My NO-TILL/ NO-DIG Vegetable Garden. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

This year apart from turning over the compost pile’s and shoveling manure onto my garden beds my goal is to do NO digging in the garden.

So this year(as well as 2012) I will be growing ALL my vegetables using the method seen in the picture below, with one exception of both my 9 foot by 20 foot potato beds that I am growing in 100 percent straw this year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

I use to grow my veggies like that Vegman , lived in sand country by the beach , it was an amazing success....lucerne hay is what will get it going , also found it best to layer straw or lucerne hay on the top to keep in moisture...
#3 Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This looks great! It gets hot and humid here, though, would the hay and other layers get moldy? I was thinking of doing raised beds of peat and stuff, but I like your idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Does anyone have an idea of about what a garden bed like this would cost?
#5 Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

We did something similar one year but the layer of straw made a handy home for slugs to cruise around eating plants out of danger of the outside world. Our straw potato patch had a similar slug issue.

But overall it was good! I love gardening and not digging!
#6 Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post

Does anyone have an idea of about what a garden bed like this would cost?

That depends on where you live, I live in a rural area so it dident cost me much, i got the lucerne for free off a local farmer, i got the manure(fertiliser) for free off a local farmer, i got the staw for 2 dollars a small square bale off a local farmer, i got the cardboard/news paper for free from the local shops and i made the compost myself which didn't cost me anything. all up the bed cost me about 30 dollars!

but if you live in suburbia you can still get the cardboard for free if you hunt around your local supermarkets, a small square bale of lucerne hay should cost about 10-17 dollars each, 3 small square straw bale's should cost about 2-5 each, as for compost and manure you my have to go to your local garden supply center to get a price for them.

#7 Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought I heard something awhile back about snakes in hay used to grow potatoes.

Might be something to keep in mind if there's a lot of poisonous snakes in your area.
#8 Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I wonder if you could use leaves instead of hay? I know they would tend to mat down more- unless they blew away first. I have maple and mulberry leaves which I put in a pile covered with soil, small brances, and vines I've trimmed every fall.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Beginner

This is the way I am doing my 3-5 raised beds, except without so many layers. Still doing the newspaper, straw and compost but adding peat and some top soil.
#10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

This looks great! It gets hot and humid here, though, would the hay and other layers get moldy? I was thinking of doing raised beds of peat and stuff, but I like your idea.

I would think you want it to get moldy to a certain extent - it's what breaks down the straw and makes more nutrients available. In my experience, except a couple times with zucchini (and this was only due to the fact that they were planted too close together) mold in straw either as mulch or in layers does not adversely affect the plants grown.

PaisleyJane's Love Lord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page