pressure canning - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

hello!

i hope i put this in the right spot. i do a lot of pressure canning but am having difficulty this year. i know you are supposed to be able to re-use the bands unless there is any rust or dents. i have been re-using the jars, making sure they are clean and sterile and checking the old bands. it is not uncommon for 2-5 out of 7 jars to not can/seal properly. does anyone here pressure can and if so do you re-use bands? last year was the first year i canned and we had much better success and i am really frustrated this year!

if anyone has any tips i would really appreciate it! thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 AM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Do you mean you are re-using the screw on bands, but not the lids? If so I do not know why you are having prolems with the jars sealing. I rarely have one that does not seal. Are you filling the jars too full? Are you wiping the lip of the jar clean before you put on the lids and screw tops? When you fill your canner do you let it vent for 2 or 3 minutes before you close the pep **** and start to build up the pressure?
#3 Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS View Post

Do you mean you are re-using the screw on bands, but not the lids? If so I do not know why you are having prolems with the jars sealing. I rarely have one that does not seal. Are you filling the jars too full? Are you wiping the lip of the jar clean before you put on the lids and screw tops? When you fill your canner do you let it vent for 2 or 3 minutes before you close the pep **** and start to build up the pressure?

thank you so much for replying! i had read somewhere that it would suffice to put the jars, lids and bands in very hot water while waiting to use them for canning. i tried it as it seemed easier than boiling water to place them in. that was my problem--the seals on the lids werent getting soft enough in very hot water-have to have it boiling! since then, i have been successful all the time, much like last year!! over 100 jars canned so far and still a few weeks left of the growing season!!

thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Wow smedley you are really busy!! I do a lot of canning too--have seven boxes of apples to make into applesauce probably next week. I'm waiting for them to ripen just a bit more.

I do reuse the bands but not the lids. Glad you figured out your problem!!
#5 Old 10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkie51 View Post

Wow smedley you are really busy!! I do a lot of canning too--have seven boxes of apples to make into applesauce probably next week. I'm waiting for them to ripen just a bit more.

I do reuse the bands but not the lids. Glad you figured out your problem!!

i am busy! most bands i see rust on so i am uncomfortable using them again. do you see that? how much rust is too much? and this is after only one canning with the bands.

seven boxes of apples-you better be getting busy!!
#6 Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

If there is any imperfection on any part you are not supposed to re-use it.
#7 Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM

As a new member, I just want to add how happy I am to see other veg*ns canning. Based on the number of non-veg recipes in many canning/preserving type books, I've sometimes felt like I'm the only one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page