Lots of weeds. Lots of gardening space. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM

I recently just moved into an apartment with a fairly decent plot of weed infested dirt in the backyard. I'm looking for some help on deciding what tools to get, tips on getting rid of weeds/tilling land, and good spots to get cheap but decent gardening equipment. I am also wondering what would be the best plants to grow. I'll post a picture of the mess soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey lucky you.

Can't wait to see the photos.

As for advice, get on your knees and dig those roots out. There's no quick way. You can use a weed burner, but it won't get rid of the roots. What are the weeds mostly made up of? If it's nettles, you're laughing! They are so easy to dig up.

Which aspect do you have?

As for what's best to grow .... what do you buy most of? the expensive things... not potatoes ... use your space to save money on the things you spend a lot on.
#3 Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM

here's a couple of pictures. didn't rotate the other one, so tilt your head.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

Hi BisonX3

Well I don't know the country you come from , so cant tell which growing cycle you are in

You might look to invest into a digging garden fork . Saw your pictures , try and wait until there has been a heavy down pour of rain or if you don't have watering restrictions turn the hose on and give it a really good soaking . It will make it easy to dig the weeds out

I noticed a brick wall , but couldn't work if it gets the sun . If it does , you can just put a wooden / brick edge about 300/400 wide and about 400 in depth try and get some compost and full it up and it would be ideal for tomatoes inter-planting with basil .

Its properly best to clear it al out first , you will get a better idea on how to plan out you garden . Some of the weeds you could use as a compost base but there seem to be a lot that are in the seeding stage so it best to just dump them

You might , when you clear the plot want to put one of these garden in . I have done a few and they really do perform well

http://www.bestgardening.com/bgc/how...nicnodig01.htm

It all depends on how long you are going to be there and do you rent or own

It looks like an amazing place to have a garden ....so I wish you well
#5 Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Yay for a new garden! If it's summer for you, you might have luck killing the weeds by laying something heavy and dark (like a rug) over them until spring. That's something a friend of mine does (she has a house with a big lawn, and her goal is to eventually replace all the lawn with garden, so she does this every year).

You might not need to till the land--people are saying now that it destroys soil structure--but you might want to get some humus or compost and mix it with the dirt you've got.

For tools, I've used a shovel and a trowel, and that's about it. For plants, I second Honeysuckle's comment on what do you buy? If you're looking to grow vegetables, things like shallots, tomatoes, and herbs are fairly expensive in the store and easy to grow. Lettuce is also easy to grow and good to have around if you're a salad person. Raspberries and strawberries are good too, but will spread like the dickens. If flowers, what kinds do you like? Would you want a garden for cutting flowers to bring inside or flowers to stay outside and bloom?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page