Tomato Growing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM

This year is my first year of home growing fruit and veg and it's going pretty well so far.

I have a couple of tomato plants which are flowering/fruiting very well - thing is though I have been advised that it's a good idea to cut off a few branches at the bottom of the plants (but the guy who told me this doesn't know the reason why you do it) so before I even consider it I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the matter as I really don't want to end up killing my plants!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Well the guys advice was not to much of the mark . Here is a link that covers the bases of what to chop and what not to and the reasons .

Just a tip re the side laterals that you trim or pick off , (not the base ones ) You can place a few in water let them shoot roots and plant them out as tomatoes and get a late crop .

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening...-tomatoes.aspx
#3 Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

what kind of tomatoes are you growing?

determinate varieties should not be pruned because you will yield less fruit (Many paste or roma tomatoes are determinate varieties. Some others bred to be determinate include: Celebrity, Marglobe and Rutgers.), but indeterminate varieties will do better when pruned.

also are you staking your plants or using a cage?

in a pot or in the ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 AM

This is my first time to grow tomatoes, too! My plants are doing pretty well - I have about 6 different ones including ones I grew from seed. It's interesting as some of the plants we have we planted in small containers to keep them little and even though their bigger sisters in the ground are producing about fist sized fruits they are growing grape sized ones. It's neat to have all the different sizes. We also pinched off some off the bottom of the plants and then others up higher that way there are more nutrients going to the ones that have flowers. We have tons of flowers.... Here is a pic of some of the tomatoes we have gotten off our plants - from nice sized slicing tomatoes to baby grape ones....

#5 Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM

You've made me look forward even more to munching on my own tomato's now - can't wait!

#6 Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I always break off the lower branches because it takes energy away from growing fruits (or so I'm told). I grow all different varieties and I've never noticed a problem with production of any of them getting rid of the non-fruit producing lower branches.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I only strip of the lower foilage if the tomatoes are not reddening up as they should (ie, getting late in the season and there hasn't been enough sun/heat).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page