fruit flies! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

so, we always have fruit around and in the summer they are a big problem. if you put a bit (maybe U.S. one eighth of a cup of apple cider vinegar in a glass and then add a couple of drops of dishsoap and stir. the fruit flies are attracted to the fruity smell of the vinegar and the dishsoap creates a film that disables the flies from getting out of the vinegar. i work in my kitchen a lot, if i am near the glass it will disturb the fruit flies and they wont go in. at night when i am in bed no one is disturbing their space and they go right in. please no comments about killing fruit flies. if you have a way without killing them, let me know.

wasnt sure where to put this, please feel free to move if in the wrong place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I am definately going to have to try this. I have quite a few house plants and those darn things are all over them. No matter how often I use insecticidal soap they keep swarming again. Cool, thanks!
#3 Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I would make sure all fruit is in the fridge and the surfaces and floors are spotless to try to prevent the flies, but you've probably tried that.

Sham, I think the flies around house plants you're talking about may be different. I have them and I think they are fungus gnats which live in the soil. You can reduce numbers by keeping the top level of the soil dry by watering the plant from the bottom or letting the plants dry out if they can take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Fruit flies prefer fruit that is overripe, and actually starting to ferment. Get rid of all such fruit, make sure it is not left exposed. When discarding fruit, wrap in old plastic bags and tie off the ends tightly. First clean the inside of any pails that have had fruit in contact with it. Non-fermenting fruit, and \\eEven some non-fruit vegetable matter will attract fruit flies, once they have started to reproduce, become overpopulated, and therefore aren't as fussy any more about just eating fruit. But if they haven't reached that point, it is sufficient to remove just very ripe and fermenting fruit.

I have used the above technique several times to get rid of fruit fly infestations. If they have nothing to eat, they will not exist. It works.
#5 Old 07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Fruit flies prefer fruit that is overripe, and actually starting to ferment. Get rid of all such fruit, make sure it is not left exposed. When discarding fruit, wrap in old plastic bags and tie off the ends tightly. First clean the inside of any pails that have had fruit in contact with it. Non-fermenting fruit, and \\eEven some non-fruit vegetable matter will attract fruit flies, once they have started to reproduce, become overpopulated, and therefore aren't as fussy any more about just eating fruit. But if they haven't reached that point, it is sufficient to remove just very ripe and fermenting fruit.

I have used the above technique several times to get rid of fruit fly infestations. If they have nothing to eat, they will not exist. It works.

they may prefer it but i have unripe peaches, nectarines and mangoes here that are swarming with fruit flies. i compost, so i would never dispose of fruit in a plastic bag. thank you for your suggestions!!
#6 Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

they may prefer it but i have unripe peaches, nectarines and mangoes here that are swarming with fruit flies. i compost, so i would never dispose of fruit in a plastic bag. thank you for your suggestions!!

If they are swarming that means they are overpopulated, which is why they are resorting to unripe fruit. As I already said, once you have an infestation, you will have to keep all fruit, as well as even vegetables, away from them. But to prevent an infestation, you only have to keep very ripe and rotting fruit, away from the area (your habitation) where you don't want an infestation.

You can put the fruit in a snugly covered container, of any kind. It doesn't have to be a plastic bag. Just so it is snugly covered. covered well enough that fruit flies, for the most part, can't get in and out. Or you can take it right out of the house and bring it to your compost pile immediately. Again, if you already have an infestation, you will have to get rid of unripe fruit, as well as potato peels, lettuce leaves - anything. But to prevent an infestation, yiou only have to get rid of overripe and rotting fruit.

I am not just telling you what I read somewhere. I know this from practical experience. I am reasonably certain one never has to resort to insecticides or to trapping them and killing them. While you may catch and kill many fruit flies with a vinegar-baited trap (vinegar is a fermented fruit product, which is why they like it so much), I am skeptical as to whether you can cure an infestation this way. I suspect they will reproduce as fast or faster than they will get killed. The way to prevent and cure an infestation is not to kill them, but to make the environment inhospitable to them.

If you have a fairly strong infestation, fruit flies will try to eat some houseplants. An infestation suggests overpopulation, and willingness to eat things they wouldn't ordinarily eat.
#7 Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

If they are swarming that means they are overpopulated, which is why they are resorting to unripe fruit. As I already said, once you have an infestation, you will have to keep all fruit, as well as even vegetables, away from them. But to prevent an infestation, you only have to keep very ripe and rotting fruit, away from the area (your habitation) where you don't want an infestation.

You can put the fruit in a snugly covered container, of any kind. It doesn't have to be a plastic bag. Just so it is snugly covered. covered well enough that fruit flies, for the most part, can't get in and out. Or you can take it right out of the house and bring it to your compost pile immediately. Again, if you already have an infestation, you will have to get rid of unripe fruit, as well as potato peels, lettuce leaves - anything. But to prevent an infestation, yiou only have to get rid of overripe and rotting fruit.

I am not just telling you what I read somewhere. I know this from practical experience. I am reasonably certain one never has to resort to insecticides or to trapping them and killing them. While you may catch and kill many fruit flies with a vinegar-baited trap (vinegar is a fermented fruit product, which is why they like it so much), I am skeptical as to whether you can cure an infestation this way. I suspect they will reproduce as fast or faster than they will get killed. The way to prevent and cure an infestation is not to kill them, but to make the environment inhospitable to them.

If you have a fairly strong infestation, fruit flies will try to eat some houseplants. An infestation suggests overpopulation, and willingness to eat things they wouldn't ordinarily eat.

thanks so much for your info--i know you know what you are talking about here. i am going to start putting the fruit in a sealed container until it is ready to be eaten. its not a big swarm, but still--would rather not have it in my kitchen!!! thanks again!
#8 Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Beginner

Awesome! I have had a small issue with fruit flies as of late. I will try these ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page