How to grow an avocado sprout from a seed in a jar - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm assuming this goes here? If not, please move to appropriate forum.

You will need: An avocado, 3 toothpicks, and a jar.

I'm taking this straight from a book called "The Hippie Handbook: How to Tie-Dye A T-shirt, Flash a Peace Sign, and Other Essential Skills for the Carefree Life" by Chelsea Cain (a must read for any repressed hippie like me ).

1. Peel and eat the avocado. Save the pit.

2. Let the seed dry for 48 hours.

3. Peel off the papery brown skin

4. Insert 3 toothpicks equidistant from each other around the middle of the seed, pushing them in far enough to feel securely lodged.

5. Place the seed, pointed end up, in the jar so that the toothpicks rest on the edge of the jar's mouth, suspending the seed.

6. Add warm water to the jar so that the bottom third of the seed is submerged.

7. Put the jar in a warm spot away from direct sunlight.

8. Check the seed daily, adding warm water to the jar so that the bottom third of the seed is always in water.

9. When the seed begins to sprout roots, move the jar to a windowsill.

10. Soon you will see a stem push up through the pit. When the stem is 3 to 4 inches high, you can plant the seed in soil.

I'm going to have to buy more avocados and try this (plus an excuse to buy even more avocados besides the fact I love them)!

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried this a while ago and it didn't work...not sure if I did it exactly right, though. So I may try again now that you posted the directions!
#3 Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive read this before elsewhere, incl. a note to expect many many weeks go by between steps 8 and 9. Sounds like an excellent way to school oneself to patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Feh, I'm never gonna have enough patience to do that, even if it sounds like a good thing.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I lived somewhere warmer, so I could grow an avacado tree.

I love avacados.
#6 Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

^ you can grow one in your house. they make pretty houseplants.
#7 Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

i did this about 2 years ago. i started 10 pits, got 2 to grow. one died at about a foot tall, the other one is now 9 foot tall and 6 foot wide and i keep having to hack bits off cos its taking over the apartment and hits the ceiling.
#8 Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i did this about 2 years ago. i started 10 pits, got 2 to grow. one died at about a foot tall, the other one is now 9 foot tall and 6 foot wide and i keep having to hack bits off cos its taking over the apartment and hits the ceiling.

Do you get a successful amount of fruit off of it? I'd like to try doing this, but I don't really need anymore houseplants. If I could get a good amount of avocados off it, i'd reconsider.
#9 Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Do you get a successful amount of fruit off of it? I'd like to try doing this, but I don't really need anymore houseplants. If I could get a good amount of avocados off it, i'd reconsider.

i'm pretty sure that i won't. i read that they need to hit 15 foot, and get much more sunlight and heat than they will in an apartment in canada. if i was in california and it was outside, maybe, but no way here.
#10 Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

This is from our avocado tree. When we opened the avocado, there was a sprout coming from the bottom of the seed, so we stuck toothpicks in the sides and hovered it on the top of the water, like you see here.

However, it's from a grafted tree to make a Fairchild Avocado (it's such an awesome kind *nom nom nom*) which means that any fruit that comes this seed won't be exactly the same as a Fairchild. But anyways, we didn't want to abort this little baby seedling, so we're helping it grow instead.

We let it hang out in the window and one of the cats jumped up there earlier in the week and knocked it down, which caused the two sides of the seeds to break apart. If you can see in the bottom, the other half is down in the water, which I should probably fish out. But it's cool because now you can see the top of the root system in the seed. We should probably pot this soon, hmm? Haha.
LL
LL
#11 Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i'm pretty sure that i won't. i read that they need to hit 15 foot, and get much more sunlight and heat than they will in an apartment in canada. if i was in california and it was outside, maybe, but no way here.

That is what I read online as well. I love avacados so much! I was hoping it would be a smaller tree and that I could keep it inside.
#12 Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Ive read this before elsewhere, incl. a note to expect many many weeks go by between steps 8 and 9. Sounds like an excellent way to school oneself to patience.

Well that explains my failure!
#13 Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents started an avocado tree when I was a baby, it lived until it died from neglect when I was 21. It never gave fruit and I'm honestly surprised it survived as long as it did. My parents never repotted it (they had it in a huge pot to begin with), they never did anything to it really, and during it's final years they kept it by the back door which was opened a lot and we lived in Washington State, not really the warmest place. The last 3 or 4yrs it only had 2 leaves at the very top. I have no idea idea how it survived so long.

I've been thinking of starting one, maybe I'll eat my avocado that I have in the fruit bowl today and try starting one.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM

I actually trie this after watching an episode of Good Eats. I didn't let it dry though, so maybe that's why it didn't work for me...maybe I'll try again next time I buy avocados

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
#15 Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny, I actually have one of these waiting to sprout right now.

I tried to do one of these for a 'science experiment' in third grade. I remember having to do something else at the last minute because it never sprouted. It did sprout eventually though, and I had the plant for quite some time.

It's been several weeks for my current one, I haven't given up yet! My hubby asks about it from time to time and I keep telling him to be patient
#16 Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

How funny. I rarely buy avocados but did the other day and decided to do this with my pit. So far nothing has come up but I can tell its sucking in the water!
#17 Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom did this a while ago. It grew a huge root that was overtaking the cup so she planted it outside. We're not sure if it will continue to grow though. It took a longgg time.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#18 Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

whataweirdo, that is awesome!

I have one growing in my dining room right now but it's nothing like that one. lol

Here are 2 that I started:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ect/020409.jpg

But only one of them made it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ct/avocado.jpg

April 15th:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ject/41509.jpg

April 29th:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ject/42909.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ct/42909-2.jpg
#19 Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Jess,

How long did it take?
#20 Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

Jess,

How long did it take?

I started mine in the end of January so it's 3 months already.

I was told it would take up to 6 weeks for the root to start coming out but mine took longer. Maybe because I didn't peel off the brown layer? ...or because I didn't let it dry out? *shrugs*

But I could definitely see that it was doing something. It was cracking and beginning to open up a little more each week so I just kept taking care of it.

Once the root started coming out, sometime toward the end of March, it started to progress a little faster. In the last 2 weeks is actually when it's made the most progress so I'm kind of excited to see how it does this summer.
#21 Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, yea mine's been in for a few weeks now. I peeled off the brown layer yesterday. Guess we'll see what happens!
#22 Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Beginner

That's funny that this came from the "Hippie Handbook"!! Guess I qualify, since I used to do these all of the time in college . . . I had about a dozen plants on the mantle of my apartment and a grow light on them. They get quite big, but always look kind of gangly. Not the most beautiful plants indoors, but each one has a lot of personality!!
#23 Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Jess, thanks for the photos and the timeline! Mine has been about two months now. I haven't given up on it yet because there has been some action - mostly it just splitting a bit. Still waiting to see what happens.
#24 Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you have pictures to share of the giant?!
#25 Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Jess, thanks for the photos and the timeline! Mine has been about two months now. I haven't given up on it yet because there has been some action - mostly it just splitting a bit. Still waiting to see what happens.

Do continue to be patient for at least 12 weeks. I have had duds, though, that refuse to sprout.
#26 Old 05-16-2009, 06:26 PM

I am definitely going to try this, just bought some avocados too.
#27 Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

About a week ago mine finally split open! I don't think it took 3 months or maybe barely even 2. Now I'm excited to see it do new things, hehe.
#28 Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine has been splitting more, but no visible growth yet. I'm still waiting! I may start another one, just for fun. I really want one now.
#29 Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't realize it took that long...I had given up on mine...now I want to try again!
#30 Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

fyvel & Macylee, will you be taking photos? I would love to see.

Here is a picture of Hazen from 5/15/09 (he's almost 9" tall):

This is the one from 04/29/09 so you can see the growth in just 2 weeks.

Cool, eh?

I imagine the growth will slow down but I was super excited at how much it's grown recently. The kids have had fun keeping track of it too. In fact, we've started another one named Tish. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page