Broken Tomato Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I accidentally mostly broke off the top of my biggest tomato plant with the flower this morning ! I was trying to prune away a low branch and it snapped in half. I immediately took a thin bamboo stake and some twine and lined it up again and tied it so it was stable. Any chance it will repair back together again?? This actually sort of worked with a smaller plant I broke (much to my surprise). I've also read you can take the broken half and re-root it in a glass of water. Should I just go this route? My poor tomato!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I would reroot it myself they can repair but if you broke it almost all all the way it prob will not take.

Just cut it off the rest of the way trim the bottum with a sharp knife ( not scissors) dip it in the rooting powder and stick it in a pot or root in water.
#3 Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Use medical tape or gause covered w/ plastic after and make a bandage and splint do not let the juice or liquid (sap) dry out. When you cut a plant it produces enzymes to create a "scab" of you can create an anorexic (airless) environment immedietly the top will re-glue itself. I dont know if tomatoes propogate by layering-- that is by starting roots from a cut off plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My patch job didn't work, but after an overnight soak in a glass of water with tomato food, the top part perked up, and my dad said the bottom part would keep growing. Fortunately, a second plant now has flowers so maybe I'll get tomatoes after all!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

anorexic (airless) environment

anaerobic

(I try to only correct people if their mistake will impair their ability to communicate in future, so I hope I haven't offended you.)

This is really interesting! I just assumed once a plant was broken it was fit for the compost heap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page