Principe Borghese

Yellow Pear

Rutgers

Burpee's Longkeeper

Cherokee Purple

Punta Banda

Hard Rock

Sugar Lump

Has anyone grown any of these, and what were your results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I tried to grow Principe Borghese tomatoes a year or two ago! But I couldn't get the seeds started properly... they got to about 1/4" and then died...

I hope yours do better. I had been planning to dry them- they're a low-moisture variety that's supposed to be good for that. And they're not a hybrid, so you can save your own seed for planting if you want.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 03-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I had pretty fair luck with Principe Borghese last year, though my soil was thin and rocky in the new part of the garden. This year I'll be growing them where the soil is deeper, so I hope they do a little better. As I recall I had trouble germinating them and getting them past infancy, so I only got a couple of plants...maybe this is just a trait they have, or maybe we both got old seed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think my seed was a year or two old, yes, but tomato seed is supposed to retain its viability quite well.

This year I'm sticking with corn, beans, a small patch of wheat, and maybe okra. For herbs I'll grow dill, basil, maybe summer savory and sage. Dill and basil usually do well for me but last year I think I started them too late. The aroma of those two herbs drive me wild. Someone grew basil in a plot next to mine last year, and I often touched the leaves and smelled my fingers.

One herb I might try is lovage.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 03-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I love basil! I've had trouble starting it before, but this year I'm going to use a hot pad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page