VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Growing Your Own Veggies (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/28-growing-your-own-veggies/)
-   -   This is a Tomato Thread!! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/28-growing-your-own-veggies/226122-tomato-thread.html)

steve-in-kville 07-09-2017 06:44 AM

This is a Tomato Thread!!

2 Attachment(s)
I'm a big gardener, plus I love to can/preserve stuff. Some picks of my tomatoes at the moment. First pic is my Cherokee Purple (heirloom variety). Same as my avatar. Second are a "black cherry" variety. The Cherokee plants are very thick and stout. The cherry's are thinner and maybe a good foot higher. I installed drip irrigation this year on most of our raised beds (look up "lasagna gardens"). I am quite happy so far.

Knowtions In Motion 07-09-2017 07:33 AM

Gorgeous!!!! Cherokee purple are definitely one of our favorites, too. Yummmm!

steve-in-kville 07-09-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion (Post 4101674)
Gorgeous!!!! Cherokee purple are definitely one of our favorites, too. Yummmm!

Heirloom is the way to go. Last year we raised Old German, Abe Lincoln and the Cherokee Purple. The Old German and Cherokee were a toss up when it can to taste. I'd slice 'em up thick, top them with sauteed onions and mushrooms... that was a meal all in its own. And that was when I ate paleo! Homegrown 'maters for the win!!

rileyblue 07-09-2017 06:52 PM

I've got so many tomatoes growing. Last count was something insane, like 40? 45? plants. I think I have 19 varieties. No ripe big tomatoes yet, just a smattering of cherries here and there, but once they start ripening I'm going to be swimming in tomatoes! I wasn't a huge fan of Cherokee purple last year, but I grew a couple plants this year again because everyone liked them so much. Now, someone I got tomato seeds from just found out she may have mixed up her Cherokee Purple seeds with the Cherokee Lime she sent people. So I might have more. I am very excited for Chocolate Stripes and Orange Russian 117. Both grown from seeds I saved from tomatoes I got at the farmers market last year, and both were exceptional.

BlueMts 07-09-2017 10:37 PM

I'm so jealous .

rileyblue 08-01-2017 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a couple tomatoes, so far.

Dave in MPLS 08-02-2017 06:10 AM

My dad caught the gardening bug. I, unfortunately, never did (I blame lack of opportunity :) ) He grew lots of tomatoes, but never heirloom varieties. Heirloom taters YES, heirloom 'maters NO.

I'm intrigued in heirloom tomatoes from a cooking standpoint. Are there any varieties known for being extra acidic? Because I add cider vinegar to pasta sauce when I make it with commercial crushed tomatoes. I like a good bracing pasta sauce. And it seems to me there MUST be a variety out there with 'peppery' flavor undertones. Or am I mistaking veggies for wine again? :)

rileyblue 08-03-2017 09:54 PM

You could try green zebra. They're known to be tangy. Some people like them, some don't. I just tried them yesterday, and won't be eating them fresh again. What doesn't sell at the market will go into tomato sauce.

Dave in MPLS 08-04-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyblue (Post 4108354)
You could try green zebra. They're known to be tangy. Some people like them, some don't. I just tried them yesterday, and won't be eating them fresh again. What doesn't sell at the market will go into tomato sauce.

Thanks for the info. I love all the different colors I see at markets and co-ops (and in pictures!), but I never know why I'd buy this tomato over that one.

chlded 08-11-2017 09:30 AM

nice tomatoes.
i love it more than all other food )))
so, i have 30 plants in my garden.
growing now only "cherry" plants, 'cos it more good for our climate.
cheers from Ukraine.

TidyLittlePea 02-01-2018 06:35 PM

Wow, they are actually looking really great. Do you have any sort of tutorial or recommended video that shows how to get tomatoes like that? If so please let me know