Growing my own - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

I've recently moved into my own place and have a little yard at the back so was thinking of growing my own veggies.

They would have to be in large pots etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on where I should start! I don't want to spend too much, I'll build on my little garden over time. I've looked into it a little but don't really know what to start with at this time of year.

So yeah, any tips?

=) Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

There are dwarf varieties of vegetables; they might be your best bet if you have limited space. The local co-operative extension office can give you information about recommended varieties. Even though you have a small yard, will your plants get at least some sun?

One thing about plants in containers: you have to be more careful about over- or under-watering than you would be if the plants were growing in open soil.

Some vegetables like cucumbers can be trained to grow up a pole or fence.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Yeah I they are going to need more care, but I thought I'd have a bash and see what I can do. hehe. The yard get light for most of the day, which is why I thought I'd be able to grow a few things.

I'll pop down to my local garden centre and see what they could suggest.

Has anyone grown anything that worked particularly well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Green beans...I grew them in a large container last year and they produced very well. I will definitely plant them again this year.

I grew green leaf lettuce which faired pretty well.

My tomato plants grew really well but did not produce good tomatoes at all. And I planted a specific type that was supposed to be suited for container growing.

I am not much of a gardener, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with my successes/failures. It was my first serious attempt at trying to grow veggies. I hope to make another attempt this year.
#5 Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got strawberries in little pots, a blueberry bush that is in a 1.5 cubic feet planter box and is loaded with young blueberries, a couple of Meyer lemon trees in small pots that are currently loaded with ripe lemons, and over the winter I grew spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, lettuce, and Italian parsley. The broccoli didn't get enough sun though, and was spindly. Everything else did well. The celery is not ready to harvest yet. They all grow in the same sized planter box as the blueberry bush.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page