Dvmarie Garden Update :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

All but the peppers have bounced back since their episode with the pepper vinegar. The peppers are not dead, but I doubt they will produce very well (don't have the heart to just uproot them)

I have the Japanese cucumbers growing up long strong branches I stuck in the ground (I think it's firm enough to support them - if it looks shaky later - I'll think of something)

The tomatoes and Eggplants are with fruit and more blooms. I'm very happy the tomatoes are doing well - I was worried. In the spring they start slow and look kind of pathetic - but once the days get warm and long - they always perk up and do what they're supposed to.

The bugs got my Komastuna - so I'm going to have to re-seed. No problem though because they sprout fast and are cheap to buy.

I finally got the nerve to thin the zucchini seedlings down to just 4. I cringed as I snipped off the losers (I would have pulled them up carefully and moved them - but I didn't want to disturb the roots of the one's that made the cut).

The soy beans are miserable - all three plantings (they look puny and pathetic); however, the bush beans are growing great.

I have edible amaranth in the seedling stage - so far none of the garden pests have noticed them (knocking on wood)

The spinach is hanging on!!!!! Love it!! I'm sure soon it will be bolting, but until then I can have spinach salad every night.

The swiss chard bounced back from the vinegar incident - and now I have some leaves to harvest . I'm hoping the chard will stay with me all summer.

That's it from Dorie's Patchwork Garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

wow dvmarie, you're an inspiration!
#3 Old 06-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank Bethanie

I don't know what got into me - maybe I just need a space to ramble I guess. Things have been kind of stressful for me the past couple of weeks. So much so that I lost my quit!! I cannot believe that I relapsed - it's just incredible to me. I got hold of myself though - and now I've gotten myself down to just a 2 cig smoke in the morning - Friday it's Quit day again (argh - the reason I keep my quit is so I don't have to quit again......I hate that first month). I hate smoking!!!!!!!! I'd been quit for 6 months this last stretch....now friday it's day one again (sigh). I feel like such an addict if I relapse (thankfully I'm experienced now - and relapses occur very seldom - and when they do I can pull myself right back on track in a short amount of time)

Why am I rambling like this?

I need therapy - that's what I need (but I can't afford it because I'm saving to put a down payment on a house in December)

So anyway (please - everyone just stop reading now - because this is just me typing you know?? - it doesn' t mean anything)

Yesterday I decided to just find a little corner and just type some stuff you know? (what better corner than the gardening forum?) hahaha.

Maybe I'll just post here for therapy once a day or something - and just talk about the garden (the only thing in my life that isn't a friggin' rat race.....)

Okay, I'm done now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've read it to the end...!

Good rant and a cozy little corner you found for it!

I'm sure you'll bring the S problem under control. It's not about how long can you go without having any, but how much you smoke all in all - on average so to speak. And in this respect, you've been doing great! Does this make any sense?

p.s. glad to hear the garden is doing better! I too think you're an inspiration!
#5 Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Hell week begins (I hate the first month de-toxing - now I feel stupid that I gave in for a week......it'll be 4 weeks before my body feels normal being normal again)

Oatmeal: I know what you mean, but for me - I'm an addict. It starts of as a few - then grows to 1 1/2 packs if I don't stop it

--------------------

We had rain last night and clouds today.

The ants are taking over.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I find it hard to kill anything (on purpose); however, the ants are just really becoming a problem all around.

I gave in and decided I would try something that seemed the least drastic of all measures.

I mixed powdered sugar with borax and put them in little cups - and sunk them flush in some areas of the garden.

The ants are supposed to chow down and then die (ack - I hate that I just said that)

We'll see how it goes

(and if anyone knows of a reason why I shouldn't do this....aside fromt he fact that it kills ants.....please let me know)

I have lots of small lavender colored butterflies. Don't know exactly what they are (variety) - but they've definately made the garden their preferred romping ground (hope this is a good thing)

ecsch - better go down and over-see the serving of various kinds of animal products (I'm really beginning to dislike my job on principal) One more year......save save save.......
#6 Old 06-14-2003, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Major Swiss Chard and Spinach harvest. Can barely keep up with it. I eat salads every night, and I've been pawining it off on anyone who will take some. Jeez - I only have one 10ft row of spinach and 2 10ft rows of chard. Ah well - since the kamatsuna (sp) is not going anywhere - I guess this is a blessing.

I have a dozen or so little mini cukes on the two vines. One is about 5 inches - but they are the Japanese variety - so I'll have to resist snipping it off for a little while (maybe at 10 inches).

Chinese summer cabbage has sprouted all over the place. So far nothing has attacked them (crossing fingers). The Amaranth is hanging in - getting 2nd set of leaves in - and don't see any chomp marks yet.

Basil is a train wreck. Don't know what happened - last year they did so well.

The weird vines I bought at the Japanese Nursery are going strong. Nobody (even my Japanese friends) knows what the heck they are - someone said a squash maybe. Bugs don't touch them - and they are crawling along up the poles - going to be interesting to see what they turn out to be.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get more weeding done - it's beginning to look kind of scary (and WHY WHY WHY don't the dang bugs eat the weeds??? - that would solve all my problems all around)
#7 Old 06-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Swiss chard and spinach still going strong; however, the insects have discoverd them (so now I have to "share")

I now have green beans. They are never too small to pick, and I have to control myself or I won't have full sized ones (nah, I'll be over-run just like I am every year). I like baby green beans - they are good in salads.

I've got some eggplant going finally, but the tomatoes in the back plot are still barren (they had a rough start - so I don't know if they will even produce at all).

Cucumbers are going strong (I've gotten about a dozen off them so far). Squash(s) have blossoms now, so it won't be long and I'll be pawning them off on people.

Still haven't figured out what the mystery vines are.

The basil is bouncing back (thank goodness).

It's not hot here yet. It's been nice!
#8 Old 06-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

DVmarie...reading about your ant problem, I've found a 'natural' bug deterrant...doesn't seem to kill much of anything, but it does really keep ants away. It is orange guard. Orange peel extract and water. It's supposed to help with roaches too, but I haven't noticed much improvement there. However, it really does keep the ants out.

B
#9 Old 06-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Bethanie - I'll try and find it online. In the mean time I might try and make some (I'll just be sure not to put any VINEGAR in it.....)

Right now I'm experimenting with yet another homemade repellent. I read that Calendula (type of Marigold) is good to plant around the garden to ward off insects. I just happen to have a big jar of dried calendula I use when making tea blends. I brewed up some and added some cayenne pepper powder (just a little) - and am spraying some select plants (the one's that won't make me hysterical if they die). If they don't kill the plants - I may try adding a little oil later. Sheesh, I feel like I'll think of anything to avoid actually dealing with my life......hahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page