Container gardening - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I have major slug problems and am thinking of growing (baby) vegetables in containers to have more control over the slug problem.

Anyone have experience with this ? What grows best in the pots ? I have books but they say you can grow nearly anything in containers... which I don't really believe... there must be veggies which grow better in containers than others ?! We have a pretty humid, moderate climate here (kind of like England, maybe slightly warmer but not much).

Thanks for giving me some feedback...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

We are doing container gardening on our balcony right now.

The winners (so far):

Strawberries

Tomatoes

Lima Beans

Basil

Spearmint

Sunflowers

The losers (so far):

Cucumbers

Oregano

Chives

Dill

I'm in Florida though - and most of the losers have a mold/fungus problem that cropped up, so I'm thinking that's weather related. We are also growing marigolds to keep away the bugs.

We started things out in plastic cups and sawed-off 2 liter bottles that had rocks and drainage holes in the bottom. We've transplanted things to larger containers as necessary. All of the tomatoes for example are now in 5 gallon buckets with cages, with rocks & drainage holes and they are doing beautifully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page