Some Questions About Gardening - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

We live in an apartment complex, and there is really no where to plant a garden outside. I would like to plant the following inside in flowerpots, and I am wondering if it would work...

1. Carrots

2. Spinach

3. Brocoli

4. Strawberries

5. Red Poppies

6. Baby's Breath

7. Gardenias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2004, 05:59 PM

Carrots need very deep long containers, and the dirt should be very clean, no pebbles or the carrot will deviate in shape. Thin well after the sprouts appear, I mean, make sure they are spaced well enough around. There is a hybrid variety that grows in little balls like a radish.

Strawberries grow best in a terracotta strawberry pot, the vines need something to settle on, anything tiered will do. I have stacked 3 different sized flowerpots each filled with dirt (obviously), smallest on top (again, obviously) and it looks awesome!! You can use an old kitchen plate on the bottom pot to handle and balance the weight of the upper two.

Baby's breath I always had trouble with, it blooms, then dies, and it's seeds quickly grow up and they too bloom again in the fall, not too pretty when it's not in bloom. I started growing Alecea ( I think) instead.

I'm not sure about gardenias, but my poppies love dry crappy soil and seem to do best there in the hot sun.

Broccoli is hardy with nice green succulent leaves, shouldn't have a problem, just make sure you have a proper nutrient balance, same with the spinach.

Good Luck!!
#3 Old 04-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Anything is possible. Beware of cats!!

Most of the plants you asked about would way rather be outside, even when grown in posts. There just are not enough light hours or power to keep these rapid growers happy and healthy when there is a roof over their heads. The humidity is also an issue indoors.

That said, give it a try.

There are little golf ball sized carrots (thimbolina I think) that have been developed specifically for pot culture.

Instead of broccoli you might consider broccoli rabe. It makes the same broccoli type buds but they are much smaller and more abundant then broccoli itself.

Spinach will probably do very well for you. Mist it often.

The strawberry jars that sweetpeaNUT spoke of work well but again light hours are an issue. Strawberries also do well in a hanging pot.

If you have a ceiling fan or floor fan run it on low. Your plants will appreciate it.

Babies breath is big and rangy. The bloom time is short. It is considered a weed in eastern Washington. Gardenias I know nothing about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page