Allotment news - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#31 Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

This is our 4th year on this plot of land and finally we have cracked the "keep carrots safe from beasties"! I forgot what a joy it is to eat carrots with actual flavour. We eat them as normal vegetables, grate them into a salad with cashew nuts, apples, red onion and radish with a sweet chilli and sesame oil dressing and put them in muffins and cakes!
Being on a limited budget it is so important that the allotment provides us with food that can be harvested and eaten now and also potatoes, onion and apples that we can store and use all winter!

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ I've never tried to grow potatoes, even though they're one of my favorite vegetables. I don't know that they would do very well; as I understand it, they need a somewhat acid soil (pH of 5-6?) or else they tend to develop scab.

My peach tree had about 25-30 peaches on it the size of apricots. I had thinned the buds after the flowers bloomed but I didn't thin them enough, so they were small. Live and learn.

My mustard greens are coming along. If they're still too small by the time frost is coming I'll dig a few up and bring them inside.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#33 Old 09-26-2018, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

We had our first frost the other day! Need to get the rest of the less than hardy veg in!

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I harvested my butternut squash. I also decided to bring my mustard green plants indoors- I think they'll bloom and i can get seeds for next season, as well as some leaves to eat. I also have one small collard green plant I grew from seeds of my own plant last year, as well as a tomato plant from a cutting I took (from my cherry tomato, I think). It will be time to plant my garlic bulbils any day now.

I thought I picked/harvested/killed all the invasive-but-edible Garlic Mustard in my yard, but there are still a few I missed. Better get picking and munching!

ETA: Oh- and one of the potatoes in a bag I bought from the store started sprouting, so I've been growing that in a pot. Sometimes it seems to be doing something, but I'm not sure...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 10-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.
#35 Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

No news, except that I planted 5 garlic cloves this week. I decided the bulbils were too small to keep track of, so I'll cook them instead (they're edible). The garlic cloves will be bigger than a bulbil would be as soon as they sprout and start growing next spring. I'll start more chives from the seed I gathered from my chive plants and grow those indoors this winter.

#36 Old 08-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

ARGH. I feel like a garden slacker this year (2019)…

The garlic I mentioned in the post above grew and I harvested it within the past week or two. My peach tree set peaches this year, but either the squirrels or bad weather got rid of all but ONE. I ate that peach, and it was good... I just wish there were more of them.

My herbs (chives and lovage) are doing OK, but I wish I had gotten my cherry tomato plants going earlier. There are two butternut squash plants getting bigger too- they just started blooming.

Oh well- I had other stuff to attend to, which was a big reason why I slacked off at gardening. Maybe net year I'll get more done. I suppose I could plant some romaine lettuce now- at least that likes cool fall temperatures...

Last edited by Tom; 08-06-2019 at 03:06 PM.
#37 Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Is growing an allotment at all practical? Could someone make a business off selling the product, or is a purely a labour of love?

Let me put it this way. To those of you that have an allotment, imagine someone offered to buy all the stuff you grow, how much would it take? For say an amount of veg that you get for say $20 in the supermarket, what would someone have to offer to pay you to get you to sell the same amount of veg you've worked for yourself?

How many hours of work does it take to get $20 of veg (by supermarket pricing, based on weight of food, ignoring quality)? If you wanted to grow almost all your own food (for 1 person) in an allotment, would that be a full time job, or just a few hours a week?

I'm kind of wondering whether you could cut your carbon footprint and other environmental impact by finding someone with an allotment willing to sell their food, or does it not work that way.

Also, if we got rid of all the industrial farming, and put allotments everywhere to feed everyone, would it use a lot more land, or would it be similar?

OK, there are a lot of questions there, but not expecting people to answer all of them. Just anything you can think of, thanks.
#38 Old 08-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Considering the value of your time.... I don't think you save money by growing your own food, even if you work your own property rather than rent an allotment plot (which is what I've been doing the past 2 years). I haven't worked out how much my vegetables cost in terms of my time. Different vegetables have greatly different costs- for example, one of my favorites (okra) is quite expensive, but it's not the most productive vegetable compared to tomatoes, kale, or lettuce. Herbs are quite expensive too, but some of them (such as my peppermint and lovage) are perennials, and others (such as dill) are quite easy to grow.

If we got rid of industrial farming... I think it would use much less fossil fuel, but more human labor would be involved. On the other hand, if lots of people were growing their own food on their own property, I think there would be a lot of suburb-type housing. This could cause more use of gas by personal cars- unless public transportation were relied on more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page