Damn wasps next to my compost pile... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM

I just noticed this about a week ago when I went to put stuff onto my compost pile. Some wasps were flying into the corner of the wall of my house and the bottom of the screen porch. My pile is in a little indentation between the wall of my house and the side of my screen porch. I looked in the basement and there isn't a nest, because it looked like they were flying into an opening in the stone foundation which would go into the basement...but I guess they're not. I also looked to see if the nest was under the porch, but it's not. So I don't know if they've built a nest yet, I think I caught them early enough.

The thing is, I try to aviod chemicals whenever I can, especially since it's right next to my compost pile. I don't plan on using the compost to grow anything, I just want to reduce waste, but I still don't know if it's okay to use a wasp spray. Well, actually...I already did I was careful to not get it by my pile or onto to it, but who knows. Anyway, if that doesn't work, is there any other way to get rid of wasps? Or is spraying the only way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

We're pretty well surrounded by wasps here, with nests all around, and usually let them be unless they are nesting right by a doorway or on some project we're working on. The way we usually get rid of them is to go out early in the morning before they become active (it helps if the weather is cool), and knock the nest down with a stick. They will usually go away if you destroy their nest (but of course this means killing any young who are in there). If the nest can be dislodged into a box or something, and moved away, they MAY (but unlikely) be able to find it again and continue raising the young.
#3 Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

We're pretty well surrounded by wasps here, with nests all around, and usually let them be unless they are nesting right by a doorway or on some project we're working on. The way we usually get rid of them is to go out early in the morning before they become active (it helps if the weather is cool), and knock the nest down with a stick. They will usually go away if you destroy their nest (but of course this means killing any young who are in there). If the nest can be dislodged into a box or something, and moved away, they MAY (but unlikely) be able to find it again and continue raising the young.

That's the thing, I can't do anything to my compost because they're right there. Also, the problem I'm having is that I don't see a nest anywhere, so I don't know how to get rid of them. I've only been noticing them for about a week or so, so I don't know if they've had time to buid a nest yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you move the compost heap?

You can try spraying them with water, they might get annoyed and leave....or they might get annoyed and sting you.
#5 Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

Can you move the compost heap?

You can try spraying them with water, they might get annoyed and leave....or they might get annoyed and sting you.

lol...I could move the heap somewhere, but there isn't any other place where it wouldn't be out in the open. I'll try to get rid of the wasps first ( I could try water), and if that doesn't work...I guess I'd have to find a different spot or even try make some kind of bin for it.
#6 Old 07-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Wasps really are a pain and they make life very complicated if you don't feel comfortable just spraying them with pesticide.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page