Access 2010 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I am so lost. I am wondering if there are any good tutoring or aids I can find online. The site the class had me look at was no hep and explained not even half of what I am supposed to know for the project. I need to get a decent grade on it as I am not to happy with my current grade in the class. I know no one who knows this and the teacher to the class was far less then helpful when I emailed him about other projects. It is making me want to cry.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have access (no pun intended) to Lynda.com?
#3 Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I just looked at it and can not afford any extra costs.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#5 Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Try this site.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010253345.aspx

Also try to Google specific questions.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#6 Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I am so lost. I am wondering if there are any good tutoring or aids I can find online. The site the class had me look at was no hep and explained not even half of what I am supposed to know for the project. I need to get a decent grade on it as I am not to happy with my current grade in the class. I know no one who knows this and the teacher to the class was far less then helpful when I emailed him about other projects. It is making me want to cry.

Are you new to Access or just new to 2010?
#7 Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the advice. It was for a computer class and I had never used it before. I was spazing out about it. I hope I will never have to use it again but now I know a little.

Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

I never understood why people have so much trouble with Access. I think people get confused because they are used to Excel.

Quick overview of Access:
Access is a little different from Excel. With Access, you put data in the rows and row position does not matter, so don't worry about sorting A-Z. You can't even move the rows up or down, again because it is not necessary since row position does not matter. The data position within a row is important (and the 1st row is usually the unique identifier). The unique identifier ensures that there are no exact duplicate records. Why is this important? You wouldn't want someone else to come to VeggieBoards and take the name SuicideBlone, would you? One record for each object to prevent problems.

You pre-define the data fields with constraints (numbers only, letters only, only allow 3 digits, etc). The data fields are not made to look pretty - no bold, italics, colors, etc. They just hold data.

Now all that raw data is no good as it is because it is a jumbled mess. What you do in Access is generate reports that present the data in an organized and attractive manner. This is where it can get tricky. The report wizard is fairly easy. Just pick the data fields, your template, etc and a report is generated. There are different view to the report. The Layout and Design views are how you move things around and set widths and whatnot. The Report view is the good looking view that you would print. The hardest part is linking multiple sets of data through relationships. To link two tables together, you have to link them by the ID (the one with the key next to it).

I'm telling you these things because I struggled with Access at the very beginning until I understood these things. It's these differences from Excel that made me understand how Access works. Basically, you work with raw data then you create a report to present it.
#9 Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I never understood why people have so much trouble with Access. I think people get confused because they are used to Excel.

Quick overview of Access:
Access is a little different from Excel. With Access, you put data in the rows and row position does not matter, so don't worry about sorting A-Z. You can't even move the rows up or down, again because it is not necessary since row position does not matter. The data position within a row is important (and the 1st row is usually the unique identifier). The unique identifier ensures that there are no exact duplicate records. Why is this important? You wouldn't want someone else to come to VeggieBoards and take the name SuicideBlone, would you? One record for each object to prevent problems.

You pre-define the data fields with constraints (numbers only, letters only, only allow 3 digits, etc). The data fields are not made to look pretty - no bold, italics, colors, etc. They just hold data.

Now all that raw data is no good as it is because it is a jumbled mess. What you do in Access is generate reports that present the data in an organized and attractive manner. This is where it can get tricky. The report wizard is fairly easy. Just pick the data fields, your template, etc and a report is generated. There are different view to the report. The Layout and Design views are how you move things around and set widths and whatnot. The Report view is the good looking view that you would print. The hardest part is linking multiple sets of data through relationships. To link two tables together, you have to link them by the ID (the one with the key next to it).

I'm telling you these things because I struggled with Access at the very beginning until I understood these things. It's these differences from Excel that made me understand how Access works. Basically, you work with raw data then you create a report to present it.

You can also link/join tables that have a common field...not necessarily the primary key.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page