Questions for Mac Users - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

I inherited Oncle's g...4 (running mac os x tiger)? And have some quick questions.

what the eff do i use for creating word documents? there isn't even ****ing appleworks on here. (and no, my mac is too old to put windows on it as well).

what browser do you like to use the most? i don't like safari at all, and mozilla is okay, i guess, but i'm open to suggestions.

do you use the mail client to get your email?

are there any other programs that would rock on my new (to me!) mac that i should get?

thanks, you're awesome, i love you

wow, this fasting and sobriety is making me crazy

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
what the eff do i use for creating word documents? there isn't even ****ing appleworks on here. (and no, my mac is too old to put windows on it as well).

I think you're looking for a program called Pages (the dock icon looks like a pen and a bottle of ink). At least that's what's on the macbook pro I've been using. I haven't tried it yet so I have no idea how it compares to Word. If you don't like (or don't have) Pages you could try Open Office for Mac. (That's the mac version of a linux program I use on my other laptop. )

Quote:
what browser do you like to use the most? i don't like safari at all, and mozilla is okay, i guess, but i'm open to suggestions.

I wasn't comfortable with safari either so I just stick with firefox.

Quote:
do you use the mail client to get your email?

Nope, sorry can't help you there.

Quote:
are there any other programs that would rock on my new (to me!) mac that i should get?

I'm still pretty new to os x myself, but I've heard that quicksilver (an application manager) and seashore (a free photoshop alternative) are pretty good. Also, have you figured out how to use expose yet? If not, check here.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#3 Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I have Microsoft Word for my Macbook Pro, which I bought right when I bought the computer so it was already installed. It works the exact same as normal Word. I use Safari, I don't see anything wrong with it, but you can use any browser you want. When I had a PC I was a big fan of Chrome by Google. And yea I use Mac's mail client to get my email, its easy, convenient, and it updates for you.

As for cool stuff, WIDGETS!! I love downloading and messing around with new widgets for Dashboard, there are so many free ones on the Apple site and they're fun to play with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I have a leopard, I just use Text Edit for docs, or buy iLife, I love safari, and no, I just go to gmail direct.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM

see, i have ilife, and no, i don't have pages!!!?

wtf, oncle, wtf.

i'll check out open office.

#6 Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Beginner

I love open office. It's what I use on Linux and I definitely don't miss Microsoft Office. I liked Firefox the more I got used to it, also the add-ons make it more fun to use. You could try Google Chrome if you want more options. I really like Firefox, so I didn't see a need to switch from it, but you may like Chrome better. As far as an e-mail program, I like gmail, so I stick with that. I like the portability and usability of webmail and gmail just rocks.
#7 Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Give peas a chance

I think itunes is good, and it's free. You can use it even if you dont have an ipod... to listen to music on your computer, manage your music library, to download podcasts, and listen to internet radio stations.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#8 Old 02-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Tiana View Post

well there is The Sims 3.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#9 Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 AM

NeoOffice is available for the typical wp/db/ss stuff.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Beginner

use file 'finder' should be on desktop and type 'word' or 'mac word' all macs have mac word i think (i have G4 and mac pro both have it) it works fine you can save docs then run them on micrsoft word without any data loss, safari is the fastest and once your use to it you will realise or you could just download internet explorer that corresponds to your system from here

http://mac.oldapps.com/ lots off apps you might wanna (messenger programs and that kinda stuff) get from here

umm as for apps that rock depends what your into you already have photoshop i think if your into arty kind of stuff, you probs have garage band (but its realy **** way to basic) tbh ive never used mac mail lol i just go hot mail X.X
#11 Old 02-27-2010, 03:30 AM

I think most Macs actually just come with TextEdit pre-installed (for several years?).

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have Microsoft Office for Mac and iWork and iLife on my MacBook Pro. Pages is part of....iWork I believe. gonna double check that. Yeah Macs have text edit too.
#13 Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that office sometimes costs extra to get, so some macs only get text edit.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#14 Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 PM

I have iWork installed on my Mac Mini, but I use Google Docs for most of the time, even though I do need to use the Pages application to get proper formatting.
#15 Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 PM

BUMPING because i just got a macbook (running snow leopard) i got transmission for torrents and mozilla but thats about it

#16 Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used macs for the last 10 years and I'm pretty happy with the three that i've owned.
Essential applications for me:
  • I'm a big fan of Google Chrome. I had been having some performance issues with Firefox and I find Chrome a little more lightweight.
  • For instant messengers, I use Adium instead of Microsoft Messenger for Mac (really underfeatured compared with the Windows version.)
  • TweetDeck - Twitter desktop client, but also works for Facebook as well.
  • Spotify - Only relevant for Europeans but such an amazing service.
  • Last.fm - The app for the music social network which I love,,
  • Adobe Lightroom/Bridge/Photoshop/Illustrator - in my experiences, the mac versions of these run a lot smoother than when I'm working in Windows with them. As a photographer - Invaluable!
  • uTorrent - Lightest BitTorrent client i've found yet.
  • VLC - Absolutely essential all-round media player.
  • SPSS - Statistics bullsh8 - don't bother.
  • Word/Excel/PowerPoint for Mac 2011 - Finally, a decent version of Mac Office. Open Office is good (Hooray, open source!) but I need University compatibility.
  • EndNote - referencing software. Necessary, but I wish it was more intuitive.
  • Pages - I only really use this for CVs and personal documents that don't require forwarding or references
  • SelfControl - I use this when I need to get my head down and work.
#17 Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 PM

EndNote looks like it would have saved me many hurried 7am add ons to my papers i'm terrible at that stuff. thanks for the link!

#18 Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

OpenOffice & Text Edit (TextMate?) for docs.
Chrome browser
Thunderbird for desktop mail
VLC
Handbrake
XBMC, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and Couch Potato (my MBP basically has one reason for living)

Keep on freepin' on

#19 Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I discovered self control this past fall. It's now an essential application for me!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#20 Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

+1 for handbrake but seriously don't use it that much.
#21 Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That self control app sounds like something I could really use once classes start up again!
#22 Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM

bump and please include ipad and iphone apps thanks :D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page