tomato! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad recently caved in and got me a tomato plant, something I'd been pestering him about since last autumn. It's already a foot high, but now I'm not quite sure how to keep it thriving. It's in a little plastic canister right now with fertilizer and soil, but how do I make sure it stays healthy? Watering, sunlight needs/where it should be in a yard, etc?

Hopefully we'll have some homegrown tomaties by the end of the season from this little baby !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Sorry. That's my mom's department. I just plant and weed when she tells me to!
#3 Old 04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

The best spot is somewhere in your yard in a location that gets a good number of hours of bright sunshine each day. Plant it in some good quality topsoil; any kind of quality organic compost material can really help too. You won't need to water much if you've had a wet spring and continue to receive rainfall. If the leaves start to wilt, that's the plant letting you know that it's thirsty.

If you don't have a spot to put it in the ground, you can grow it in a pot on your deck or patio or wherever. Just use a fairly large pot, and be sure to have some sort of tomato plant cage for support. You would also probably need to water a tomato plant in a pot every day, as they tend to dry out quickly when not in the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

you have to nip out little growths that are surplus or they'll be too many leaves and not enough fruit. Ask someone to show you how, it's easy once you see which ones to do. Tomatoes need feeding during the season, and they do love water.
#5 Old 04-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe, my tomato plants are little green thingys with about 2 little tiny leaves, and about 2 inches high.

I think their a bit harder to care for, but I'm not really that educated on gardening.

(Why don't they teach this at school?)
#6 Old 04-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! I watched a movie last night called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

Despite being made in 1977 and mega low budget it was awesome, and I thought of you and your tomatoes...

mwuahahahahahaha......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page