My basil is dying - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM

And I can't figure out why. I recently transplanted it...the edges of the leaves are turning black and curling.

"The story of each stone leads back to a mountain."
 W.S. Merwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Never had good luck trying to save it as summer comes to an end. My girlfriend has a garden full of it right now, and it's just starting to get to the point where it's gonna start dying as well. When this happens, we basically just pick it all and throw it into the blender with a small amount of oil to make a basil paste that can frozen for later use in recipes requiring basil. It'll never be as good as fresh basil, but better than having to spend a fortune buying a few half dead leaves from the store

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#3 Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It's an annual, not meant to live past the end of the growing season.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

deleted
#5 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Where did you transplant it from and to?
#6 Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM

I've wondered this - can you plant basil indoors and grow it throughout the winter? (I live in Ontario, Canada) - will there be enough sunlight to grow it, or does it have to be grown during a regular growing season? If I planted some seeds now....would they sprout and thrive?

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

#7 Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolie View Post

I've wondered this - can you plant basil indoors and grow it throughout the winter? (I live in Ontario, Canada) - will there be enough sunlight to grow it, or does it have to be grown during a regular growing season? If I planted some seeds now....would they sprout and thrive?

Yes, as long as it gets direct light for at least 6 hours a day, and the indoor temp doesn't get too cold. Basil thrives in heat and direct sun. Frost will kill it, as will extended periods of cold. If you have a windowsill that gets direct sun for that long, you can put it there (a windowsill inside the house, so it benefits from the interior warmth, but also gets direct sun on the leaves). Or you could put it next to a fluorescent bulb. The closer the better, but not touching the leaves.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#8 Old 09-25-2011, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

You can pick the leaves and gently pile them in a tupperware box and put them in the freezer. They are awesome for cooking all through the winter as they keep flavor perfectly.

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page