worm composting - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 AM

has anyone tried having an indoor compost with red worms?? i am just starting mine, and am looking for some tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

It's been a long time but we had a worm-bin at my elementary school. I remember that moisture control was important. The bedding has to be a little moist for the worms but if it gets too wet mold would grow before the worms could do their work, and that leads to bad smells. You can't let them get cold either, 40°-80°F is what I remember.

I'm sure there's other stuff you need to know, but that's all I have. There should be plenty of websites and books that talk about worm composting. Good luck with the little guys.
#3 Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember having a worm bin in elementary school as well. We used to take turns collecting everyone's left over lunch to put in the bin.

I know that we had a different area of the bin for every day of the week. We'd put Mon-Fri's lunch in a different section of the bin. I'm not sure if this is important, it's just something I remember. We used shredded newspaper as bedding. We sprayed the newspaper down and then squeezed it out so it was just moist, not super wet. We also added leaves, soil, and moss from outside to make the bin a little more "homey" to the worms.

Hope that little bit of info helps. It's been a long time since I've actually been involved in taking care of a worm bin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page