I'm assuming this goes here? If not, please move to appropriate forum.
You will need: An avocado, 3 toothpicks, and a jar.
I'm taking this straight from a book called "The Hippie Handbook: How to Tie-Dye A T-shirt, Flash a Peace Sign, and Other Essential Skills for the Carefree Life" by Chelsea Cain (a must read for any repressed hippie like me
1. Peel and eat the avocado. Save the pit.
2. Let the seed dry for 48 hours.
3. Peel off the papery brown skin
4. Insert 3 toothpicks equidistant from each other around the middle of the seed, pushing them in far enough to feel securely lodged.
5. Place the seed, pointed end up, in the jar so that the toothpicks rest on the edge of the jar's mouth, suspending the seed.
6. Add warm water to the jar so that the bottom third of the seed is submerged.
7. Put the jar in a warm spot away from direct sunlight.
8. Check the seed daily, adding warm water to the jar so that the bottom third of the seed is always in water.
9. When the seed begins to sprout roots, move the jar to a windowsill.
10. Soon you will see a stem push up through the pit. When the stem is 3 to 4 inches high, you can plant the seed in soil.
I'm going to have to buy more avocados and try this (plus an excuse to buy even more avocados besides the fact I love them)!