How to create a Limited Access Facebook group, to maintain your privacy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I wrote this guide for a friend on another board tonight, because she wanted to be able to add random people on her Facebook account for games (mainly Farmville I think, but that's beside the point). I figured that it could be useful for people here too. I know that some of you probably already know how to do this, but it's kinda hard to figure out on one's own. I think facebook deliberately makes this hard because they want everyone to leave their settings wide open for all the world to see. Anyhoo, here goes:

How to create a Limited Access Facebook group, to maintain your privacy

The first thing you need to do is create a group that will contain the people you want to have limited access. To do this, click on Account -> Edit Friends. Go to any one of your contacts (preferably one you want in the new group, if you dont have any yet, you can remove them from the new list anytime) and click Add To List. Go to the bottom of the menu that appears and click inside the little text box that says Create New List. Type the name of the new group (I called mine Limited Access), and press Enter. You can now add everyone you want to only have limited access to that group. When you accept a friend request, you can add them to this group at the same time you accept them. If you forget to add them, you can go back to your Account->Edit Friends page. They dont have limited access just yet though, so here is how to do that.

Go to Account -> Privacy Settings, and then click on Customise Settings. Youre going to have to edit each item that you dont want to share with the Limited Access group. To do that, you need to click on the drop down menus next to each item (by default, Facebook sets this to Everyone) and choose edit. Next to Make This Visible To, I choose Friends Only, and next to Hide This From, I type in Limited Access, or whatever name you gave your group. Anytime youre in your Customise Settings page, you can Preview your profile and how it looks. You can even type in the name of specific friends to test how it looks to your new Limited Access group.

Next is your photo privacy. You need to set each photo album as visible to Friends Only, Except Limited Access, since none of the settings you just changed affects photos. Now go to your own profile and click on the Photos tab, then click on Album Privacy, just above your photo albums. Change the settings for each individual album the same way you changed the settings in your Customise Settings page. You have to remember that each new album you create will have the default privacy setting, so you need to make sure to set it to the Friends Only, Except Limited Access group. You can do this when you create the album, although if you forget, just follow the above instructions to go and change it.

And that's it! I hope it was helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Thanks, Melanie! I've been meaning to hide my status updates from my family (long story) for a while, and your post just gave me the motivation to do so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page