Is Economic Reasons or the Love of Gardening that you're growing a garden? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

I grew a container garden last year and I had minimal success, meaning I had tiny tomatoes-(that were so good)-and lots of hot peppers but nothing else grew in my pots-(it had to be because of size). I was growing vegan organic foods both for the joy of gardening and because foods are higher in the winter, so I wanted to freeze them for winter. THis year the prices are going to skyrocket, so I am glad that I have made a raised garden and will be using the square foot garden technique to grow my veggies completely natural despite everyone and everywhere telling me to use manure and saying that without it, it won't grow but I know that it does, my mother grew one every year and we had an abundance of veggies. What are your reasons? And have you started for this season? If so, what are you growing/planning to grow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

What are your reasons? I love plants. I remember growing up with a small garden, I would go out and water it it every day, Pick the veggies and I felt so much closer to nature than buying them from the store. Another reason would have to be that organic produce is overly expensive and I don't want to give money to the chemical abusing mass-farmers, Nor do I want produce that has been shiped a 1,000 miles. So it's Joy, Environmental and economical.

And have you started for this season? Not yet. Unforunately my Brother whom was supposed to get us the supplies to make our garden, Decided his 'girlfriend' was more important and never got around too it. I hope to start with the next planting season, Though.

If so, what are you growing/planning to grow? All the common veggies that I grew before plus a few new ones. Basically whatever I can find organic that grows well around here, I'm willing to try growing just about anything once.
#3 Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Banned

I too remember going out into the garden. We hated it then, because we had to start from scratch, there were boulders and large rocks in our yard and we till it and turned it over while our friends rode their bikes, because we didn't have a tiller that year. But we grew everything from tomatoes to potatoes and my mother would rotate the veggies too every year. We had a huge area compared to my current raised garden. But, I remember going out and picking them on my own and enjoying that feeling.

I think my daughter feels like it's my thing but with the new raised garden, she'll get to participate too and have that same feeling I did, I hope. But, I agree that the prices are overpriced. I go to a year round farmer's market but it gets food from all over the world, not grown organically at all, you know in Chile and Mexico they're using heavy pesticides and the soil is probably horrible laced with lord knows what. I buy certified organic when I can, but it costs so much. With having my own veggies, I know that are fresh, organic, pesticide/manure free and I can control it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Beginner

I love gardening. Plus food is expensive to buy and canning/freezing/drying is so much cheaper!! Tastes better too and I get good exercise from working in the garden.

So to answer the two questions--I would say I do it for both reasons, economic and because I enjoy it.
#5 Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I do it for economic reasons more for Love of growing things. I love cooking too, but I hate to wash the dishes. The worst part of gardening is the constant cutting, pruning, weeding, chores. In the other hand, I feel a bit of pride when I see the fruits of my labor come out. I love fresh organic vegetables, and I can only get those when I grow my own-- but as far as going out every day to weed? Yech. You can have that. So I guess My answer is a bit of one, and a bit of the other.

Yes, I have started. Now I am working on early spinach and chard and such. It is still frost here, so it is yet early. This tuesday I am planting spinach. There was an ice storm a few days ago, I may have lost my eggplants.

What will I grow? Tomatoes, peppers, spices like Basil, Eggplant, snow-peas, sugar snap peas. I don't have a huge area, I am going to expand this year though.

I have grapes and also Blackberries.
#6 Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I garden more for the enjoyment than economic reasons. I love checking on the plants everyday to see the progression. Also, I love going out and picking some fresh veggies from the garden and making something on the spot. Can't get more fresh than that. And, there's nothing better than homegrown tomatoes. The flavor is unbeatable.

My parents always had a garden and we definitely benefitted economically from it. I picked up the green thumb from them. The past few years I haven't had the proper space or conditions to garden. But this year I'm in a new place with a nice sunny balcony that I'm going to do some gardening on. Since I'm using containers, and it's my first year, the set up cost is quite a bit so we'll see how economical it ends up being. Dirt is just too expensive. :-( I've planted two varieties of tomatoes, eggplant, jalapeno peppers, spinach and green beans, and basil, parsley, mint, oregano, dill and cilantro.

I'll be planting some flowers as well.
#7 Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Beginner

I started gardening because I enjoy it (fond childhood memories here too), not because of economic reasons, but if I hadn't already started, I would be this year to save money. As it is, I'm trying to grow as much as I can, especially as much storable food as I can. I'm also a recent convert to the organic/local movement, and gardening is the epitome of that.

I've started some crops already--broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, onions, leeks, shallots, carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, kale, lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, broad beans. I'd have peas in the ground if not for torrential rains and in-law drama this weekend; they're going in today. Later, I'll be planting tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, summer squash, winter squash, quinoa, corn, beans, sunflowers (mainly to hold the beans up, but also because they're pretty and good for the birds), and a host of different herbs. Also cotton, indigo, and some dyeing plants, but that's for my fiber-arts habit.

Incidentally, compost is as good or better for your garden than manure, I'm told. I have a compost pile and it's very easy, and reduces our garbage output considerably.
#8 Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned

WOW, it seems like everyone has a full variety. Mine won't be so extensive, despite now having a raised garden. I'm going to grow lima beans, peas-(my 11 yr old loves them), tomato 'paste' tomatoes, regular tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, green onions, regular onions, garlic, and I'm trying to get some other seeds to grow but so far they haven't. I may have to buy plants of them.

I am late into the composting...I have only been composting about 2 1/2 wks but I hope to have a good amount to add to the ground. I used a base of dirt and chopped up my veggies into tiny cubes before adding, along with coffee grinds and tea. I hope everything will be broken down before Memorial day.
#9 Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm late starting my compost too, I just moved here not too long ago, I have hopes though My local gardening center has organic local humus compost for 1.50 a 40 lb bag or so, so I'm all set there too. I love that store.

I'm planting because I love to, being outdoors is my thing, and for environmental reasons. No gas used to get my veggies to me! ha! I also bought a share at my local organic CSA farm, so I hope to freeze and store as much of it as I can so I don't have to buy import food as much anymore. Yay for eating to save the environment.

I don't have any flowers planned at all though, hrmph. I'm hoping the edibles will bloom I guess. My significant other said he's going to pot me some pansies, so I think I'll be ok.

(sorry if this post was super rambly... I'm hiding at work in a corner hah)
#10 Old 04-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Banned

I added some straw that was already decomposing from being left outside. I am saving up coffee grinds to add. I'm gonna be working on my soil today. I have to lay out my garden-(using the square foot gardening technique)-and I'm going to be buying lots of soil today to put out there, to start getting it ready.
#11 Old 04-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm brand new at this (as in this is the first time I've ever planted anything). So my reasons are that I want to see if I can do it.

Oh ... and I'd just about kill for a decent tomato. I'm so sick of those little red rubber balls they sell as tomatoes in the grocery store.

Now ... whether or not I'm going to like this? I have no idea. Whether or not I'll be any good at it? I know that even less. And whether or not it will save money ... I have no clue.

But I'm willing to give it a shot.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#12 Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Beginner

MrsKey, tomatoes are an excellent reason to garden. Though if you have a farmer's market around, you can probably get good hydroponic tomatoes there, even in winter (if it's year-round). I got one from my market a couple of weeks ago and was surprised by how sweet and tasty it was.

I was excited to see tomato and pepper plants at my local nursery the other day. It's a tad early for me, but it's getting close to planting time for tomatoes!
#13 Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

I just bought some tomato plants and a bell pepper plant because I had to restart some seeds-(some just didn't germinate)-so I started them just sunday, and I figure they'll be my late crop if these germinate, I believe these will. The other things I planted have all grown. I know that I could probably go to my local Randazzooes and get some veggies really cheaply in the summer but they are awful...esp. the tomatoes. And they all come from foreign countries grown in what? I don't know...but the ones I grew last year were sooo goood, OMG!!! But, also having a ready supply means that I didn't pay to have it flown in from another country and set up here. Plus, money-wise...with gas prices and the prices of all other foods going up, I'm gonna need to cut down on something, I'd rather be something other than food.
#14 Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...I think I just love watching seeds grow to plant stage. It's one of the most unsung miracles on earth.

That said, since I've had minimal success with gardening, (though I am good at maintaining plants), I have researched more this year and am hoping to have better success. BTW, if you know how to keep squirrels from eating my tomatos let me know.

B
#15 Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Actually I hate gardening. It's true, when I was young my Mom had me stuck out in the garden weeding constantly. I can think of a thousand other things I would rather do. BUT, I prefer to know where and how my food is grown. The only way I can do that is, grow it myself. So I will continue to curse the weeds, fry some plants and over water some others, get blisters hoeing, harvest, can, freeze, dry etc., etc., etc.,because dang it, when it works, does it ever taste gooooooooooooooooood.
#16 Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

DLS-LOL!!! My daughter complains about having to help me and I tell her how we had to till up the ground by hand without a tiller the very first year and how we had to plant them and so please don't complain about having to drag a few bags of dirt into a cart and then open them up...geez!!! But I was thinking the other day if my mother ever thought that I would be the one to garden...I was probably the laziest of her kids and didn't become interested in gardening until I was 18 and we started gardening when I was like 11.

My friends are all in their 30's and they're more concerned with either buying the latest this or that or driving their kids to this and that but here I am gardening-lol. I'm definately the odd ball of the group.
#17 Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Both. It seems odd to find a teen who loves gardening, but hey, we all have our own eccentricities.

My family has a garden that's at least an acre in size. Right now we have lettuce- later we'll add corn, melons, tomatoes (usually about 300 plants!!), several kinds of peppers, eggplants, zucchini, squash- you name it. We also have an herb garden. We can our own tomatoes and juice, and rarely ever buy produce in the summer.

We all garden because it's nice to be in some measure self-sufficient. All of our neighbors have produce because of our garden, and we're able to donate a good deal of our crop to the local women's shelter.
#18 Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Purely Economical...

I hate yardwork...and gardening is yardwork no matter how I look at it.

But, I'm planting some tomatoes in a week, because I eat them a lot, and they've gotten ridiculously expensive at the store...and they don't taste that great.

I got the idea elsewhere to hook up a small line to my sewage pipe under my bathtub...that I can then run out to my garden...so they'll get watered every time I take a shower. So hooray! No more watering!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#19 Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Banned

I've noticed that food prices starting soaring lately and I have some store bought tomatoes that are very pale, barely even red, and this is like two weeks since I bought it and its still not ripe yet. I don't know whats in it but it sure is strange...

I can't wait for my garden to grow, we keep having strange weather here in Michigan so at night it keeps dropping down in temp and if isn't raining everyday, its just around 60 during the day...I know its global warming but my poor veggies are so confused...after all this is May. I hope they can weather the storm because they're in a raised garden that was built above ground so hopefully they won't react like those in the ground. At least I hope so...
#20 Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Purely Economical...

I hate yardwork...and gardening is yardwork no matter how I look at it.

But, I'm planting some tomatoes in a week, because I eat them a lot, and they've gotten ridiculously expensive at the store...and they don't taste that great.

I got the idea elsewhere to hook up a small line to my sewage pipe under my bathtub...that I can then run out to my garden...so they'll get watered every time I take a shower. So hooray! No more watering!

seems like a good idea depending on what you use in your shower. personally i wouldn't want shampoo and soap in my garden, and especially cleaning products, assuming you clean your tub unless they're all natural nontoxic products

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the idea having fresh veggies and herbs in my back yard. I suck at gardening though. Most of the stuff I plant dies. I keep trying though.
#22 Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Banned

I have them in the ground for the past two and a half weeks. It keeps raining so some look like they're water-logged! I am growing them naturally so I need to add some epsom salt to them to keep their vitamins up. I am growing all these veggies not just for me and my daughter but for my mother and friends. We are living in Michigan and we are having an extra hard time here for the last few years, so any food we don't have to pay for, we're happy to recieve.
#23 Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I garden because I like to eat so much. Nothing else tastes as good as 'still warm from the sun'. And because it doesn't get any more 'local and organic' than that. Not a big fan of gardening for its own sake; plants are cool but they don't need me mucking about with them.
#24 Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Thats the truth. Last year I didn't have a good crop due to them being in tiny containers on my porch. I learned that lesson!!! But, it tasted so good what I did produce and 100% organic. I don't even like the taste of tomatoes from the grocery store now.
#25 Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 AM

This is such an interesting thread. We all drag so much with us as we move through life, deciding what we like and don't like, or being convinced that our thumbs are black rather than green. An open mind can take you a long way, maybe even to the point where food gardening is so rewarding personally, financially and sensually that you have to do it.

I garden a lot, and saved around $5K last year when you tote up the comparable cost of organically grown food. But mostly it's about the food. Last night's main dish salad was made from Amish heirloom speckled lettuce and right now the garlic scapes are awesome. Pix here: http://www.barbarapleasant.com/tidbits.htm.

Things do go wrong, but that's part of the deal. I'll get over the root maggots in the kohlrabi soon enough.

Grow some basil this summer, and you will be hooked forever.
#26 Old 05-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

I went to the grocery store today and bought just three very tiny bags of groceries, not even a weeks worth and it came to $60. I can't wait for the garden to start producing. Everything's growing well right now and looking good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page