Starting a vege patch - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

the b/f and i finished building our vege patch today!! w00t!! (60cm above ground so that *fingers crossed* my dogs aren't as interested in it if it was ground level) and we have started laying down the newspaper, manure, potting mix, etc etc in late this arvo.

now we are mapping out where we'll place all our seedlings for when we start planting in the next week or so.

i've also been brainstorming about how to keep the bugs away from my veges! i don't really want to use chemicals!!!

are there any plants in particular that will keep the bugs away from my cherry tomatoes and zucchinis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

there are different plants that keep away different types of bugs. i don't know which for what bugs though. i know citronella plants keep mosquitos away lol but i'm sure that's not what you had in mind.

here's a post with a link that might help https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...60&postcount=7

do you use shredded newspaper or just lay it out flat? i'm getting ready to lay out some manure and some topsoil when we get it but i hadn't thought of starting it off with some newspaper, good idea. i imagine shredded would break down a little quicker, my mom has a shredder i can borrow. do you wet it before putting dirt on top?

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

check out the book "carrots love tomatoes"...its about companion planting.

i know marigolds are good for keeping bugs away. also, mint helps. you can get your hands on ladybugs and release them next door, so they will fly to your garden and keep your bugs at bay.

copper lining your bed dwill help keep slugs away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Lady..its not necessary to use newspaper, it wont make much diff to keep weeds at bay. you could have weed seeds in your manure or topsoil itself.

but if you do want to use paper, you can just lay it out flat, no need to shred (tho if you are composting, shredded will work better)..and once you plant and water, the paper will be moist enough, so no need to water the paper itself.
#5 Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah what LucidAnne said about the newspaper. I know its mostly to deter weeds. ******* weeds!

I am growing marigolds at the present actually... but in another garden far away.

And lady beetles eh? Really? Cute but nasty!
#6 Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

oh i didn't know newspapers was for weeds,i don't see how that would work actually. i figured it was just so it would break down in the soil and add nutrients sort of composting on the fly lol.

i'm not too worried about weeds, they'll feed the composter (whenever i get my hands on one)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

The big bug problem for zucchini are vine borers. If you plant them later in the season you're less likely to get vine borers. Last year I planted them with the tomatoes and they got destroyed, this year I'll probably put them in a few weeks after.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page