pruning raspberries - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a new raspberry plant, and I'm a bit confused about pruning it. I've heard that I'm supposed to prune all fruiting canes. In what season does this pruning take place? Do I take off the whole cane, or just the 'mini-branch' that has the fruit on it? Am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't prune 1st-year canes? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, so this topic failed out of ten. I'll go with a more general question. Does anybody anywhere know anything whatsoever about growing raspberries?
#3 Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I know not to prune them the first year. After that, we sorta half-hazardly 'pruned' the smaller branches back after the growing season - like in the late fall... Now, I have NO idea if thats correct, but we did get LOTS of raspberries every summer and the plants flourished...

PM Anthony - he has lots of berries at his place, I bet he would know, he may just not have seen this post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. Mostly I know the native ones here, the thimbleberry http://www.dreamsnake.net/ids/index....Thimbleberries are delicious and have NO THORNS, unlike the evil invasive blackberries here ....

This page has some good info, despite being UK-oriented. It's more or less how I've grown them in the past. I can attest that watering between flowering and fruiting can help increase yield.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_..._raspberry.asp
#5 Old 07-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for the help. I hope my little buddies do well...
#6 Old 07-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Beginner

My Dad says: "You prune the dead canes after the growing season because new ones keep coming up from the ground" but we have a gardening book so perhaps I will look in that tomorrow to verify the accuracy of my father's statement.
#7 Old 07-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Haley.
#8 Old 07-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Sure. So I did look in the book, but they only talked about transplanting raspberries and such, but we took my Dad's advice and the raspberries seem to be doing very well despite all the beetles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page