Worm bin under sink vs. patio composter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to do something, one of the two, if not both. I am researching the options, and found this, which would fit ok on my patio: http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...mbler_36_2.php

and other than that, am looking into worm bins that can go under sinks, etc. Could make one of those, but for compost, without having a bit of land to work on, I'm limited.

Pros for compost: I could put rabbit cage materials in there and they'd work wonderfully! Just about anything organic can go in there, so more could be disposed of than with the worms.

Cons for compost: I would need to set aside a decent sized chunk of my patio for it.

Pros for worms: I could keep it under my sink, it wouldn't take up patio space, and the worm tea is super concentrated, so I could maybe make it go just as far...

Cons for worms: I would have to be really careful about what they got, and would not be able to safely dispose of as much stuff.

Has anyone done both? Which would be better for small apartment dweller who takes out 2 large bags of trash once every few days? I love the idea of both, just need to work out which is better overall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM

I've done it all, and with small children I think you need a composter. The little tumbler would work and the kids would love it. Stationery composters need a spot of actual ground to sit on, but they're inexpensive and very low maintenance.

Compost under the sink is not generally a good idea. Worms like cooler digs, like a basement, and the moisture needed for composting often invites problems with fungus gnats and fruit flies. Collecting stuff in a bucket under the sink for a day or two is fine, but from there you need a ready-and-waiting composter.

In winter, if you want to keep a worm bin, you can collect worms from your outdoor compost and use them to colonize a bin.
#3 Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the imput! I'm leaning toward the composter, and would need the movable one as we live in an apartment. We are ground floor, so the worms would be happy if we went with them, but it seems like the composter will work best and dispose of the most.

Now to break it to dh that I want to spend $300 on something he'll see as silly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Which would be better for small apartment dweller who takes out 2 large bags of trash once every few days? I love the idea of both, just need to work out which is better overall...

What? I don't understand! How many are you? 2 large bags of trash every few days? It must be a large family. Are you recycling?

This confuses me. I toss out maybe 1 kitchen sized bag per week with compost and recycling. Is your trash all "compostable?" If that is the case than 300 bucks for an apartment composter sounds like you are on the right track.

I would have gone with the worms, but I guess I don't see how you have so much garbage.
#5 Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

There are 4 of us and 2 animals. So that trash includes the rabbit cage and cat cleaning stuff, as well as overnight diapers for two kids that pee through anything cloth (we've tried EVERYTHING), kitchen stuff, and I sew. So between all of that, yes, I toss about 2 bags full of stuff every few days.

And that's why I want to do the composting thing, to cut down on this. There isn't really anywhere to recycle, though I did that while living in Chicago. I've talked to our landlord about it and they aren't interested in paying extra for such things.

I feed food scraps to the rabbit (ends of veggies, etc), and we put what we can down the disposal. It just adds up fast, even with purchasing low-to-no packaging foods. (I bring cloth bags for produce and others for carrying groceries) Anyway!

Most of my trash would be compost-able. Kitchen scraps I can't feed the rabbit, rabbit cage stuff~ I would still have a decent amount that would have to be tossed, but it would help.

Oh, and by "large" I mean kitchen bag sized (13gal), not the big black ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page