Most Creative Container contest... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

And it just so happens, I have the first entry.

Oatmeal, btw, your hydrophonics garden is excluded from the contest...you'd win hands down.

Great way to recycle little tykes I'd say!

Btw, those are cucs.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

great idea bethanie!!!

I should make similar good use of some of the JUNK I have around here!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 06-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Cute bethanie! My mom keeps hen and chicks in old boots, some grow out the top, one or two come out of the hole in the toe.

A neighbor has an old toilet by her mailbox that is always full of red geraniums and blue (cornflowers I think) in the sitting area and white pansies cascading down from the tank.

An aunt always kept strawberries in a leaky old wheelbarrow.

The only clever thing I do does not involve dirt. When ever "Its A Boy" I have a bouquet put into the bed of a dump or pickup truck to take to mom and if "Its A Girl" I put a little dolly in a baby bed with flowers. Probably sexist but indoctrinate me later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

oh wow, that toilet sounds pretty. Now I wish I had a toilet laying around to plant up

Your flower arranging also sounds neat. A teensy bit sexist, but that's okay.

B
#5 Old 06-28-2003, 06:38 PM

Here's mine, made from an old oil-drip pan. I found it in my basement--we rent here, so who know's how old it is. It's galvanized, and I didn't bother to scrub the sides, giving it a more rustic look. Plopped it on top of this big ol' log we have on our porch.

I've got some annuals, and one Savory herb plant. Was thinking about finding something that will "poke" out of the spout of the pan. The snap-dragons need some love, but the others are doin' alright.

See my cool pepper ceramic planter back behind there? I found that at a flea market. Looks just like a bell pepper!! Had a crack in the bottom of it, but that's cool, cause it needs drainage anyway! Looks like the bit of Thyme I put in there is doing better than it's brother in my larger herb container! With all this rain on the east coast (finally it's drying out, now), a lot of plants just rotted in the ground or planter, and got stinky. Yuck!

I'd like to put moss on the log. I've heard once that you can make your own moss by blending a bit of moss with some water, then you can spray or spread it on a surface. It then grows to moss. Anybody ever done this? I'm wondering how much you need to start.

More, More Creative Planters, folks!!
LL
#6 Old 06-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh That's COOL! You're right, very rustic. Oh and thanks for posting Justine, I was beginning to think everyone else just used clay pots.

Where on the east coast are you btw?

B
#7 Old 06-28-2003, 11:47 PM

West Virginia--Eastern Panhandle. We're right on the Potomac River. Good soil, but shady from the large trees and mountain behind us.

Hey--what the heck else was I gonna use this old thing for? And I needed more potting vessels. Pots can get expensive! I've pained them up all cute before--got the cheapo Terra-cotta at Wal-Mart. Cute and fun, if you're feelin' crafty and got the time. . .

Happy gardening!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page