What operating system do you use on your computer? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What operating system(s) do you have on your computer?
MacOS 21 22.58%
Windows 49 52.69%
Linux 19 20.43%
Chrome 4 4.30%
Free BSD 0 0%
other Unix based 0 0%
KERNAL 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#121 Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 AM

I use Windows, MacOS and Google/Android . I have laptop with windows, I have an iMac and on tablet have an Android. But i feel the most comfortable on Windows, cause it was the first os I have ever used. Old habits die hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 02-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Longtime vegetarian

All my computers and devices run some version of Linux:

Three desktops run my favorite Linux distro, Kubuntu. All three arrived with window$ preinstalled; I IMMEDIATELY popped in a Kubuntu disc, wiped that nasty virus (window$) off their hard drives, and installed Kubuntu.

Three laptops also run Kubuntu. One is an HP, which came with window$ preinstalled; see above. One is an Acer Chromebook, which came with Google's idea of Linux (ChromeOS) installed on it. I TRIED to use it, but was really put off by its need to run/store things in 'the cloud' (which I am not a fan of); plus, I'd put a 320GB hard drive in it, and I wanted to install and run programs, and save data, locally. So after a day or two I installed Kubuntu on it, too. One is a System76 Kudu Professional. It arrived with Ubuntu preinstalled; I am not a fan of GNOME or...whatever that newer thing is called... I'm KDE all the way...so after a short, SHORT trial, I installed Kubuntu on it, too.

One Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet, which I rooted, and turned into a real Android tablet, rather than the limited Kindle it started out as.

One (currently in use) smartphone, a Motorola Moto X 2nd Generation, running Android.

Because of my choice of OSes, this is a virus, malware, adware, bloatware, crapware-free household!
#123 Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
All my computers and devices run some version of Linux:

Three desktops run my favorite Linux distro, Kubuntu. All three arrived with window$ preinstalled; I IMMEDIATELY popped in a Kubuntu disc, wiped that nasty virus (window$) off their hard drives, and installed Kubuntu.

Three laptops also run Kubuntu. One is an HP, which came with window$ preinstalled; see above. One is an Acer Chromebook, which came with Google's idea of Linux (ChromeOS) installed on it. I TRIED to use it, but was really put off by its need to run/store things in 'the cloud' (which I am not a fan of); plus, I'd put a 320GB hard drive in it, and I wanted to install and run programs, and save data, locally. So after a day or two I installed Kubuntu on it, too. One is a System76 Kudu Professional. It arrived with Ubuntu preinstalled; I am not a fan of GNOME or...whatever that newer thing is called... I'm KDE all the way...so after a short, SHORT trial, I installed Kubuntu on it, too.

One Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet, which I rooted, and turned into a real Android tablet, rather than the limited Kindle it started out as.

One (currently in use) smartphone, a Motorola Moto X 2nd Generation, running Android.

Because of my choice of OSes, this is a virus, malware, adware, bloatware, crapware-free household!
Hi Veg88. My son put kubuntu on an old netbook for me years ago and it still runs great. He also built me an inexpensive desktop also with kubuntu that I mostly use for watching tv and my yoga/ dance videos. I love it, so easy to use and no bloat! Son uses Mint and some other linux distros too on his stuff.

I have a kindle fire HD 2015, is it safe to root? Can you tell me about what you did with yours?
VeggieSince88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi Veg88. My son put kubuntu on an old netbook for me years ago and it still runs great. He also built me an inexpensive desktop also with kubuntu that I mostly use for watching tv and my yoga/ dance videos. I love it, so easy to use and no bloat! Son uses Mint and some other linux distros too on his stuff.
My mom was in her 80s when I moved back here, and she had a window$ desktop. She was CONSTANTLY complaining about how slow it was, and how she was always having to reboot it, etc. When it died, and we bought a new one to replace it, as soon as I unpacked the new one (an HP), I did as described in my earlier post--wiped window$ off of it and installed Kubuntu. Then I installed a bunch of things I figured she'd use (lots of games, a browser and e-mail client, OpenOffice, etc.). I limited her to one desktop (I personally set nine desktops on every computer I use, but I figured with her knack for getting flustered/confused with a computer, accidentally switching from one desktop to another would just be a problem, so I pretended it was window$ and could only HAVE one desktop. ) I configured her screen so it had a taskbar at the bottom, the "K" (menu) button at the bottom left of the screen, some pretty wallpaper, and nothing else. Then I gave her a very quick rundown (like pointing out to use the "K" button to bring up her menus), and THAT WAS IT. Instead of telling her "I removed window$ and installed a Linux operating system..." I simply said "I installed a different operating system..." (She didn't know, and wouldn't have grasped, anything beyond that.) She immediately started using it and had no problems...well, she did frequently complain that "it's too fast!!" And she commented that she never had to reboot any more.

Quote:
I have a kindle fire HD 2015, is it safe to root? Can you tell me about what you did with yours?
It's been just over two years since I did it, so the details are a little fuzzy right now. I know that it involved connecting it to one of my computers (Linux) in order to run some commands on the computer to send to the tablet. I also recall downloading various files from around the Internet, some of which went on the tablet and some were used as described above (on the computer).

Although I haven't attempted to root a 2015 model, my guess is that it should be perfectly safe to root. However, if you're a non-geek/tech person, you might not want to attempt it yourself. (I was a UNIX/Linux programmer and system administrator before becoming disabled. I'm fearless when it comes to computers because I KNOW I can always fix anything that might get screwed up. Since that's not how EVERYONE is, I normally recommend proceeding with caution with something that has the potential to brick a device.)
LedBoots likes this.
#125 Old 02-21-2016, 09:59 AM

KDE3 was okay, after that it got too bloated for my tastes and i switched to Gnome 2 for awhile. Gnome 3 is too bloated for my tastes. The default Trisquel 7 install comes with a "gnome fallback" desktop that's okay and the mini comes with LXDE which is okay, so I left that on the older machines that the 8yo was using before he could read because I'm lazy. My own preference and what I use on my super customized workhorse is Flux/JWM, usually JWM because of the bug in ubuntu where Nautilus doesn't play nice with flux. I may or may not be switching to Debian in the future; the desktop boots off of multiple external HDs, the netbooks boot off of SD cards, and I'd much rather play with virtual machines than play candy crush or argue about stupid things on faceborg. I haven't flashed libreboot on my X60 tablet yet, but it works great as an ereader once you get used to the extra weight (think kindle as analagous to trashy romance novel, X60 as analagous to beautiful hardback first edition) and my kidlet uses xournal for schoolish worksheets, which is SO much less messy, less expensive, easier to organize and no more cramped little lines that don't give him enough room to write neatly. I paid $20 including postage and handling for the tablet. Another fun project that also cost me $20 is an asus eeePC 700 series that is completely freedom friendly, even the wireless, but it only has a 2 gig SSD so it's great for learning about what you can do with command line and carrying around with me for "shock value" in public and not worrying about getting mugged. I've never worked in IT and learned pretty much everything I know from trial and error, RTFM, STFW, and kind people on tech forums. My first true love was D*mn Small Linux. It makes me sad that the internet has changed so much. I would like to give back what was given to me, but I don't just see people becoming less receptive to free software, but downright hostile to it.

Last edited by veg1973; 02-21-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: formatting--java issues.
#126 Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Apologies for the big block of text--I'm using Icecat instead of Abrowser today and apparently there's a lot of non-free java here that messes up the formatting. Since the "like" button doesn't work either, [email protected] for having a crap free household.

Last edited by veg1973; 02-21-2016 at 10:10 AM.
#127 Old 02-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Longtime vegetarian

I love KDE, but keep all of my desktops very streamlined. I don't like a lot of...STUFF...cluttering up my screens! So all of my desktops consist of wallpaper and...NOTHING ELSE! Just a taskbar at the bottom of the screen. No icons scattered all over the place, no widgets, nothing. As mentioned earlier, I always set my number of desktops at nine. I always use Desktop Cube as my method of displaying my desktops; here's a screenshot zoomed out to show some of the nine desktops on the sides of the cube, plus the wallpaper behind them:

However, even though I rarely make use of this, I LOVE that KDE has so many amazing customization options. For example, being able to have different wallpaper and widgets on each desktop. When I'm showing a new convert its features, these are things I always make sure to show. (If they're coming over from window$, they're generally speechless at how much more sophisticated Kubuntu is! )
#128 Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 PM

[email protected] That is very pretty. I played with the cube a little bit before going full-freedom with Trisquel, so that would have been 2012ish and Ubuntu 12.04ish. As sad as it is, eye candy is definitely more likely to make the average windoze user sit up and take notice than ethics--kind of analagous to bringing a super scrumptious and pretty vegan desert to a party of omnis instead of bringing up where their Colonel McTrashburgers come from. Go, you!
#129 Old 02-21-2016, 01:56 PM

I'm still trying to resign myself to the expediency of saying, "No, I'm not on facebook. There's something wrong with windows. Guess I just don't understand computers." offline to avoid becoming too bitter about the whole thing. I used to love the internet.
#130 Old 02-21-2016, 03:07 PM

It's not a lie anyway; there are a lot of things wrong with windoze; here are a few of them: http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICRO...NST_LINUX.html it's not my fault if the person automatically jumps to the conclusion that I'm patiently waiting for my son to get around to asking his boss to ask his cousin's neighbour's roommate's hairdresser where I should take my computer to ask the clerk how much I'm supposed to want to spend to buy a new one. I'd be more than willing to help out if windoze users would listen, but since they don't it's just a waste of time that would be better spent watching paint dry.
#131 Old 02-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg1973 View Post
I'm still trying to resign myself to the expediency of saying, "No, I'm not on facebook. There's something wrong with windows. Guess I just don't understand computers." offline to avoid becoming too bitter about the whole thing. I used to love the internet.
I'm not on facebook either--I deleted my account a few years ago, after learning about their covert sharing of user data, and other insidious, nasty things they do, such as when one of their 'like' buttons is clicked on any web site...and the hidden things that does, but the user has absolutely no clue about. Ugh!

I'm VERY VOCAL that there's something--actually, a BUNCH of somethings!--wrong with window$. I cover everything from its bloated price to its planned obsolescence (both in terms of always needing to upgrade software AND hardware), its insecurity, its instability, its lack of true customization ability for its users, and more. Nothing has shut me up yet, and I've been at this for 20+ years! (I started computing on UNIX and, because of that, I've never had anything but disdain for micro$oft products. I remember back in the '80s, when I had to temporarily use a DOS box (when the SCSI drive in my UNIX server at work crashed), and I sat there staring at it in disbelief: there was *NO* multitasking, *NO* running more than one program at a time, *NO* dropping out of a text editor to test a program, *NO* multiple desktops, *NO* multiple user logins, *NO* security, and you could just shut it off when you were done using it. In the 30 years since then, with all the patching and cobbling M$ has done to try to make window$ more modern/sophisticated, I'm STILL thoroughly underwhelmed by it. Compared to Linux, they're not even in the same stratosphere!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page