Tomato Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I purchased 2 patio tomato plants about a month ago. They are planted in large pots on my patio.

One of the plants is blooming and growing like a weed. The other plan doesnt seem to have done much - no blooms, no growth, etc.

1) They both have something wrong with their leaves. I think it might be blight, but Im not sure. The leaves have squiggly yellow-brown lines over the surface. The lines are about a quarter-inch wide and have little black dots/lines running through the center. The lines feel a bit rough. Theyre mostly on the front (top?) surface of the leaves and only bleed through to the underside in a few cases.

2) Some of the lower leaves are wilted a bit.

No. 2 is why I think it might be blight, even though it doesnt quite seem to match up with the descriptions Ive read/seen on the net. The photos/descriptions Ive seen of blight suggest its usually a dark spot, surrounded by concentric circles of yellowish/brownish. Mine dont have any spots, just squiggly lines.

I dont have a digital camera, but Ive attached a sample illustration (did I mention Im bored today?? At least I finally found a use for MS Paint).

Ive been looking at pictures of tomato plants gone wrong on the net, and Im pretty sure my tomato plants are a lost cause. Any advise/tips would be appreciated!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks like it might be leaf miners, a little insect. They can weaken a plant, but usually don't kill it.

The plant that isn't doing well may have a problem with its roots, it might be rootbound (roots in a tight ball). Also, check to make sure it is getting enough water but not too much.

Some wilting/yellowing leaves on the bottom of a tomato plant is normal if the plant is otherwise healthy.
#3 Old 07-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Thanks! I googled "leaf miners" and the photos match my problem exactly. I should still get fresh tomatoes this summer, as long as the infestation isn't too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh good, I'm glad I could help!
#5 Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM

OK - next question:

How long does it take a tomatoes to ripen? I have "patio" tomato plant. It's supposed to produce 2-3 inch fruit. I've got a few green tomatoes of varying sizes (one quite large). I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it'll take.

Thanks!
#6 Old 07-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

They will take about a week to two weeks... depending on the amount of heat/sun the plant is getting....

Before they get totally bright red, (like orangey-green) you 'can' pick them and let them continue to ripen on a sunny windowsill - they will still have that wonderful vine-ripened taste - sometimes this keeps them from getting a bit rotton on the end before getting fully ripe ON the vine...
#7 Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 AM

Cool, a tomato thread!

I have 5 plants in my yard.. and they are all too heavy with green tomatoes, and I swear they should have ripened by now.

Could it be too hot? It's regularly over 90 F here in Utah and has been for a few weeks now. Some days it's been over 100 F. Or am I watering them too much?

I want to eat my tomatoes! They tease me, being all green...

Thanks!
#8 Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 PM

What we do here in NZ where the summers are cool, is pinch out lateral shoots from tomato plants to encourage the plants to put all their energy into the fruit, and not growing more leaves. Lateral shoots are shoots that come out of the main stem at a diagonal between it and a leaf base. (have a look and you'll see what I mean)

If you think your tomatoes are late to ripen, pinch or cut out as much of this non fruiting growth as you can, and keep new shoots from forming while the fruit ripen up.
#9 Old 08-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Certain types of slugs can cause these lines too. Try spraying the pot with beer and even a little in the roots. It will repel the slugs without killing them.
#10 Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Have you tried any recipes with green tomatoes? They make awesome gazpacho, and are incredible grilled on top of a soyburger. Trust me, if they don't ripen the way you want, there are always other options that are just as yummy!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page