Starting to really produce - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday, I froze 3 pint bags of snow peas and 4 gallons of summer squash (pattypan). Dinner was roasted golden beets and purple cosmic carrots.

This morning I went out and picked one beet, two large carrots, a handful of a spicy type of lettuce, and another bucket of summer squash. The snowpeas are about done though and the lettuce is going to seed. I also got two very tiny bell peppers.

The cosmic carrots are gorgeous. I think I got a link to the heirloom seed company that sells them from TNS's blog. Thanks! The carrots are purple-red on the outside and bright orange inside. So colorful.

I gazed longingly at my avocado tree. It is just covered with tiny, walnut sized avocados. Just a few more months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, nice job! Good for you!
#3 Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I envy you your climate. I couldn't even get things into the ground until middle/end of May because we were still getting frost overnight. I am starting to get snap peas, but I doubt we'll get anything else until August at least!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goth~UK View Post

Really ?? well don't hold back, tell us more in Diggin in the Dirt forum !

Goth~UK asked how my edamame was doing in the "In My Pants" thread in the Fun'n'games forum...

I watered everything this morning because it hasn't come up yet. I guess we didn't get as much rain as I thought. The dwarf sweet corn is turning sort of yellow... maybe it needs more nitrogen. But the popcorn is growing like rockets. I planted some cranberry beans next to it. The okra is doing OK; maybe I'll plant beans next to them too!

I planted broccoli rabe (rapini) and it started growing well... then it went to seed. One of the weeds in my garden is edible- Lamb's-Quarters- but I'm getting sick of eating the enemy. It's overwhelming me!!!

I'm making batches of hay for my rabbits, cutting small amounts of red top, orchard grass, and tall fescue from my lawn and then drying it. I feed it to them fresh also, along with white clover, dandelion, plantain, lamb's-quarters, and violet (I don't know if they make good hay) Of course my rabbits get pellets too.

My wild grapevine has small green grapes on it- I hope they don't get moldy like they did last fall and I was sure I couldn't eat them. The white mulberry tree out front has berries, but they're kind of tasteless. I wish it was a red mulberry tree instead.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a white mulberry too and the fruit is just kind of bland/sweet. Pretty though!

I have terrible luck with broccoli, rabe, etc. going to seed. It seems to get buggy too.

So, how is your edamame? What region are you in? I am in Southern California, right along the coast. We can grow things year round. Unfortunately, they need to be watered year round too and that gets quite expensive.
#6 Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I envy you your climate. I couldn't even get things into the ground until middle/end of May because we were still getting frost overnight. I am starting to get snap peas, but I doubt we'll get anything else until August at least!

You can extend your growing season and start the season early by getting a little hot house , they are plastic or glass covered , they don't have to be big just 2*2*2 mtrs . You can pick them up cheap . A lot of people have them unused in there back yards , some just want to get rid of them .

Good for a long season in tomatoes , cucumber and starting plants in pots and waiting until the temperature goes up before you plant them out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page