too, typed in long program listings from magazines. Sometimes it was almost just numbers when there was a lot of graphics or machine code.

#22 Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

^ Yep my brother used to do all sorts of code things. There was a blue screen with white writing in caps and a blinking square cursor. I didnt have the patience to do any of those things. I tried but I was really bad at typing the coding, I would always leave out an asterisk or something and make a mess of it and get nowhere.
#23 Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I miss floppy disks, though the newer kind that wasn't actually floppy. I loved the satisfying click of putting one in. I had a small collection of different disks, each with a label written in Sharpie.
#24 Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't "miss" them because I was never around for them, but I'd still love to have one. Retro things are amazing.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#25 Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Only when they didn't suck.

It's not like I would like to have dial-up again.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#26 Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Only when they didn't suck.

It's not like I would like to have dial-up again.

I like the sound that dial-up made when it was connecting.
Tom likes this.
#27 Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I like the sound that dial-up made when it was connecting.

You mean the one that sounds like a dying Godzilla puking all over an enraged robot?
Tom likes this.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#28 Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

~~~~~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#29 Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

those memories.....

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#30 Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

You mean the one that sounds like a dying Godzilla puking all over an enraged robot?

Exactly!
Tom likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page