Zucchini & yellow squash... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I have LOTS of plants, they are healthy, they are blooming.

I have yet to see a SINGLE veggie. What gives? I'm hand pollinating, too... :-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Do you see Male & Female flowers? The Males tend to be the first to show.

Any pollenators...Honey Bees, Bumble Bees, Yellow Jackets, Mason Bees?
#3 Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Well you need good sunlight (6/8hours )for pollination to take , also , re-compost the plants . Fertilize the plants once every 2 weeks with a water soluble fertilizer high in phosphorus . Plus good mulching . Then they should start to fruit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never hand pollinated. This year my zucchini were killed by vine borers, but last year I had pattypans and it seemed like the plants were HUGE forever, then had a few weeks of flowers, no squash, then had lots of squash.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of pollinators, all my other plants with flowers have done well. I'm rolling in tomatoes with more ripe every few days. Cucumbers are small but growing. Bell peppers are FINALLY coming in, with no aphids attacking them anymore.

So I have hope... especially the last poster saying she had flowers for weeks without veggies, then veggies.

Are the different sex flowers THAT different from each other? I've seen big and small, 5 and 4 petaled ones. They all open for a full day then wither up.
#6 Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 AM

The males tend to be on TALL stalks and the females are lower and closer to the main stem of the mother plant.

We are just now getting zukes...lots of green tomatoes and beans are about to flower. Because of our elevation and a cool spring we are way behind this year. Last year by this time I had zukes canned and in the freezer, and 35 jars of green beans.

A slightly fermented Nettle tea makes a good organic plant food and the used up leaves a good mulch.
#7 Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Beginner

It always takes zucchini some time to start producing. At first I always have a couple of tiny zucchini's start growing then wither on the vine. Then the plant takes off and produces LOTS and LOTS! I only have two plants but have plenty for our family.

Be sure to check the back of the leaves for any brown squash bug eggs. They are usually located in close to the veins on the back of the plants. I rip those eggs off along with that portion of the leaf and burn them. (Doesn't hurt the leaves to tear them) Once those eggs hatch--your zucchini plant is done for! I've ripped off already this year about a dozen spots of eggs. Usually there are 8-12 tiny brown eggs in a cluster...but you must check your plants several times a week. You don't want any of those eggs hatching!! It only takes one squash bug to kill your plants. They will also attack yellow crookneck and even butternut winter squash plants. Hateful things!!!
#8 Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM

I found some organic squash bug killer on Google called mr. malcolm's squash bug eliminator that kills eggs and adults. I've tried everything else in the past but this stuff works. I tried neem oil but it left a taste after using it for a while. Little devils are persistent. There are probably pesticides out there but I'm afraid to eat the veggies.
#9 Old 09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

It seems unlikely, but if squash are fed with too much macronutrients, esp too much nitrogen, they may want to keep growing bigger and bigger and never do much in the way of reproducing. That is, take longer before they start producing fruits, and not produce as many. A certain amount of stress is what induces flowering and fruiting - "hope" for the next generation. Happy contented digesting plants don't feel as much need to attach their hopes and aspiration to their young'uns. They save it for themselves.
#10 Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Update! I have producing plants now. they are making a couple veggies each, and one of my zucchinis got overwatered one day (I watered, then it rained, lol) and it looks pregnant, hahaha.

I'll have edible squash within the month!
#11 Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Update! I have producing plants now. they are making a couple veggies each, and one of my zucchinis got overwatered one day (I watered, then it rained, lol) and it looks pregnant, hahaha.

I'll have edible squash within the month!

awesome happy for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page