Upside-down Tomato? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone heard of this? My friend heard from a friend .... that you can take a large industrial-type bucket, drill a largish hole in the bottom (a few inches), put a tomato plant in upside down, and then fill it with soil making sure that the roots are securely held in. Then you hang the thing in your yard and it will grow and bear fruit upside-down.

Sounds like a fun idea, and it would look cool -- I may just have to try it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

That does sound cool. I know you can grow potatoes in a large plastic garbage can too.
#3 Old 05-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately I had the perfect bucket (it was even green), but I've already used it as a planter. Will have to look out for another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I know someone who does hanging strawberry plants. He uses wide PVC pipe with holes drilled in the sides for the plants to grow through and caps the bottom end. They hang from cable attached through three small holes at the top. They hang along the eaves of his house.

I never have heard of tomatos like that before. Tomatos need a pretty good-sized pot to do very well in. At least that is my understanding. I have always heard a 5 gallon bucket is best. (per plant)
#5 Old 06-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

My dad has been trying to get me to do this on my balcony because I go to his back yard and steal his tomatos.

Someday I'll actually get around to doing it. I did read a couple articles on it... it looks easy.
#6 Old 06-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I know toms like to grow downwards, maybe moreso than up the canes they are usually tied to. My mum used to grow them in her raised beds and they'd lie on the stone walls and trail down the wall and along the path. They need a lot of watering.
#7 Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

that's so cool, maybe i'll try doing that when i have a place of my own

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page