Raspberries - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

Anyone have advice on growing raspberries in a high-desert environment? I have ordered 12 plants from Gurneys and will be planting them on an east-facing slope. The soil is (well, was) a combination of sand and heavy clay. The PH is dead-on neutral, but nutrients were non-existant. Over the past year, I've mixed straw, peat moss and manure into the area they'll be planted in, and will be adding a couple buckets of commercial compost just before planting.

So, how far about should they be planted? How often do they need to be watered, and how heavily? Do they need mulching? Are you supposed to cut the canes each year (I read this somewhere, but don't get it, since the wild raspberries I'm familiar with obviously don't get cut annually)?

Any comments or other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

kachina, wherebouts do you live?

I've been reading up a bit on raspberries since my sweetie was talking about planting some in his backyard (he's in albuquerque, which I think is also "high desert" - correct?).

They do need to be watered frequently during the first year or so - or at least kept damp - not allowed to get bone dry anyway. After that I'm a little ore unclear, as there seem to be varying opinions...

You'll have better yield if you cut the canes back every winter - and less chance of insect problems - the domestic raspberries are more suseptible to rot and insects than wild ones. I'm not exactly sure how to do that though, still reading! Mulching over the winter - yes - I am not sure about otherwise... I would think to help keep moisture in the soil it would be a good idea though?

It's actually hard to find reliable info. about growing them in high-desert areas - a lot of it directly contradicts other information I've found, so... I'm still reading

Good luck and let me know how yours turn out, I'd love to know!
#3 Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned

Thanks! I'm about 4 hours from Albuquerque. We're a little colder (zone 5) because we're at 6000 ft. Basically the same environment though. Thanks for the info on cutting ... I'm guessing a lawnmower or heavy-duty weedwhacker would do the trick (or failing that, a scythe!).

I'll report back on our success -- or lack thereof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Many kinds of raspberries only bear on stems two year old or older. So if you cut them back every year, you'll never get raspberries. I think you can increase production by cutting out older stems (they don't bear as well when three or four years old).

Other kinds only bear on new growth, so cutting them completely back gets you the maximum number of raspberries. The nursery you bought your plants from should be able to tell you which kind you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page