VeggieBoards banner

what fruits/veggies do you grow indoor?

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  neikom729 
#1 ·
hey!
I would like to ask you what do you grow indoor?
If it goes to me I have got 5 tomatoes plants, onions,a mango tree and a lemon tree!
What about you? What do you grow?

#2 · (Edited)
I had 3 jalapeno pepper plants which I took indoors each winter; this was the 3rd year I had them, but I think they're all dead/dying. I was taking cuttings of my tomato plants and growing them indoors each winter, but they might be on their way out too.

One of my co-workers gave me a clump of chives this year which I planted in my herb garden outside; they bloomed and set seed, and I think I'll try planting some of the seeds for indoor growing instead of planting them all outside.

EDITED TO ADD: I adopted a few goldfish from a friend's koi pond 12 years ago. About a week ago, I collected a sample of duckweed to grow indoors; they might like it as a food (not that I'll be feeding them ONLY that)... I'm picking out the snails as I find them and putting them back in the pond a couple of blocks away, where they came from.

#3 ·
Update: my jalapeno plants all died. Pepper plants are actually perennial, but maybe 3 years is sort of their maximum life span. And the duckweed got overgrown with algae- so I tossed them, and any small critters who may have been hanging out, back into the pond they came from.

BUT- my tomato cutting rooted and is doing very well. I'll have to re-pot it soon. I planted some mustard green and kale seeds, with the kale seeds being from my own plant which over-wintered (outdoors) successfully last winter.

#4 ·
I prefer to grow microgreens in indoor as they are the best source of nutrients. Nowadays, microgreen kits are available in the market with different flavors like broccoli, basil, sandwich supreme which easily help to grow these veggies into your home. They are too delicious and very easy to grow and harvest. I grow broccoli and arugula microgreens as these veggies are my favorite one.

#6 ·
A few months ago, I noticed a branch of a tomato plant being tossed out in the trash- but it was still green. I brought it home and got it to root, and now it's overwintering in a big pot, along with one of the two pepper plants I dug up and brought inside. They're sweet peppers, but longer than a bell pepper. There are peppers on them, but no blossoms- so after these grow to full size and ripen, I suppose I won't get any more until they go back outside in the spring.

One of them has what I thought would be two small kale plants from my own seeds I planted- but they look more like Mustard Green plants. I have both kinds of seeds- so they could be either. I also am overwintering two of my kale plants from my garden. They'll also bloom and make their own seeds next year, provided they survive.

Reactions: Rincewind
#9 ·
I've been keeping the two kale plants I mentioned in a cold place (my vestibule) for a time. (Evidently our winters are too cold for kale to survive the winter, at least sometimes. The plant I got these kale seeds from had survived an uncharectaristically-mild winter and produced seeds the next summer. I have tried to leave mostly-harvested kale plants in the ground over the winter since then, but they didn't make it.) These recently started putting out new leaves, and I've put them in a bright, south-facing window where my houseplants are.

Leafy vegetables such as lettuce, most herbs, and kale don't need quite as much light as other vegetables such as tomatoes, corn, or beans (and they're also smaller!), so I think they're supposed to generally do better indoors.

#12 ·
Wow! I didn't think it was possible to grow potatoes or carrots indoors... although I've heard of mini-vegetables being developed, and I suppose mini-carrots would be doable.

The peppers I mentioned are having a rough time of it. But it's March, and if I can get them outside in time, I think they'll recover.

#11 ·
One of the two kale plants is still putting out leaves, but the other (in the same pot for now) only has a very few small ones, although they're staying green. My two sweet pepper plants (in pots) are hanging in there, I think I'll take them out of the pots and plant them back in the ground when it gets warm enough.

I need to start more pepper and kale plants, along with some romaine lettuce. I can't wait until it's warm enough to plant sweet corn, bush black beans, and Romano pole beans!

#13 ·
Update: the pepper plants I was overwintering inside didn't make it- but the kale plants are doing well, blooming, and setting seed (I'm trying to pollinate them by hand, and it seems to be working: seed pods are forming!). Evidently I also have mustard green plants in the pots where the peppers were, and they're blooming /setting seed too.

• Love
Reactions: Rincewind
#15 ·
@Jacky_11 I put them outside once the weather is warm enough, but sometimes (if the plant is actually a perennial which would have lived if it was in a warmer, or at least frost-free climate) I pot it up and try to keep it over the winter. This is doable for pepper plants, which don't get too big; I've done it with tomatoes and mint also. Herbs are often a good choice for growing indoors because they're usually rather small.

BUT- any vegetable or herb will need a lot of light- more than most houseplants such as philodendron, pothos, or ferns. And sometimes insects come back into the house with the plants- like the aphids that have pretty much killed the two hot pepper plants I dug up, potted, and brought back inside last fall.

Reactions: Jacky_11
#16 ·
There are many fruits and vegetables that can be grown indoors with the right conditions and care. Here are some examples:

1. Herbs: Herbs like basil, parsley, and thyme are easy to grow indoors in small pots on a sunny windowsill.

2. Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes can be grown indoors in large pots or containers that receive plenty of sunlight.

3. Microgreens: Microgreens like sprouts, spinach, and kale are packed with nutrients and can be grown in small containers with just a little bit of soil.

4. Peppers: Peppers like jalapenos and bell peppers can be grown indoors in pots or containers that receive plenty of sunlight.

5. Strawberries: Strawberries can be grown indoors in containers or hanging baskets, and can be a fun and rewarding way to enjoy fresh berries year-round.

6. Leafy greens: Leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, and arugula can be grown indoors in small containers or hydroponic systems.

When growing plants indoors, it's important to provide them with the right amount of sunlight, water, and nutrients. Most plants require at least 6 hours of direct sunlight each day, so be sure to choose a sunny location for your plants. You may also need to supplement with artificial lighting if your space doesn't receive enough natural light. Use a high-quality potting soil and be sure to water your plants regularly, but be careful not to overwater them.

#18 ·
I moved the mild chili peppers (in pots) back indoors. Two are in one pot; the other one has a black bean plant growing with it. The bean is a bush type (rather than the kind that grows into a rather large, climbing vine, like my Romano pole beans that did really well this year). There seems to be room for another bean plant in each pot; I planted them, but neither one has come up yet. They've grown really well outside in the past.

I found out an interesting thing about beans: they can use their own pollen to set seed even if no insects visit them, due to the way the flower is shaped.