Non-worm composting - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2003, 04:05 PM

I had a compost heap for years. It didn't have worms, and it was outside, so I started a new thread to talk about it. I put yard waste and kitchen waste, including raw meat stuff, in there all the time. It took care of so much garbage, but it worked too well. I never had more than a gallon or two of compost for my garden. I filled that thing, too, constantly. I don't know what I did right. Everything just decomposed so efficiently, my garden and I couldn't keep up. It was a 114-liter, black garbage can with 2mm holes drilled about 7cm apart all over the lower half. On the bottom, the holes were larger, maybe 5mm in diameter. They were spaced about 5cm apart. The lid had been partially eaten by Tooshea, so maybe that needs a few holes in it, as well. I used a sturdy, store-bought garbage can, and put the holes in with a ice pick, but I would recommend using a drill (to conserve bandages ops: ). Put a couple sticks in the bottom.

I kept the lid on, unless it was raining. Water is needed in the decomposing process, but should be able to drain off. It needs to be stirred, once in a while. Just use a pitch fork, shovel, narrow rake or roll up your sleeves, unless there's meat stuff in it, and mix it up. It doesn't need to mix completely. Don't put feces or anything that isn't biodegradable or that was cooked (except coffee grounds and tea bags, they're okay) in there. A little metal and plastic won't hurt anything, but try to keep them out.

This, obviously, works best in hot, humid climates. For me, it took care of at least 40 liters of garbage a month, and wasn't much work. I would recommend this to those of you who want to cut down on the amount of waste you send to the landfill, but not to those who want a lot of compost for your garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, as stated in the other thread, we have a big one, and it's full! It got off to a rocky start though, as my fiance kept putting grass clippings in it. Grrrr. Now he's not allowed to, on pain of death.

I would never put my arms into it! EWWWWW! Slime and rot! EWWW! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page