Indoor Container Gardening - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend and I have recently started talking about trying some container gardening in the house using a large (4ft long, 21 inches tall, 1 ft 2 inches wide) aquarium that we picked up super cheap off of Kajiji. The plan so far is to use the aquarium to plant some things that can be used in everyday cooking, such as our favorite herbs and possibly a few small vegetables.

We're hoping that the enclosed space will keep our cats out (they tend to get into anything and everything) and that the frame of the lid will give us the perfect set up for growing bulbs. He's even thinking of using the aquarium pump to try and rig some kind of watering system.

At any rate, while we do think the idea sounds pretty darn cool, we're inexperienced gardeners. I'd love to get some input from other people here.

-Are there any vegetables that could do well in this space? We were wondering about things like spinach, kale, small peppers or green beans. If it's not big enough, could we just do herbs all the way across?

-What cooking herbs might be a good choice? We do a lot of Italian flavored dishes, so basil and rosemary are definitely on the list.

-Since this will be indoors, is it fair to expect herbs and other things to produce all year round?

I'd love to hear if ya'll think this set up could work!

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand how aquariums are configured.  Is there some kind of hole at the bottom (for a pump or something) that you use as drainage?

I would think the fast growing greens - lettuce, mesclun blend, spinach - might be among the easiest to grow among vegetables

http://www.weekendgardener.net/blog/2006/10/grow-your-own-spinach-indoors-or-out.htm

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

After some more looking around, I found this guide: http://vegetables-herbs.helium.com/how-to/11279-how-to-recyle-an-old-aquarium-into-a-herb-garden-container

It suggests using rock and gravel at the bottom, but I'll bet we could put an under-gravel filter beneath that to drain water away if we needed to.

I really love the idea of growing spinach. Thanks for that link! :)

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have a little balcony or something it's also very easy to grow collards and kale in containers if you were looking for the sturdier greens.  Kale needs about an 8" deep pot and collards about 12," and both of them tolerate a little bit shadier conditions if you don't get a lot of good sunlight..

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to do collards and kale outside (and oodles of other things too), but those may have to wait until next year. We're in a newly built house, so we don't have much of a porch or back yard just yet. Hopefully next spring we'll have more of the basics done so we can do a real garden outside.yes.gif

-Animorphs, #18

#6 Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Let us know how the aquarium works, if it turns out well I may want to try it next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page